Sign in to follow this  
Kimmo

Wrapped up like a douche

This is an example of a mondegreen. That's a cute Wiki page I discovered checking the lyrics to Blinded By the Light...

BTW, never realised Springsteen wrote it.

Springsteen himself has joked about the phenomenon, claiming that it was not until Manfred Mann rewrote the song to be about a "feminine hygiene product" that the song became popular.

• Like 1

I didn't realise that The Boss wrote it either... but then there's this enormous clue in the 3rd line of the lyrics...

"Another runner in the night"

?

I was other way around - knew the Mann version, had the Boss original - surprised some friends when I played it to them  ?

Cheers

Saw a couple of blokes do a piss-funny standup routine around it years ago... 

Cheese and Rice!  I mean Jesus Christ!  

My favourite Mondegreen has always been in Hallelujah.  "I remember when I moved in you, and the holy DUCK was moving too!"

AD

oh my god, you know AccessDenied will always sing about that holy bloody duck. I'M NOT HAVING ANY DUCKS IN ME!

ive long suspected that the "You can grow your own weed, grow your own weed" song from the Subaru ads might be a mondegreen

Edited by @~thehung

I have probably half a dozen or more of these of which none are coming to mind ATM.

One recently "solved" was the yelled out line during the song "Love Shack" by The B52s.

For years I thought it was "HENRY!!! - rusted" but it's "Tin Roof".  The origin of that supposedly being a shack in the US where they stayed and wrote the lyrics for Rock Lobster.

Edited by Rybags
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rybags said:

Rock Lobster

That song had such a unique sound it inspired a whole band. 

• Like 1

... Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey - brilliant song which I remember thinking "hardcore" when I was about 4 years old because "we haven't done a bloody thing all day!"

" Admiral Halsey notified me
He had to have a berth or he couldn't get to sea
I had another look and I had a cup of tea
And a puppa pie
(A puppa pie?)
The butter wouldn't melt, so I put it in a pie "

For years I wondered WTH then looked it up but it's a "butter pie"

"I

Wanna rock & roll all night

And part of every day!"

<record scratch, all eyes turn to singer>

• Like 1

not quite a mondegreen, but forever i thought the intro to world famous was "an' bring it on, an' you know i gotta have that..."

but only in the last year i finally grokked that the an' is the name anne, and they are encouraging anne dudley to play the piano riff that makes that song magic

?

All singer elocution I suppose - the Boss is only semi-intelligible when talking...

Cheers

6 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

not quite a mondegreen, but forever i thought the intro to world famous was "an' bring it on, an' you know i gotta have that..."

gah!  that took way too much googling.  "World's Famous"

speaking of misheard names...

growing up, i was always a bit confused how they could play something as rude on the radio as: "Take a load of fanny, take a load for free"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well blimey, I now know it's "deuce"and not "douche", it refers to the deuce coupe and what a suicide door is.

Before my time but I think it might have been nice to be able to buy a car worth a few dollars in high school, and spend your Summer doing it up.  No one seems to do that any more.

Edited by Kothos

People still do it but often it's more like middle-age to start out.

IMO it's barely worth restoring many at all "affordable" cars made after the mid 80s, and anything earlier costs a fair bit to aquire and a whole bunch more to get the parts for.

Yeah I fully agree.  It's cheaper to buy a second-hand car that's been reasonably serviced than it is to do up anything these days.

Hmm,

Cars have changed so much.

My Pug 307 is now 18 years old, done about 180,000kms, still like a new car apart from a door seal that needs replacing and in hot weather the left indicator does not flash on the display but the indicators still work. Sticky switch somewhere will fix it when it is cooler. The seal is a bit of a pain but again I know a way to fix it without replacing the whole thing once the weather is cooler.

There was simply no point in replacing it so shipped it over from W.A.

Cheers

3 hours ago, chrisg said:

Hmm,

Cars have changed so much.

My Pug 307 is now 18 years old, done about 180,000kms, still like a new car apart from a door seal that needs replacing and in hot weather the left indicator does not flash on the display but the indicators still work. Sticky switch somewhere will fix it when it is cooler. The seal is a bit of a pain but again I know a way to fix it without replacing the whole thing once the weather is cooler.

There was simply no point in replacing it so shipped it over from W.A.

Cheers

I sold our 2006 Honda civic a couple of years ago. 240,000kms and still drove like a new one. Wouldn't have bothered except we needed something with more room in the back. People complain about build quality going down but I don't see it so much really. 

Does this count as a mondegreen?

Apparently one hypothesis on the origin of the H in the exclamation, "Jesus H. Christ" is a mishearing of Jesus's middle name by school children reciting the Lord's prayer.

"Our Father, who art in heaven, Harold be thy name... "

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kothos said:

Does this count as a mondegreen?

I'm pretty sure that would have its own word... 

Almost a malapropism.