chrisg

Some great reads

Will have a look.

I guess I've read GE&B about four times and find something new each time, a few years and I'll read it again, my copy is rather worn ?

It's somewhat like Finnegan's Wake which one of my brothers has been reading for years and yet to finish it but not complaining.

Cheers

I was listening to radio national and heard an interview with Tim Winton about his book "The Shepherd's Hut", so it reminded me to mention here that I read that last year. I had read "Eyrie" before it, and the two books have absolutely nothing in common except for being set in WA. Both were very good, but Eyrie is probably the more interesting of the two. 

he's so celebrated i tried really tried to get into Cloud Street Cloudstreet.  just couldnt do it.

as for paper books / tablets, how do people get comfortable? 

these days it seems no matter where i sit, recline, or lie i am not happy for long.  its like a restless night in bed where any position feels okay for a few minutes before it starts pissing you off.

Edited by @~thehung
  • Like 1

Just now, @~thehung said:

he's so celebrated i tried really tried to get into Cloud Street.  just couldnt do it.

these days it seems no matter where i sit, recline, or lie i am not happy for long.  its like a restless night in bed where any position feels okay for a few minutes before it starts pissing you off.

That's a bummer. I mostly read in bed. Two latex pillows under the head, and my book holding arm and book resting on another.

However, I can read in most places.

2 hours ago, @~thehung said:

IKR? The phone is where it's at. I tweak mine so a capital letter is about 2mm high, margins are minimal and only the volume buttons change the page.

It's totally the way to go. You don't need a light on in bed, and there's a fair bit of daylight between being too tired to hold a book properly and being too tired to hold a phone. Then there's the fact your phone is pretty much always on you, so you can read your book while taking a dump at work and so on; you can get through a book heaps faster. 

Phones are ok but kindle paperwhite is best ? light and larger screen plus you can't beat e ink. 

?

Given how many linear metres of books I have in boxes ready to ship to S.A I very much agree SN.

However the Kindle has sure come into its own for bed reading of lighter stuff.

Cheers

7 hours ago, SacrificialNewt said:

I still prefer a proper book.  I definitely don't like reading ebooks.

I used to agree with you but I started using the kindle just for travel and then when I had it syncing to the phone so I could continue a book when I had to wait for something I pretty much just forsook printed editions. 

I switch between genres like a squirrel on speed.  Currently reading "Genesis of the Grail Kings" by Laurence Gardner (having just finished "Lost Secrets of the Sacred Ark" by same author) - but will happy curl up with Nora Roberts, Dan Brown, Jean M Auel, Wilbur Smith or Jean Plaidy (aka Eleanor Hibbert).  My book shelf is very eclectic.

• Like 1

I love the Kindle app on my iPad. I have a huge library there and it takes up no storage. 

Much like Devere, my reading is like a rabbit on speed.  I've just finished The Lost City of Z and am currently reading a book about Jack the Ripper. 

• Like 1

So, I finished Weaveworld today at the expense of everything else. My eldest had bought it from me on Advice from the book store salesman when she told them my favourite books were The Dark Tower Series. Yes, it has some definite similarities whilst being quite different at the same time. It was worth reading, but I wouldn't rate it as better than The Dark Tower. 

I chose this book ..." The Reasons I won't be coming "  by Elliot Perlman, because the title resonated . It's a collection of short stories. I'm more inclined to want a big book that I can get all caught up in, but this guy's writing is doing that for me anyway.
He's only written a few books so far. I'm not finished with this book yet. I will miss it when it's finished.

• Like 1

Well,

Apart from "A Gentleman in Moscow" which I am deliberately savoring, it's so good, I've cleaned up my Christmas pile so decided to re-read a book I knew would need to be returned to.

"Seven Eaves, Neil Stephenson."

He's always a great but not especially easy read but this one tops his efforts to date - sheer brilliance and I was right, needed to be read again.

Cheers

On 29/01/2019 at 9:33 PM, SacrificialNewt said:

So, I finished Weaveworld today ...

If you like Barker, you might like to give The Great & Secret Show a shot.  Younger me loved it.  Kinda went off him sometime between then and now.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 11:59 PM, Cybes said:

give The Great & Secret Show a shot.  Younger me loved it

A relative gave me that when I was a kid. Like, eight? 

All I remember about it is the scene in a Mexican bar with the bestial sex show...