Sign in to follow this  
Kimmo

What a joke

Has anyone here sat and watched the SU address ? Comments ? ... All I've seen is a few tube reviews at this stage

Okay then. Have not long finished watching it. Timing or what , hey ?! who thinks he'll get the go ahead for the rest of his wall-like structures now ?  ... I think he just might.

I watched the start. He was saying all the right things but I don't know. You just have this voice in your head saying "well back that up then, I'll believe it when I see it." for all the bipartisan talk I feel he'll be part of bipartisanship as long as he gets his own way and they just agree. Much as his idea of compromise would be to bring to the table things he knows won't get up so he can trade them and look like he's compromising. 

I'm sure it would be the same the other way round too though. 

• Like 1

I'm curious just what you mean Ev.

I watched it and for those who want to explore it deeper here is the full transcript:

https://www.vox.com/2019/2/5/18212533/president-trump-state-of-the-union-address-live-transcript

To me the address only served to deepen the divide not only between the two major parties but also the gulf that divides the nation at the moment.

Sure, the media who are anti-Trump had a bit of a field day with Pelosi's sarcastic clap, his juvenile namesake falling  asleep in the audience, the utter silence when he made his comments that made an appearance of rolling back emancipation - if you interpret it that way, the refusal of the women in the audience to stand at one point because of his well,  arrogant statement re women, the camera grab of the white-clad women taking the cameras off him, bet he hated that, but the pro-Trump media hardly gloated.

An early poll showed luke-warm approval, a later one revealed the early poll was slanted towards his supporters, a more balanced poll of broad national approval showed much less than a luke-warm response.

To me he really didn't say much new, he just laid out the same tune to a different chorus and it was a decidedly egotistical performance, as usual.

No, I don't think it will make one whit of difference to getting funding approval for the wall, but I am interested to know why you think it might.

Cheers

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fliptopia said:

He was saying all the right things but I don't know.

What's difficult to decide here? The man is completely full of shit

3 hours ago, chrisg said:

To me he really didn't say much new, he just laid out the same tune to a different chorus and it was a decidedly egotistical performance, as usual.

No, I don't think it will make one whit of difference to getting funding approval for the wall, but I am interested to know why you think it might.

He didn't have to say anything new. He simply had to state clearly and yes advantageously to his and his Party's agenda, what was happening during his reign as President.

It's the State of the Union Address. It was not supposed  to be a political rally.

He made it plain that the wall was an old promise from previous years and Parties that hadn't been fulfilled ... and he was  is gonna make it happen ... lol .

Edited by eveln

🙂

It was as ego driven as usual Ev, never heard a State of the Union quite like it and most every claim he made was at best a half-truth or a Trump opinion.

He yet again overlooked that all previous from the other side of the house "wall" proposals have been completely different, not some medieval fortification but a tech driven border surveillance especially in the more recent past.

No, I don't like him,  I don't like his presidency, I don't like what he is doing to America, I don't like him as a person, I don't like his politics and don't like his strutting and he said nothing to change my view.

He's an embarrassment and although I don't use Twitter it apparently pretty much immediately lit up with Americans in the majority expressing precisely that opinion about him.

Cheers

42 minutes ago, chrisg said:

I don't like him,  I don't like his presidency, I don't like what he is doing to America, I don't like him as a person, I don't like his politics and don't like his strutting

He is the absolute fucken worst

A reductio ad absurdum for the alleged meritocracy. 

🙂

You may not care much for AOC but she sure revealed how messed up the U.S. political system is and implied just how much Trump has been able to take advantage of the system and his position in it:

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/bad-guy-aocs-sensational-fiveminute-takedown-us-finance-laws/news-story/8f952c2790e164a5dd0a7d549a22769a

Wouldn't you just love to be the person who finally gets rid of him ?

Point a finger at him and declare "Trump, you are trumped, and you are fired."

The sooner the better...

Cheers

Wow, this is a big deal - Jeff Bezos 'blackmail' claim puts focus on National Enquirer links to Trump

Remember the British phone hacking scandal that brought down a newspaper? Well, imagine the newspaper had cronies in government that provided MI5's resources to do the hacking! 

Holy fucken crap. 

“If indeed AMI’s threats and acts of intimidation toward the press were coordinated with the president or done at his request, it would represent a perilous escalation of the president’s war on the first amendment and the role of a free press. Congress should act immediately to investigate these serious allegations.”

According to the emails released by Bezos, AMI offered a formal deal: the tabloid would agree to not publish the photos if Bezos and his investigators would release a public statement “affirming that they have no knowledge or basis” to suggest the Enquirer’s coverage was “politically motivated or influenced by political forces”.

But in a move that has earned widespread public praise, Bezos said he decided to publish the emails sent to his team “rather than capitulate to extortion and blackmail”, despite the “personal cost and embarrassment they threaten”.

“Of course I don’t want personal photos published, but I also won’t participate in their well-known practice of blackmail, political favors, political attacks, and corruption. I prefer to stand up, roll this log over, and see what crawls out.”

Other journalists appeared to back Bezos’s allegations about AMI tactics. Ronan Farrow, an investigative reporter at HBO and the New Yorker, tweeted: “I and at least one other prominent journalist involved in breaking stories about the National Enquirer’s arrangement with Trump fielded similar ‘stop digging or we’ll ruin you’ blackmail efforts from AMI.”

Onya, Bezos. 

Edited by Kimmo
  • Like 1

Pretty silly messing with someone like Bezos, cashed up and not where he is by being a weakling.

Perhaps, just perhaps, this is yet another chink in Trump's facade and it would be nice to see the Enquirer brought down - disgusting rag.

Cheers

Then there's the Saudi angle... This has the makings of a real humdinger. 

Is there a Russian piss-tape of Donald Trump? Did a government agency intercept Amazon boss Jeff Bezos’s dick pics? How did Trump’s cheerleaders at the National Enquirer get them? Is this part of Trump’s willy-waving at Bezos as owner of the Washington Post? Does the Enquirer’s apparent blackmail threat to Bezos breach its plea deal with Robert Mueller’s Trump-Russia investigation, which gave its owners, American Media Inc, immunity in exchange for evidence about Michael Cohen’s role in its policy of buying and killing Trump sex exposés? Is Riyadh somehow involved, given AMI’s business ties with senior Saudi figures, and given that Bezos owns the Washington Post, whose columnist Jamal Khashoggi was murdered by the regime last October?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/08/trump-bezos-public-life-dignified-us-president

PMSL

On the other hand, those untangling the Trump web will take what they can. Occupying the moral high ground, then, is the richest man in the world, who is essentially saying that the way HE handles the scrapes his penis gets him into is so much more noble than the way the leader of the free world handles the scrapes HIS penis gets him into. He’s right. Hey – in the kingdom of the dignity-free, the guy who doesn’t pay people not to mention the Mario Kart mushroom is king.

36 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

PMSL

Re that second quote, I think maybe the reporter might have missed some nuance: Sure, the subject matter is about as humiliating to have under a spotlight, but Bezos' reaction simply *is* superior.  Instead of trying to pay everyone to shut up, or cave to their demands, Bezos has owned up to it and pointed the spotlight straight back at the scum trying to manipulate him.

And good on him, I say.  If Trump had that kind of rectitude he might not be a Russian tool atm.  (Still a tool, just not theirs.)

2 hours ago, Kimmo said:

Onya, Bezos. 

This from you Kimmo ? Really ?

I mean if it weren't for Bernie Sanders making it very bloody public that the richest man today ( Forbes) allowed a goodly percentage of his Amazon work force to rely on food stamps, his staff are now apparently paid award wages ...

ffs

I don't at all disagree Ev, but minimum wage statutes are behind the low wages of unskilled workers across the U.S. workforce, it's been an enduring national disgrace.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/02/amazon-raises-minimum-wage-to-15-for-all-us-employees.html

As that article points out Amazon was not alone in paying minimum wage and whilst I like Sanders he might have been more usefully engaged in getting the minimum wage up to something people can actually live on, then food stamps wouldn't be needed.

It's a part of the gulf that is America, their minimum wages are appalling and the wealthy, including politicians like Sanders, don't really have any concept of just how those on minimum wage exist.

A business owner like Bezos probably had no idea until embarrassed by the revelation, he is hardly involved in bottom level hire and fire, that's HR, the soulless pricks of most any company that does not actively set a wage structure.

Cheers

The buck stops at the bosses desk. Right ?!

" During March 9, Bezos earned $230,000 every 60 seconds.[174]The Motley Fool estimated that if Bezos had not sold any of his shares from its original public offering in 1997, his net worth would sit at $181 billion in 2018.[175] According to Quartz, his net worth of $150 billion in July 2018 was enough to purchase the entire stock markets of Nigeria, Hungary, Egypt, Luxembourg, and Iran.[176] Following the report by Quartz, Amazon workers in Poland, Germany, and Spain participated in demonstrations and labor strikes to draw awareness to his growing wealth and the lack of compensation, labor rights, and satisfactory working conditions of select Amazon workers.[177] "

I thought Kimmo was for democracy and fair play etc.etc. This guy Bezos is not shy about spreading the pain around ;)  ... sure he gave millions to charities, I mean that always looks good in one's bio.

/it's funny when I read about all the rich dudes who give to charities and the apparent millions given, I wonder how come we still have people needing charity.

😉

Buck stops here came from Harry Truman, had it on his desk.

Within reason I agree but in a massive company not really possible but for all the disgustedly mega-rich it is totally impossible so everything to do with day-to-day, like wages, gets delegated.

If it were not the companies would not be the size they are and would therefore employ far less people, damned if you, damned if you don't.

As for big contributions to charities, two factors. At the rate Bezos' fortune increases, Gates is the same, whatever millions they donate their nett worth still increases, partly that is because all that largesse is tax deductible.

Cheers

4 minutes ago, chrisg said:

If it were not the companies would not be the size they are and would therefore employ far less people, damned if you, damned if you don't.

Disagree, if ALL companies had to pay a minimum wage, then they would adapt to the new system

I liken it to (for example) a franchise 'Chris Burgers' want to open their first store in a new town. because they have an internationally known brand, the battle through red tape is eased, they get the roads altered so customers can more easily access their business, and they get a tax breaks for the first 10 years
Meanwhile "Pete's Burgers' who does not have the money to grease palms, or spend fancy advertising, has to deal with crappy parking and no tax breaks

Big business will survive without government handouts

• Like 2

🙂

Not what I meant Ali, I was pointing out that the owner of a massive company like Amazon does not get involved in hire-and-fire, possibly at very senior levels but not most employees. If he did or in fact even had beyond a certain point in the company growth he'd be working entirely on admin and not growing the company. Running a business is complicated enough, a great deal of which being compliance and accounting.

The U.S. does have a minimum wage, just it's below the poverty line hence food stamps. Australia has a minimum wage but it is basically livable. The U.S. needs to raise the minimum wage and stop the handouts, utterly agree but it has always been that way and most business would howl like crazy if there was move to raise it. A business like Amazon, essentially built on-line, has a pretty heavy bottom in staff, warehouse people etc, unskilled labor. They should indeed be paid more, not a badly paid job here, but not the U.S. way and I totally agree with you that it is wrong.

I once had a chat to a waitress in Dallas, probably 30 years ago, then the minimum wage, which she was on, was $3.50 an hour. No wonder the service industry is so good in the U.S. they live or rather exist, on tips.

Which of course leads to the tipping society debate, get good service show your appreciation, but it is very much a product of low wage nations. Not so much the case here but I still tip for good service, just don't if the service is crap, which it can be here, never seen it in the States.

Cheers

20 hours ago, eveln said:

This from you Kimmo ? Really ?

It wasn't an endorsement of his entire existence, just this one thing he did. And I guess looking after the WaPo counts for a fair bit too. 

Surely you don't expect me to have nothing between unreserved praise and unmitigated condemnation? I mean really. Come on. 

• Like 2

Anyway, rather than focusing on how to regard billionaires, how about noticing the actual story here? It's kind of a BFD. 

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out over the next few months, I guess, when it goes from implications to something (hopefully) more concrete.

4 hours ago, Kimmo said:

Anyway, rather than focusing on how to regard billionaires, how about noticing the actual story here? It's kind of a BFD. 

Thing is there are sooo many stories here. And "story" is your word chosen. not even concrete ( as Nich says )

4 hours ago, Kimmo said:

It wasn't an endorsement of his entire existence, just this one thing he did. And I guess looking after the WaPo counts for a fair bit too. 

Sure it was.  The guy was gonna have shot at nailing someone you hate ... like '  the enemy of my enemy becomes my friend ', yeah ? <<< how cool is that

Edited by eveln
cos gramma