Sign in to follow this  
g__day

Big rig occassionally simply freezes playing stored MP4 files using Films and TV player Win 10

HI folk,

Interesting development I have noticed lately.  If I flip through and watch a dozen or so stored video files - at some point my PC just hangs and becomes unresponsive beyond the mouse still moving.  I have so far only noticed it in full screen video mode.  Symptoms are the image will freeze whilst the sound will play on for a few more seconds then it's simply totally unresponsive and I have to power cycle it - so no dump log. Windows is fully up to date and so are all the Gigabyte drivers and Geforce (1080 Ti) drivers.

Anyone got any ideas about why this may be occurring all of a sudden - stability has been rock solid for over six months now - so its a surprise to see things get a bit wobbly.  In all other workloads, especially playing full screen games or watching full screen videos online the beast seems rock solid.  But queue up a dozen or so .mp4 players and watch them thru WIndows 10 default Films and TV player and things have a maybe 1/3 chance of just dying somewhere randomly.

Best regards,

Matthew

No dump logs, but is there anything in event viewer?

I've had occasional issues with h.265 encoded video when in full-screen, but nothing requiring a full power cycle to recover from.  Do you know what's inside those mp4 files?

• Like 1

Correct not dump files.  The Event viewer isn't very helpful.  It shows in the last week five critical restarts - due to loss of power for the Kernel - but that is me having to press the power button.  Other than that merely corruption of the SRU log is the only other warning - possible because of how I power cycled the device.

Maybe try another video player like MPC-HC or VLC.

I find occasionally a video will cause MPC-HC to ignore close commands or linger for several seconds.  I suspect it and your problem might be related to hardware acceleration though this is my desktop which is Win 7.

Also, an old card of mine (HD4870) has/had stability issues in that it'd sometimes hang while playing video or windowed 2D accelerated games but never had a problem with 3D games.  So you can't totally rule out the videocard.

I haven't seen any other crash in other video display programs, nor will WIndows defacto one appear to crash unless it is full screen and one or two dozen videos play.  Ponder if its a memory leak or something worse to have this annoying behaviour.   Ponder why it is only seeming to be happening to me - and only recently...

Other than that - Happy New Year guys!

• Like 1

Maybe a corrupt video codec which isn't used by anything else?

Could you run a live Linux usb and try running the videos full screen from there? Try and rule out hardware issues. 

Given it only occurs in one player - and only in full screen mode - I think that points to a corrupted driver codec - wonder how to detect / refresh them - not even sure which ones I use.  Is there an easy way to tell what this player is using?

In Windows Media Player, right-click the bar at the top, click Help > About Windows Media Player. then click "Technical Support Information". Near the bottom of the page there will be a list of Audi/Video Codecs currently installed, and MPEG filters, where available.

• Like 1

Thanks Jeruselem,  when I try this I see no Help - but instead a Help with Playback - which if you selected it launches a browser that gives general information (link provided below).  The Technical Support information doesn't offer much - so wondering if between my delayed seeing your suggestion and you offering it did the player change?

https://www.bing.com/search?q=get+help+with+windows+media+player+in+windows+10&filters=guid:"4462432-en-dia" lang:"en"&form=T00032&ocid=HelpPane-BingIA