Sign in to follow this  
Kimmo

What a joke

9 minutes ago, eveln said:

Should we in Aus. still even contemplate taking a route that has been tried and found wanting ?

I believe he's referring to LFTR and pebble beds, and the like.  The Europeans have all old tech stuff that fails dangerous rather than safe.  These 'new' designs are untried at large scales and times.  (LFTR had a university trial plant for a while, but I can't recall the details.) 

7 hours ago, Nich... said:

And seeing as I'm on team green nuclear power, I'm rejected by most parties when it comes to the environment, anyway.

Actually, it was Goth who convinced me that could be a thing... But there's no convincing me to trust either the public sector or definitely the private sector to do it right. Which is okay, because we don't need nukes, except for medical isotopes and whatever. 

6 hours ago, Cybes said:

I believe he's referring to LFTR and pebble beds, and the like.  The Europeans have all old tech stuff that fails dangerous rather than safe.  These 'new' designs are untried at large scales and times.  (LFTR had a university trial plant for a while, but I can't recall the details.) 

Ahh okay. Can't get lost in google-fu right now, duty calls ... but I shall do later.

The discussion is about Thorium based reactors.

We've been around and around that subject but trials are being undertaken and looking pretty good. The Norwegian trial is ongoing with a ways to go:

http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/Articles/Third-round-of-thorium-test-irradiation-starts

China and India are both looking hard at Thorium cycle reactors.

Personally I think Thorium has merit and is worthy of continued exploration but it is a few years and a deal of money away from going into production.

The inherent safety of the concept is the big selling point but there are other benefits particularly the availability of the mineral.

Cheers

38 minutes ago, chrisg said:

That be what the "T" in "LFTR" stands for. 😉

4 minutes ago, Cybes said:

🙂

Yes, Cybes, as opposed to pebble bed designs.

Thorium seems better thought out and more advanced in development but pebble bed is not far behind:

https://www.energy.gov/ne/articles/x-energy-developing-pebble-bed-reactor-they-say-cant-melt-down

I tend to prefer Thorium, the scarcity of helium and the use of gas cooling with potential leaks and some designs not using containment ring alarm bells over pebble bed but there are merits to both if safety is proven - seems more inherent in Thorium. The pebble bed advocates claims that it "can't melt down" just make me wonder when a 1 in 10M chance and all the holes in the cheese line up means one will, just as Fukushima was deemed to be so, so safe.

I still wish fusion power's dream would grow some real legs.

Cheers

46 minutes ago, Cybes said:

Ohh right. Duhh, I knew that 😉 So yeah, it is greener, but I'd still sorta  prefer not to use the term "green" next to nuclear . I don't believe we be ready for that just yet.

/ and my comment is brought to you by a self confessed noob. 

Edited by eveln
Clarity

11 hours ago, Nich... said:

Say, Leo, how do you think anti-discrimination laws should work for trans folk?

Same way they work for everyone else.

Repeatedly referring to a male as a male against any strenuous objections the male may have is not a hate crime nor meritorious of a fine.

32 minutes ago, chrisg said:

I still wish fusion power's dream would grow some real legs.

Cheer up!  It's only a decade away!

/dies laughing

• Like 2

🙂

How true is that ?

It was all the rage somewhere back in the 70s, Omni mag often held out the "near term" belief it was coming - still is - longest orgasm in history  🙂

Cheers

24 minutes ago, chrisg said:

How true is that ?

I knew you'd get it, hence the comment.  It's been "about a decade away" for almost 50 years.

Although, to be fair, it *has* been on basically life-support funding for most of that time - fusion produces no warhead material, so breeders got the lion's share.  Now that people that matter are starting to realise they need clean(er), cheap, plentiful power that doesn't make billionaires in dangerous places, the taps have been opened right up and real progress is being made.  Real progress, but nobody's quite sure how far there is to go, so sometimes even the researchers feel like they're running on a treadmill.

Yeah,

I stopped holding my breath a long time ago but it has always seemed the long-term way to go.

After all we know how to produce a fusion explosion, H bomb, have for over 70 years, but we haven't cracked how to initiate positive energy yield from fusion without a fission initiator.

Well, they keep trying, some hopes with high energy laser initiatives apparently.

Cheers

21 hours ago, Leonid said:

As a two-spirit trans-mermaid, I feel and accept your pain. This heteronormative world is so very cruel to us sea-kind.

Why ever the fuck my brain is thinking in the way it does,  I can assure you it's not a tuna.

If we're going to be mucking around with stuff that's on the very edge of possibility, we should be concentrating on skyhooks. 

Or maybe trying to save what's left of life on this planet... 

We have the free energy lunch. Renewables are now cheaper than anything else.

10 hours ago, Cybes said:

I knew you'd get it, hence the comment.  It's been "about a decade away" for almost 50 years.

Although, to be fair, it *has* been on basically life-support funding for most of that time - fusion produces no warhead material, so breeders got the lion's share.  Now that people that matter are starting to realise they need clean(er), cheap, plentiful power that doesn't make billionaires in dangerous places, the taps have been opened right up and real progress is being made.  Real progress, but nobody's quite sure how far there is to go, so sometimes even the researchers feel like they're running on a treadmill.

Right up there with flying cars, commercial flights to the Moon and the release of Star Citizen 😉

5 hours ago, aquilus said:

Right up there with ... the release of Star Citizen 😉

3 hours ago, Waltish said:

Shame about Star Citizen  🙁

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/2-Squadron-42

ie: Sq42 in beta Q2 of 2020.  SC is the MMO of Sq42, and will follow it 1 year later, which you can see for yourself on a link of the linked page.

Yes, CIG have a history of slipping deadlines, so you can't take ^that as gospel.  However, SC has made incredible and obvious progress in the past 12 months, and that figure actually does seem plausible.

11 hours ago, aquilus said:

Right up there with flying cars, commercial flights to the Moon and the release of Star Citizen 😉

🙂

Flying cars have been around in prototype for decades but nobody ever gets it real, nor does support infrastructure. I really doubt the need or the wisdom, ground based transport in many places is so good as in mass transit that city use would be minimal. San Francisco, Singapore, Hong Kong, the more venerable London and New York underground systems, Paris as well, make those cities very easy to get around. Mind you a ride on the New York subway can be quite an adventure but the only city where people fly in preference to on the ground that I know of is Rio. Only for the rich, using helicopters to avoid being ransom-bait.

Commercial flights to the moon are probably a long way off, nothing much to see until moon colonies get established but orbital transport both to space and sub orbital point-to-point is coming at a steady if faltering rate.

Star Citizen... well... 🙂

Life on earth is not exactly decreasing Kimmo, the human population continues to grow and is elbowing out other species at a frightening rate. We are the first species to at least make an effort not to do that, the dinosaurs never cared 🙂

Sometimes I wonder what green energy really is.

Solar is expanding rapidly but it ignores the implicit pollution  of mining selenium, although the stuff is actually good for you if ingested.

It will probably remain niche.

Wind can't really support base loads and wind farms are big noise polluters.

Niche again.

Dams silt up and fail catastrophically.

They are all better than burning coal or oil or gas, although the last is not bad, just finite.

Nuclear still involves mining but in use is very clean until you have to get rid of the waste. If it fails of course the outcomes are catastrophic.

That's why I think Thorium is a reasonable bet, if it is done correctly. It is a fail-safe reactor that uses a readily available mineral, still has to be mined, and the reactors could also burn legacy nuclear waste. There would still be waste but it can keep being cycled back into the reactors for a time.

Not a final solution. The dream of fusion or the still fictional zero-point energy would be big steps in that direction but within potential reality a combination of beanstalks and orbital solar farms feeding energy down to earth via super-conductors ( an important part in reducing transport loss of power everywhere) with the mining done off earth. That would be a massive step in the right direction until we can get off this mud-ball and go pollute uninhabited worlds elsewhere 🙂

It's probably far too visionary and require way too much money but funding should not be an impediment to sensible advancement.

Cheers

6 minutes ago, chrisg said:

the still fictional zero-point energy

'Fraid that one will always be fictional.  Or at least, for as long as we can't figure out how to reverse entropy.

1 hour ago, Cybes said:

'Fraid that one will always be fictional.  Or at least, for as long as we can't figure out how to reverse entropy.

🙂

Depends how much credence you give to a multi-dimensional universe - go steal energy from another universe, they weren't using it anyway - we hope  🙂

Cheers

10 hours ago, Cybes said:

why, like this, of course

• Like 1

On 2/12/2019 at 9:01 PM, Waltish said:

We are into the character assassination now, your arguments lacking in substance, so much so, that this is what you have stooped to.

Let me simplyfy it for you.

As far as Trump goes and his effect on the USA, and consiquently the world.

There are just a few simple things I can tell you.

First let go of the hope the globalist deep state will manage to get Trump.

Patriots are in control, and they have everything, the documents the server the phone calls .

Mullers witch hunt is over it will be shut within 30 days .

Rosenstein will be out on his arse within 45 days.

Both will need good lawyer's.

Bruce Ohr already demoted twice will be booted as soon as he has finished spilling his guts to the DOJ, he also needs a good lawyer.

I would be here all night listing everything that will happen in the near future and on.

Suffice to say .....

The great awakening has begun.

The storm is coming.

Dark to Light.

WWG1WGA

(17)

Rosenstein out on on schedule 😎

On 19/02/2019 at 8:51 AM, chrisg said:

On 19/02/2019 at 1:07 AM, Cybes said:

I believe he's referring to LFTR and pebble beds, and the like.

Not really.  Or is France looking to close all their fission reactors?

2 hours ago, Nich... said:

Not really.  Or is France looking to close all their fission reactors?

I was replying to eveln, who posted:

On 19/02/2019 at 12:19 AM, eveln said:

I was under the impression that a number of the European nuclear sites were being shut down / turned off / closed for business, or whatever it is they do when they decided nuclear was no longer the go to answer  ...
Should we in Aus. still even contemplate taking a route that has been tried and found wanting ?

My comment was addressing the term "green nuclear" only - it had nothing to with the broader discussion.  It was and is my understanding that Chris had taken a similar tack.

Nobody I'm aware of has a commercial-scale LFTR or pebble-bed in service, currently.  (ISTR a pilot pebble-bed being constructed in China, but that was a While ago and I've heard nothing since. Not that I've been watching, particularly.)

Heh,

Ev is sort of correct though, as is Nich:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_power_phase-out

France, as usual, is bucking the trend but a LOT of Europe is phasing out nuclear, as are other places. To be fair the UK remains firmly nuclear.

Cheers