Sign in to follow this  
Kimmo

What a joke

4 hours ago, Kimmo said:

Some folks around here are really, really preoccupied with the status of others. I don't think creepy is quite the word, though

Says guy who spends every waking moment counting others’ money and the status of millionaires and billionaires.

is it just me, or is the testosterone level in this place reaching peak musk ?

can all you people (well, the male people) stop competing for the "lord of the flies" prize

it's all a bit like unreality tv here at the moment, and if i wanted that shit i'd have a television

this is what happens in a closed ecosystem i guess - the web equivalent of global warming

/end critique

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

Some have just had enough is all.

3 minutes ago, hulkster said:

Some have just had enough is all.

that was sorta my point

1 minute ago, scruffy1 said:

that was sorta my point

I should wear my glasses more lol

Old age sucks

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hulkster said:

I should wear my glasses more lol

Old age sucks

don't get me started

16 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

can all you people (well, the male people) stop competing for the "lord of the flies" prize

How dare you!

I identify as a feisty two-spirit trans-mermaid.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

it's all a bit like unreality tv here at the moment, and if i wanted that shit i'd have a television

this is what happens in a closed ecosystem i guess - the web equivalent of global warming

/end critique

#notallmen 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, @~thehung said:

^^ seem to have lost your grip on the subjunctive there 😉

That wouldn't be surprising, given I had to google that

1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

This is what happens in an extinction event.

Edited by Kimmo

31 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

This is what happens in an extinction event.

you might be becoming extinct Kimmo ... I'm not gonna 😛

7 minutes ago, eveln said:

you might be becoming extinct Kimmo ... I'm not gonna 😛

delusion has no gender preference

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

delusion has no gender preference

finally ! Equality !

Posted (edited)

OK what's the USA putting bases ... in Greece? Greece is next to Turkey ... note

Edited by Jeruselem

🙂

Trump et al are not noted for being subtle although that must have been in the works for a while. Donald has been rather distracted of late with calls for impeachment, that is when he's not telling us in tweets about his all-seeing wisdom.

I really cannot fathom what he is doing in Syria, I'd be pretty certain he doesn't either.

I've never understood why there needs to be an American presence there, it's all very well to say to fight ISIS but the numbers do not stack up, supply the beleaguered Kurds with whatever they want, sure, good idea, but the limited number of Americans that are there, or at least admitted to be there, really cannot make much difference in a civil war that has been grinding on for years.

It's as if because Russia is assisting the Syrian government, who have been a very long term customer of Russia that he just has to get in there.

It's an impossibly mired situation that the US has no reason to be engaged in. I really, really do feel for the Kurds, they keep getting kicked out of everywhere, Iraq, Saddam gassed them, now Turkey is all but threatening genocide, they just want a place to live. In the craziness of the ME Israel is attacking Syria, without having declared anything but I don't have much of a handle on the Israeli stance toward the Kurds. They OUGHT to feel sympathy for them, their plight is not so different but the are mostly Sunni Muslim so that would complicate things.

Whatever they are essentially stateless, nominally from Iran but pretty scattered. Just how they have ended up fighting with Americans against the very corrupt Syrian government is just indicative of the sheer craziness of the ME.

It has hardly been a good week for Trump at all in affairs both Foreign and domestic. He is getting battered by the Dems, and ranting back in more an more strident tweets, his talks with NK have collapsed, he can't make his mind up over Syria, he's losing it with Turkey, list goes on, and on.

Turkey is actually a bigger issue than it even appears, they are a signatory to the F-35 programme and manufacture some key parts of the aircraft as do several other nations.

If they cease to do so, and one could hardly blame them with the debacle going on there then it plunges the programme back into chaos again. The US can certainly take over the necessary manufacturing, but not overnight, just tooling up would consume more than a year and the back orders are piling up.

Methinks several wheels are coming off in Washington just now.

Cheers

2 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

OK what's the USA putting bases

Upping the alliance.

Greece, Israel and Cyprus have found common cause.

Cyprus hosts Airforce Base Akrotiki which is nominally British but is NATO. Greece will now have one. Israel defends itself by itself but back in early 2018 allowed a US base to open up in country for the very first time.

USA ain't stupid.

Turkey's Putin has expansionist ideas.

2 hours ago, chrisg said:

I don't have much of a handle on the Israeli stance toward the Kurds

Extremely pissed off about the US leaving.

image.png.d1a37e4e133fa5729f5212f127118e6a.png

Israel has a long-standing alliance with the Kurds and the Kurds are huge fans of Israeli policies towards Arabs.

Well, that is good to know, confusing in a way being Kurds are mostly Sunni, but Israel doesn't really care what religion you are so long as you keep it to yourself.

I do understand their being pissed off about the US pulling out but then again Trump was on record as withdrawing from Syria months ago.

The direct American on-the-ground presence is not large I would have thought it more important that they do not withdraw air support and I have no seen that mentioned.

Turkey really is becoming a PITA though, the F-35 situation is pretty much the last straw.

Cheers

It’s not very difficult.

Israel support any pro-Israel or neutral indigenous movement in the Middle East.

Also Israel is currently negotiating a non-aggression pact with the GCC so maybe next year the informal anti-Iran alliance will become formal.

A Sunni GCC-Jewish alliance is the Palestinians’ worst nightmare and given they’ve never missed an opportunity to miss an opportunity, it’ll probably happen.

Once that alliance is formal, the Palestinians will have the pariah states of Syria and Iran to lean on and the failed states of Lebanon and Iraq to cry to.

Edited by Leonid

... and as noted elsewhere the Turks are now bombing the Kurds...

I have no idea if  that could draw Israel in, it would not be too hard, meanwhile Trump wants to just fold and get out - typical.

Cheers

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

... and as noted elsewhere the Turks are now bombing the Kurds...

I have no idea if  that could draw Israel in, it would not be too hard, meanwhile Trump wants to just fold and get out - typical.

Cheers

you spent most of this thread saying you were afraid he’d push the big red button.

Not exactly but I do regard him as dangerously unstable and with access to "the big red button."

Proceedings are moving closer and close to him with the arrest of two associates of Giuliani over election funding violations with pictures of the two men with Trump junior being posted on websites. 

Meanwhile he seems to be becoming less and less rational as he abandons the Kurds with some ridiculous excuse over them not helping us in Normandy - turns out there were Kurd battalions on the allies side in WWII although what relevance that has only Trump would know. Either way Turkey a supposed NATO ally is killing Kurds in Syria for reasons that seem purely racist after they have been fighting alongside the Americans that are or were there against ISIS for a long time.

His allies are not stupid, but he seems to treat them as such.

If he wants to create another terror group  with a long term grudge against America he is certainly going the right way about it.

Cheers

The problem is this Chris: every time America gets involved in a war in the ME, activists want American troops home.

He is 100% right - the war between the Kurds and well, pretty much everyone else, is fairly ancient.

The only way it’s going to be won is the Yugoslavia option. But against a NATO member? The rest of NATO will quake - can you imagine what Spain might say if USA supported establishing a state by carving out a part of a NATO ally?

So he’s done the thing he promised to do - stop senseless wars. He (probably) can’t win this one. So he’s buggering off.

So I understand that. I do.

BUT

I’ve long supported the Kurds because like every sane human being I’m anti-colonialism and the Kurds are the largest group of people in the world without a state. I also owe them.

Without them, it’s likely the Iraqi army would’ve joined the fight against my people in 1948 but because the Kurds attacked them (for their own reasons), the Iraqi army was unable to join the fight against Israel in any useful number to make a difference.

But even without that. The Kurds deserve a state on their indigenous lands. Free of Arab and Ottoman imperialism.

They’ve been gassed, raped and murdered enough and proved resilient enough to still kick ass and take names.

Yeah,

that is the part that both saddens and angers me.

America should not have become involved in the Syrian situation in the first place - I have no issue with and would actually encourage supply of whatever the Kurds want to them but a token number of troops no matter how badass they are is just stupid and it can be much more difficult to pull them out.

It's similar to getting bogged down in Iraq and Afghanistan, there is absolutely nothing to gain from it, if they had finished the Iraq War properly the first time around they would not have had to return but they didn't and now they are stuck. Afghanistan they really should have looked at the history of the place, no one wins a war there. The British Empire tried and was basically ground up, the same happened to the Russians. But they went in there and again they are stuck, losing men and costing massive amounts of wasted money.

I utterly agree the Kurds need a homeland but where is the question. It would never endure in any part of Turkey even though that country is a lot of empty space,  Iraq is out of the question, they were gassed out of the place and Iran they have been persecuted for centuries. It is a absolute tragedy with no obvious answer at all.

I'm not as sure though about Turkey even remaining in NATO, they are being hostile, as always, towards the Greeks, are cosying up to Russia with the contentious S400 deal that may break their involvement in the F-35. I don't know what Erdogan has in mind but it does not seem very engaged with being part of NATO.

Cheers