Sign in to follow this  
ladyofbow

Building a new PC - Edited Budget

Edit: Budget $2000

Looking to build a new PC

My current is i5 4670k @3.4GHZ ( stock speed )

NVidia Gtx 770

8GB Ram

It seems unable to handle WoW ( raid setting 20 people ) and Path of exile ( on heavy load ). My budget is kinda around $1000 for system, i could buy a new monitor as well separetely in a few months. Should i get intel / AMD ?

Thanks

Edited by ladyofbow

Overclocking CPU and Ram are your best option for those games at 1080p.

IPC of new CPU hasn't changed much.

A faster GPU would allow you to run higher res and aa.

Looks like a recent patch has added DX12 and a little multithreading support to wow which should improve your performance a little.

But it doubt its good enough to see a improvement from a CPU with more than 4 cores.

63452_02_world-warcrafts-new-patch-adds-

Edited by Dasa

My computer is not much better than those stats, and it runs wow pretty fine in raids.  The biggest difference in fps comes from disabling bad or out of date addons.

It's hard to suggest options, IMO, because you didn't mention if your get good framerates if you lower screen resolution and particle effects and shadows and etc.

Your system should handle WoW fine considering what low specs WoW and PoE requires at minimum. GTX770 is only a 2GB card so you could lower the effects used during the game.

39 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Your system should handle WoW fine considering what low specs WoW and PoE requires at minimum. GTX770 is only a 2GB card so you could lower the effects used during the game.

Minimum solo specs aren't representative for what you want for playable minimums in multiplayer.

2 hours ago, Nich... said:

Minimum solo specs aren't representative for what you want for playable minimums in multiplayer.

Her specs are close to the recommended actually.

On 12/23/2018 at 10:00 PM, Nich... said:

My computer is not much better than those stats, and it runs wow pretty fine in raids.  The biggest difference in fps comes from disabling bad or out of date addons.

It's hard to suggest options, IMO, because you didn't mention if your get good framerates if you lower screen resolution and particle effects and shadows and etc.

I did run everything at lowest setting and update all the addon regularly. FPS dropped to 5-10 which is unplayable. As for PoE, it still handle the game reasonably well, but i got alot of crashes and long loading screen.

Well, certainly anything under $1000 wont be an upgrade. I can buy something about $2000 ish next month. What about a system package like this? Would it be a significant upgrade from my current ? Thanks

https://www.msy.com.au/viconline/mspec-gaming-pc/22388-mspec-infinity-2060-gaming-system-intel-edition.html

Edited by ladyofbow

A heavily overclocked 4670k will perform faster than a 8400 in those games.

With both at stock the 8400 is ~7--12% faster in old games although you could easily add 10% to that if you have really slow RAM and you used fast RAM with the 8400.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8400-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4670K/3939vs1538

Slow loads suggests you have some bloat in the background using up your RAM so a clean windows install onto a new SSD will help this.

The GPU is a massive upgrade and would allow you to max out detail settings and crank up AA with no fear of it dropping your FPS.

If you are sure you want to buy a whole new system we can make a suggestion but I suggest you take the time to OC your CPU then a new GPU and a SSD with a fresh install of windows and see how you go for a start.

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, i think i would love to get a new PC. So i could run those game in high details.

And also, My current PSU is making a really loud noise. Tried to do some cleaning but it wont work. 

Its probably another reason to upgrade.

thanks in advance

A GPU upgrade and a system tidy up is all you need to be able to run max detail but anyway here is a new build for you.

i5 9600K $419 <Need to spend a little extra to get a worthwhile improvement over the current CPU.

MSI Z390I GAMING EDGE AC Intel Z390 $279

GeIL EVO FORZA (GFR416GB3200C16ADC) Black Red 16GB Kit (8GBx2) $187 <Be sure to check XMP is enabled so it is running it's rated speed.

Gigabyte Nvidia (N2060OC-6GD) 6GB RTX 2060 OC $599 <Bit overkill if your only playing 1080p so you could save some cash with a cheaper GPU but if you would like to upgrade to a 3440x1440 ultrawide monitor this will handle it at least in those old games.

Intel 660P series 1TB NVME(SSDPEKNW010T8X1) $249

Antec (EA550G-PRO) $108 <7Y warranty

Antec A40 PRO Advanced CPU Air Cooler $29

Coolermaster Silencio 352 Mini-ITX Case $79

$1949 + build fee and OS if you don't want to do it yourself.
This gets you a high end new system that should last you some time to come.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This would get you running max detail and loading much quicker with a new PC feel by only keeping CPU,MB,RAM.

The old CPU is only ~30% slower for those games with both at stock but the gap would shrink to under 10% with the 4670k overclocked and a 9600k at stock.

Coolermaster Hyper-212X Universal CPU Air Cooler $48 <New HSF to lower noise and allow overclocking

MSI Radeon (RX 570 ARMOR 8G OC) 8GB $249 <More than capable of running those games at 1080p ~60fps with a little AA.

Crucial MX500\Samsung 860 EVO 500GB $119 <Big enough?

Antec (EA550G-PRO) $108

Fractal Design FD-CA-DEFR5-BK Define R5 Black USB3 Mid Tower Case Without PSU $113 <High quality low noise case
$637

A good value upgrade option that will keep you happy for a few more years.

Edited by Dasa
  • Thanks 1

Thank You !

What kind of monitor should i be looking at ? Would any 24inch monitor will do it ? I dont think i want to spent too much on the monitor, probably $500 max ?

A few to look at and what do you know Nvidia now works with FreeSync thanks to a driver update.

LG 29WK600-W UQFHD FreeSync HDR10 29in IPS 40-75Hz $399
https://www.pccasegear.com/products/42143/lg-29wk600-w-uqfhd-freesync-hdr10-29in-ips-monitor

Samsung C32H711 32" QLED Curved Monitor 4MS QHD 2560x1440 HDMI DP FreeSync VA 48-75Hz $463.20
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Samsung-C32H711-32-QLED-Curved-Monitor-4MS-QHD-2560x1440-HDMI-DP-FreeSync-VA-/231184494011?hash=item35d3ab6dbb

Samsung C34H890 34" LED Curved Monitor 4MS QHD 3440x1440 21:9 HDMI FreeSync VA 48Hz to 100Hz $759.20
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Samsung-C34H890-34-LED-Curved-Monitor-4MS-QHD-3440x1440-21-9-HDMI-FreeSync-VA-/331127067084?hash=item4d18b611cc