Sign in to follow this  
Kimmo

What a joke

Hmm,

Been watching it for a few days now,  really not sure, but it could be....

Cheers

Scomo is in the USA to meet his mate Donald now. Sounds like Donald wants to drag us into this Iran thing.

Yes, he will, and ScoMo probably wont object.

Apparently they laid out a red carpet welcome for him and played the anthem on his arrival.

A bit over the top, that sort of thing is more commonly reserved for royalty or presidents-for-life, no so much a Prime Minister-for-a-while.

Happens I have some friends in Washington at the moment, they were a bit surprised to hear the Australian anthem being played, it was a practice session for his arrival.

The situation around the Saudi oil hits gets murkier by the day. Both France and Japan are saying nothing in the intel suggests direct Iranian involvement whilst the Iranians are trotting out pieces of twisted wreckage they claim to be Iranian.

It's a little confusing to say the least, the claim is the strikes came from the north, Yemen is south of Saudi, but if they did come from Iran you have to wonder how the Aegis equipped U.S. ships presently in the Gulf did not detect them. However the same could be said if coming from Yemen, the Saudis have pretty SOTA radar kit and countermeasures although the latter are not terribly well suited to knocking down cruise missiles or drones.What makes me rather certain the strike did come from Iran is that if it came from Yemen the missiles/drones would have had to actually fly past Riyadh, they'd be hard put not to be seen plus its a much longer trip.

Pretty good bet THAAD or even iron Dome will be en route to Saudi soon, which might be a little confusing being Israel pretty much developed the latter and it is probably better at dealing with these sort of threats.

Cheers

I'd have thought just the rotational orientation of the earth still makes Parkes a necessary radio telescope to stay in contact with a moon shot.

Although with advances in satellite tech. I would have thought could get by without it.

Still, it's mostly symbolic and to keep the next moonshot on the agenda, five years is the goal.

Cheers

7 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Scomo is in the USA to meet his mate Donald now. Sounds like Donald wants to drag us into this Iran thing.

My radio told me this morn that Gina Rhinehart is also going ...

Land based radio is the only firm guarantee to stay in contact.  Comms to satellites can be jammed, overridden etc.

Though in this day I reckon a combination of physical layer elements might be best, and just dynamically switch to the path with the least lag and interference.

28 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Land based radio is the only firm guarantee to stay in contact.  Comms to satellites can be jammed, overridden etc.

Though in this day I reckon a combination of physical layer elements might be best, and just dynamically switch to the path with the least lag and interference.

So, what, does that mean what my radio says is true, or just that it is likely the clearest signal ? ... heading into the nearest town the signal goes to shit amongst the hill and valley

That's in reference to a moon mission.

Sort of funny - 50 years ago it was almost leading edge to get that shitty SSTV 140 scanline or whatever it was picture, which was converted by putting a TV camera in front of a monitor.

In the modern day we should manage somewhat better.

• Like 1

🙂

Can't really say I see much difference between picking up a signal on a geostationary or at Parkes - if you believe "The Dish" they lost link anyway, but did get it back  🙂

If we can't do a LOT better than 1969, after half a century we really don't deserve to go back now, do we ?

😉

Cheers

🙂

Interesting trivia,  at a guess if we can contribute it will more likely be via Exmouth and surrounds on this round, or there's always Pine Gap I suppose, don't recall  if it was online in '69.

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

Trump announced he's putting US troop in Saudi Arabia as well as more sanctions on Iran ... yep, who needs John Bolton!

Someone might want to remind him that it was U.S. troops in Saudi that so enraged Bin Laden that he knocked over the towers...

What's wrong with the UAE or Qatar? Just as in-theatre, not as nuts.

Cheers

On 13/09/2019 at 6:30 PM, Leonid said:

Which is the same as Classical Arabic with exception to spelling and hyphenation.

You miss the point tho. While translations exist it has never been translated - in other words the original (in effect) exists. We only read translations and compilations of the bible and Torah because they are unavailable to us in original form and language + the original language is no longer spoken and hasn’t been in Millenia so there is no way to guarantee that meaning came across in the translation.

The Quran is literally unchanged and the language it was written in is spoken by 320m people around the world.

Dunno what you're talking about.  If English was good enough for jesus, it should be good enough for all of us.

🙂

Have I got news for you, and no, not "Good News..."  🙂

Cheers

11 hours ago, Nich... said:

Dunno what you're talking about.  If English was good enough for jesus, it should be good enough for all of us.

indeed

all hail the language of the milch messiah

Edited by scruffy1

Heh, looks like Australia will invest 150 million with NASA for that moon thing.

Looks like Scomo didn't automatically sign up for a war on Iran as yet

Seems America wants us more for our  smarts, like CSIRO kind of smarts - which is smart 🙂

Cheers

Not sure just how much fire there is in this still:

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2019/9/19/1886579/-Whistleblower-complaint-involved-a-series-of-actions-by-Trump?utm_source=quora&utm_medium=referral

America is becoming so divided they might as well get the muskets out of the attic.

However if it is a smouldering fire under the law, which seems pretty evident, then Trump is in trouble...

Cheers

Robert O’Brien, the former hostage negotiator, replaces John Bolton. I guess they need a hostage negotiator when working with Trump as POTUS ...

🙂

Dunno, he seems to have a take no prisoners approach, very gung-ho until someones RPG out-trumps your SMG...

Cheers

On 9/21/2019 at 10:07 AM, chrisg said:

Someone might want to remind him that it was U.S. troops in Saudi that so enraged Bin Laden that he knocked over the towers...

6m jews died in the Holocaust and there's no Jews enraged enough to kill 3000 random Germans.

Japan got nuked twice and no Japanese exploded in movie theatres.

Lets stop infantilizing Arabs shall we?

Someone put a burr up your ass ?

No one is trivializing the truth, I'd  just prefer to see it not repeated or attempted to  by extremists.

Cheers