Sign in to follow this  
Kimmo

What a joke

26 minutes ago, Leonid said:

That sounds like you're applying your own values and not respecting my identification, like that 250kg "woman" who you wouldn't sleep with because "she" probably has plumbing bigger than yours and you don't swing that way 🙂

Do I need to share your values to treat you in a way you would find respectful? I don't have to be part of Japanese culture or understand or even think it makes sense before I can bow in and take a karate class. I can take from that interaction as much as I want and leave what I want as long as I do what is required of me to be part of that group. 

BTW I think you're mostly asking some good questions. 

Personally I’ve seen far more people going ‘she? you mean HE lololol’ like they’re some kind of edgy comic genius than people going ‘I demand everyone and everything accept my new identity and if you don’t I’ll have you arrested’.

I mean sure, pointedly refuse to respect someone’s choices, that shouldn’t be illegal- but don’t cry foul when people start perceiving you as a bit of an asshole as a result.

Edited by aquilus
  • Like 2

On 2/16/2019 at 8:23 AM, Kimmo said:

You know, there's a whole other thread that's meant to be all about AOC... only now, it's about refugees and the middle east and fighter planes or some shit. 

This thread is supposed to be about the epic clusterfuck that is the TRE45ON 'administration'. But hey, whatevs

actually, i'm a little confused as to what Trump or AOC or any of that other shit are doing in the gender dysphoria thread.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fliptopia said:

So how about this state of emergency huh

Stress not it's covered, it was an unmitigated problem, but now it's being seen to.

13 minutes ago, Waltish said:

Stress not it's covered, it was an unmitigated problem, but now it's being seen to.

Just trying to get the thread back on track 😉

6 hours ago, fliptopia said:

I don't have to be part of Japanese culture or understand or even think it makes sense before I can bow in and take a karate class.

And if you went to a karate class and were told it was Karate while folding paper in the  Japanese art of Origami... would you just accept this as Karate, or basically as fraud?

2 hours ago, fliptopia said:

So how about this state of emergency huh

I predicted exactly how it was going to happen. He played the Dems.

Gave them 3 weeks to give him the wall, and when they didn't - state of emergency 🙂

1 hour ago, Leonid said:

And if you went to a karate class and were told it was Karate while folding paper in the  Japanese art of Origami... would you just accept this as Karate, or basically as fraud? 

Given this there is no precedent for me to expect this I would be asking isn't this meant to be karate. If I knew some karate places felt they were places of Origami folding I would find it strange but less taken aback. But I think the metaphor is falling apart at this stage. I don't really see these situations as equivalent. 

Do you see people as providing a gender "service" when you talk to them? 

5 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

Do you see people as providing a gender "service" when you talk to them? 

I expect a "truth service" when I talk to people.

If someone comes up to me and says they're African American but they're whiter than me, I reckon they're full of shit. When some bloke I meet says he's a woman... I reckon he's full of shit.

Is someone lying when they say what they believe to be true and can't understand it to be any other way? 

2 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

Is someone lying when they say what they believe to be true and can't understand it to be any other way? 

Their delusion isn't my delusion.

Flip the question. Anti-vaxxer comes up to you. Are they lying when they say what they believe to be true and can't understand it to be any other way?

9 minutes ago, Leonid said:

Flip the question. Anti-vaxxer comes up to you. Are they lying when they say what they believe to be true and can't understand it to be any other way?

They aren't lying. They are mistaken. Unfortunately it's a dangerous mistake. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

They aren't lying. They are mistaken. 

Ditto

Turns out 45% of Republicans support AOC's 70% tax rate... general populace, 59% 😙

3 hours ago, Leonid said:

Ditto

I think this is the point where we will just talk in circles about this. 

🙂

Mate of mine often jokes he has a black belt in Origami, be careful or he'll fold you into a zebra  🙂

He's actually a brown belt in karate.

Cheers

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 6:17 PM, Leonid said:

So just so you understand how ridiculous this is - you can walk up to a Christian and tell them that they’re a freaking fruit loop for believing in fairy tales, but you walk up to one of these walking cases of fraudulent advertising and explain to them that they are in fact just as much of a fruit loop for believing in fairy tales - and that’s a hate crime.

Don't get me started on this. 
Because I am the walrus - goo goo g'joob - and I will complain to the human rights commission if anyone does not recognise my sea mammal status.

On 2/16/2019 at 10:39 AM, Nich... said:

Anyway, I ended up watching part of that ABC show last night, Planet America

Just watched it, and wow, that's some serious ineptitude and even some dishonesty around the GND, which itself is hard to take seriously.

Pretty disappointing stuff, considering these folks pretty much carry the hopes of civilisation at this point (and if you disagree, I'd like to know who you think is gonna do something about this mess).

1 hour ago, twinair said:

Don't get me started on this. 
Because I am the walrus - goo goo g'joob - and I will complain to the human rights commission if anyone does not recognise my sea mammal status.

As a two-spirit trans-mermaid, I feel and accept your pain. This heteronormative world is so very cruel to us sea-kind.

• Like 1

I'll get back to that Snopes when I have time, Leo,but you're bring pretty gross.

What's False

Accidentally referring to a transgender person with the wrong pronoun in NYC will result in a $250,000 fine.

Hmmmm 🤔 my reading the the entire page you linked is it's a law against being a cunt, repeatedly and deliberately, to a marginalised group. It's a big stand. So how is it being abused as a law?

Say, Leo, how do you think anti-discrimination laws should work for trans folk?

Given some attitudes move slowly in society, what should lawmakers do to stop some guy who likes to wear a cute skirt getting bullied by inertia? Violence is oury but is that just physical or psychological, too?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kimmo said:

Just watched it, and wow, that's some serious ineptitude and even some dishonesty around the GND, which itself is hard to take seriously.

Pretty disappointing stuff, considering these folks pretty much carry the hopes of civilisation at this point (and if you disagree, I'd like to know who you think is gonna do something about this mess).

Not sure which side or group you're referencing in the first part, but ultimately I'm not here to pick winners. I'm here to try and make people do better at building their arguments, and maybe that'll make enough difference.

And seeing as I'm on team green nuclear power, I'm rejected by most parties when it comes to the environment, anyway.

I was under the impression that a number of the European nuclear sites were being shut down / turned off / closed for business, or whatever it is they do when they decided nuclear was no longer the go to answer  ...
Should we in Aus. still even contemplate taking a route that has been tried and found wanting ? I don't think any of the Euro nuclear sites were called " green " but they still be nuclear

/ the term "green nuclear" just makes me think of slushies 🤢