eveln

It's 2019 somewhere already !

So get ready to rock and roll  / role this coming year ya all !

Seriously now hoping all atomicans ( @SceptreCore included  of course :P~ ) can look to the new year with a little more good feeling etc. etc.etc.

Peace dudes 🤩 💚 <<< that a special atomic heart there !

Thank you, Eve - Happy New Year to you and yours as well. 🙂

Watching the Sydney event 30 mins out of phase on YT, and it strike me that, boy howdy am I a total fucking curmudgeon.  The music is cool, and the event is festive, and of these I approve; but they've just blown up $6 million bucks and got less than 30 mins of show, and a fuckton of air pollution, potential incidental fires, and about a week's cleanup out of it.  Even without the whole "bread & circuses" angle, this just does not strike me as equitable return on investment.

'Course, people do love their 'splosions - and metaphorical gladiatoral combat. 😛

• Like 2

🙂

Nor I TMFP, goodbye and good riddance to that year...

Have a great 2019 Atomicans!!

Cheers

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

I rather enjoyed 2018 on a personal level. 

Yep. I did as well. And it was pretty good on a professional one too.    Onward and upwards!  

• Like 3

Well we're all here to give our thoughts on 2018, that's a plus for all of us.

And there's a Girvo who has survived the year too :)

/never really took to Drambui @Outcast_Aussie , hope you ( and yours ) be enjoying it and your chilly NY over there too

• Like 2

🙂

2018 managed to give me a marriage separation that is sorting itself out, family interference that still has me angry, not my family I hasten to add.

Had 11 months living in the worst rental it has ever been my displeasure to occupy, now rid of.

Spent time in hospital with pneumonia, lost a sister to cancer, had a mother seven times in hospital in S.A. necessitating several trips here and now a permanent one.

That hopefully will be the one plus but overall it was a shit of a year for me.

Cheers

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Cybes said:

Thank you, Eve - Happy New Year to you and yours as well. 🙂

Watching the Sydney event 30 mins out of phase on YT, and it strike me that, boy howdy am I a total fucking curmudgeon.  The music is cool, and the event is festive, and of these I approve; but they've just blown up $6 million bucks and got less than 30 mins of show, and a fuckton of air pollution, potential incidental fires, and about a week's cleanup out of it.  Even without the whole "bread & circuses" angle, this just does not strike me as equitable return on investment.

'Course, people do love their 'splosions - and metaphorical gladiatoral combat. 😛

no no

apparently it generates $130 million in increased turnover that they attribute directly to the event

what annoys me is how fucking generic the whole display has become at midnight

if i was give some input, there would be dynamic painting of the sky with pyrotechnics, not the usual bullshit 6x exactly the same thing simultaneously along the stretch of the harbour like cut n paste

so with the right work, they could use the length of the harbour to do a huge arch with pylons to represent the bridge, and likewise the opera house, to really sell the idea of sydney being where it's at

that said, we power walked 9 minutes to the foreshore at manly / fairlight, and had the local 9pm 15 minutes go off almost overhead and without anyone between us and the show.. the walk started in light rain, and it cleared for the fireworks and the walk home

i really like fireworks, but the opportunity for the "main event" in town at midnight goes for volume over creativity - i'd love to see a bunch of well lit co-ordinated drones do a piece either as intro, or for a breather in the middle - if they had lasers and were launched into the smoke after a major flurry, they would look unbelievably good as an original addition to the other stuff

Edited by scruffy1
  • Like 1

Lots of places in Aus. had their work cut out trying to have fireworks last night and some had to give it away totally.

I don't like the whole polution factor of it much, but I do like the vibe you get when you can really enjoy the show ... bit hard to see the enjoyment factor these days but hat might be an age thing more than anything else.

It's a lot of money, but compare that to * a pollie spending over half a million so he can enjoy his office space  ... six million for the benefit of thousands to enjoy ( even temporarily ) doesn't seem quite so bad. Especially as the whole showfest generates revenue for

loads of other businesses as well.

* - sorry about that . not the thing to bring pollie tics into this

5 minutes ago, eveln said:

Lots of places in Aus. had their work cut out trying to have fireworks last night and some had to give it away totally.

I don't like the whole polution factor of it much, but I do like the vibe you get when you can really enjoy the show ... bit hard to see the enjoyment factor these days but hat might be an age thing more than anything else.

It's a lot of money, but compare that to * a pollie spending over half a million so he can enjoy his office space  ... six million for the benefit of thousands to enjoy ( even temporarily ) doesn't seem quite so bad. Especially as the whole showfest generates revenue for

loads of other businesses as well.

* - sorry about that . not the thing to bring pollie tics into this

While it's still kinda political, the other thing is that the world tends to watch the Sydney spectacular as the "start" of the NYE celebrations. Being +10 GMT means we tend to have the first of the large hoohas (I know we aren't technically the first place to celebrate, just the best of the first :P). And the coverage is always massive all over the world. It's a chance to show off the beauty of Sydney using the icons the world knows us by. That had to also mean plenty of indirect revenue too. 🙂

1 minute ago, Chaos.Lady said:

While it's still kinda political, the other thing is that the world tends to watch the Sydney spectacular as the "start" of the NYE celebrations. Being +10 GMT means we tend to have the first of the large hoohas (I know we aren't technically the first place to celebrate, just the best :P). And the coverage is always massive all over the world. It's a chance to show off the beauty of Sydney using the icons the world knows us by. That had to also mean plenty of indirect revenue too. 🙂

Yes. I was just focusing on those that head in to the various areas to see it all in the flesh, rather than the possible spin off from the marketing aspect of it. Back in the day I would be one of the throng gathering at out of the city venues that also had the party / fireworks thing going,
like Wye River and Phillip Island ( Cowes ) ... the vibe then was pretty fantastic as I recall .

Last night would've been very tough going I'd imagine. I've not viewed any of it yet. ... will have to visit some youtube I expect.

23 minutes ago, eveln said:

Yes. I was just focusing on those that head in to the various areas to see it all in the flesh, rather than the possible spin off from the marketing aspect of it. Back in the day I would be one of the throng gathering at out of the city venues that also had the party / fireworks thing going,
like Wye River and Phillip Island ( Cowes ) ... the vibe then was pretty fantastic as I recall .

Last night would've been very tough going I'd imagine. I've not viewed any of it yet. ... will have to visit some youtube I expect.

ABC iView still has it available to stream I think. 🙂. It's worth a look. Ben Folds playing with Tim Minchin was awesome. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

apparently it generates $130 million in increased turnover that they attribute directly to the event

Mm.  I wonder if they're taking into account the externalities, but that's a fair point.  Also:

52 minutes ago, Chaos.Lady said:

the world tends to watch the Sydney spectacular as the "start" of the NYE celebrations. Being +10 GMT means we tend to have the first of the large hoohas (I know we aren't technically the first place to celebrate, just the best of the first :P). And the coverage is always massive all over the world. It's a chance to show off the beauty of Sydney using the icons the world knows us by. That had to also mean plenty of indirect revenue too.

What about all the other displays around Aus?  Nobody is streaming the Darwin show around the world, and the same point applies to all of those as well.  Or Detroit in the US: nobody but people living there even know it's on - same point.

40 minutes ago, Cybes said:

Mm.  I wonder if they're taking into account the externalities, but that's a fair point.  Also:

What about all the other displays around Aus?  Nobody is streaming the Darwin show around the world, and the same point applies to all of those as well.  Or Detroit in the US: nobody but people living there even know it's on - same point.

True. They only tend to show the Sydney celebration. However the tourist benefit would apply to Darwin as well as indirect benefit. 

I'm a little confused about your point here. You didn't like us spending millions on a pretty 30 min show. Darwin probably had a celebration, but I would seriously doubt they spent the same kind of fundage that Sydney did.  Same with Detroit. Prolly a nice show for the locals, but not the millions they spent in New York. Every country likes to have a showcase. Paris is another etc etc. You don't need more that one showcase to bring in the tourist dollars. 

🙂

It's just something that has become a tradition and is very popular globally.

Many years ago now I took my kids to the Adelaide show on the banks of the Torrens.

Somewhat to my surprise a spent rocket landed about a metre from one of my daughters - she was a bit surprised but as only a kid can yelled across the river MISSED ME!!! " 🙂

Had the people around us laughing 🙂

Cheers

1 hour ago, Chaos.Lady said:

ABC iView still has it available to stream I think. 🙂.

I was just having a look thru there at something else and saw they've got quite  selection. Minchin's thing will be getting a viewing 🙂 ... but I did see UAE 's impressive works on the tube a bit ago also. wow.

personally i never believe the government when it mentions an economic benefit

most people would have used public transport to get to the city, bought their own food and drinks, watched the show and then went home

Posted (edited)

Just been wizzing thru the iView showing. I must say Casey Donavon is bloody awesome when warmed up. Her Aretha covers were goooood. Not so inspired by Christine Anu. I felt like she was trying to overcome constipation, she was hard to watch.

Re the public transport : thunderstorm activity played havoc with the railways apparently ...

...and not the youngies so much TMFP they would not have been organised enough to bring their own food etc. me thinks

Edited by eveln

2 hours ago, Chaos.Lady said:

I'm a little confused about your point here. You didn't like us spending millions on a pretty 30 min show. Darwin probably had a celebration, but I would seriously doubt they spent the same kind of fundage that Sydney did.  Same with Detroit. Prolly a nice show for the locals, but not the millions they spent in New York. Every country likes to have a showcase. Paris is another etc etc. You don't need more that one showcase to bring in the tourist dollars. 

As I said initially: "I'm a curmudgeon". 😜

Look, I really do understand that people want a party, and I think it's fine to have one.  It just bugs me that .gov can find $millions for a quick show when the same .gov 'has' to defund hospitals, homeless shelters, etc etc.  And they'll probably fund that show by cutting something else.