Ben Mansill

The most special people

48 minutes ago, Nich... said:

Thanks. I've been trying to compile a list, and there are a few former members I can't remember the names of. I have those two, tho.

@index680i I think he's the young guy I was trying to remember too

?

I doubt he would return but Globe, whom I talk to quite often, has long been gone.

His one time friend lectric is in the States so unlikely to logon.

Gharfield and the Fuzz, Zephyr, Donnagem, list goes on.

Cheers

This thread just gets weirder and weirder.

I guess if nothing else this can be a testament to this place, when people look back at this thread in 5 years.

14 hours ago, SacrificialNewt said:

I'm hoping you're just mentioning them in the hope they'll logon, not because they're deceased.

Pretty sure the post right above mine wasn't referring to deceased members. 

@-ing them would be pretty futile if they're dead...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, chrisg said:

Gharfield and the Fuzz, Zephyr, Donnagem, list goes on.

Those are some of the ones I very much miss here, too, along with the likes of Goth, HCB, Silhouette, Morris and a heap of others whose names don't immediately spring to mind. I also miss IvanTheTerrible and his daily bad jokes. And kunzie - or the pulling thereof... 

Of course, one of the bigger holes here that nobody else has ever come close to filling is the one that Virt left, of course.

Whatever became of MAEL? The Wallaceys?

Can anyone recall who the sometimes controversial at0mican was that pulled that really classy rank spam for his 1k that said "And just like that... he was gone", then vanished completely (although he still posted occasionally under another name for a while)

How many here remember the huge fund raising efforts to help Bailey get a new wheelchair? Was that for SirHSV, or is my memory even hazier than I think?

... and so-on and so-on.

• Like 1

?

Remember Bailey and BaiLAN which I could not attend but it was a very community thing indeed.

Cisco mentioned the Wallaceys a little while ago but yes, a lot of members not to be seen.

Speaking of Cisco, remember when we got her a new bike after hers was stolen ?

Cheers

8 hours ago, GTAV6 said:

Those are some of the ones I very much miss here, too, along with the likes of Goth, HCB, Silhouette, Morris and a heap of others whose names don't immediately spring to mind. I also miss IvanTheTerrible and his daily bad jokes. And kunzie - or the pulling thereof... 

Of course, one of the bigger holes here that nobody else has ever come close to filling is the one that Virt left, of course.

Can anyone recall who the sometimes controversial at0mican was that pulled that really classy rank spam for his 1k that said "And just like that... he was gone", then vanished completely (although he still posted occasionally under another name for a while)

How many here remember the huge fund raising efforts to help Bailey get a new wheelchair? Was that for SirHSV, or is my memory even hazier than I think?

... and so-on and so-on.

Goth and Morris are quite active on Facebook. Silhouette and Mrs Wallacey are there but don't post as much. I'm not sure of HCB and Mael.

I remember BaiLAN and did attend. SirHSV is on Facebook, but not on my friends list.

Other names I remember are Yogsogoth and Yogsothoth and a few banned people I wish weren't banned.

12 hours ago, GTAV6 said:

The Wallacys are still going along. more active at the book of faces. Mr is doing some great woodwork, and they really helped me out at a moments notice late last year. Much love for them ?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chrisg said:

Speaking of Cisco, remember when we got her a new bike after hers was stolen ?

She was alluding to that here a few weeks back.

And MacDude - remember his "at0miclock"? He ran it annually for three of four years; very successful, fun and interesting.

Goth, HCB and another whose name started with a "Y" (Yarrow, or something like that?) successfully designed and built an electronic kit that enabled you to read your CPU speed as RPM on an aftermarket automotive tachometer.

On 1/19/2019 at 10:23 PM, eveln said:

QLD I thought. A notoriously dangerous intersection I believe. 

2 hours ago, SceptreCore said:
On 20/01/2019 at 12:23 AM, eveln said:

QLD I thought. A notoriously dangerous intersection I believe. 

Yes, I think you might be right there. I recall his mum and friends talking about it in the thread 😞

On 1/22/2019 at 10:37 AM, GTAV6 said:

DarkLord / OracleX

• Like 4

On 22/01/2019 at 10:31 AM, Kimmo said:

Pretty sure the post right above mine wasn't referring to deceased members. 

@-ing them would be pretty futile if they're dead...

Everyone else was, tho'.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, The Fuzz damn you! said:

DarkLord / OracleX

Bingo! Thanks Fuzz.

Oh, and fantastic to see you're still around, too.

Herro The Fuzz

Edited by Waltish
fk'ing autofill

First logged on about 18 years ago, different time back then. The internet was still a baby that we all enjoyed but as its grown its turned into not such a great entity in my eyes.

I have recently learnt to put my phone down and only pick it up when it rings or if I need to ring.  Sitting on the couch reading stalkbook stuff is something I once enjoyed but now find it more annoying than fun. Still haven't made the move to delete the account as it is a good way to keep a track on my kids ( another story) .

These forums have and will always be important to me for many reasons.  I modded here for a long time, seen lots come and go, I've upset people that I really regret and have had more than one hissy fit. Not proud of those but dealing with lots of issues at the time made me do and say things that I will always regret and it probably cost me a few friends here. I cant change that but time moves on as we all do and I still find myself dropping in here every few days just to see whos around and what's happening with the forums.

• Like 7

7 hours ago, hulkster said:

and it probably cost me a few friends here.

friends get shit off now and then but the good ones tend to hang around a bit longer

Still Lubs you Hulkster.  

It's like Love, but in a manly way.  The balls don't touch.  or something.  I dunno.  Maybe they do.  And that's the charm.  SWING LOW!  SWEET CHARIOT!

Lubs you.

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
On 1/19/2019 at 4:25 PM, Nich... said:

Who else?

SIOD

He had quite a history with Atomic actually, including some SQL injection.
https://www.youtube.com/user/wolfgangsiod

Then, IIRC, he posted this before his suicide.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A5VjEhmqDI

Dude clearly struggled with some shit. and I know he rubbed a few people the wrong way.
I guess it just always stuck in my head, as a self destructive suicide, rather than an accident.

This is probably a good time to mention that some people here really saved my ass too.
I'm gettin old now 😛 but when I joined I had literally just started highschool.

I got called into the IT office, for using more data than the update server did, on a single webpage..... this one.
They blocked the .com.au not knowing we had a .com..... silly.
Anyway;
as you can imagine, overweight IT nerd (overweight slightly fixed, IT nerd slightly increased nowadays :P) heading into highschool, the old 'unpopular' stereotype played out.

Without rabbiting on;
even though there were literally tens upon tens of nights that people on here had me falling asleep in tears (I was an ignorant teen, I had it coming :P);
The more important aspect was that people were there.
You all listened, you all supported, attacked or critiqued without prejudice; based on idea alone (usually :P)
Even someone hating your ideas or thoughts, not attacking you, is extremely valuable (for a teen) when compared to being ignored, feeling unimportant, and spiraling down that common black hole of self loathing.

While I like to be an individual, this community is part of my identity.
I still vinyl cut Atomic logos for all my things (cars, laptops, office door at work), it's really the only tattoo I've ever considered also....
This place gave me friends, family, and knowledge far beyond anything I could have achieved alone.
I wish there was a stronger word than family, but, it'll do 🙂

Edited by Master_Scythe
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

[ yes I know, I'm a newbie ]

imo ... This place wouldn't be quite atomic without you here Master_Scythe...you've been here all through my time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1