Sign in to follow this  
Kimmo

What a joke

No, not particularly but wishing something was not is not going to make it go away.

Just as an example I''m pretty certain the corona virus will not be some all-killing scourge but it is already having a drastic affect upon the economy, particularly that of Queensland where many of the popular Chinese tours that come each year, especially to FNQ, are already being cancelled. Your state Premier is very concerned about that.

It is likely SA will have similar problems, a new University year is about to begin and many of the Chinese students who pay to study in this state will not be able to attend as yet.

The world is beset by more problems than it realises, it does not need Trump, or anyone else, adding to them through ignorance.

Cheers

3 hours ago, chrisg said:

It is at its most dangerous when people think it is bullshit.

So lemme get this right: the guy that has demonstrated time and time again that he doesn’t want war and continuously tells Iran that he is uninterested in regime change - just policy change, is the guy you fear using a nuke.

3 hours ago, chrisg said:

The author of that book is a Political Science Grad from MIT

I’m trying to work out why that’s important relative to observed facts.

• Like 1

Cos, in the world according to chrisg, a person who went to uni knows more about everything

Edited by eveln
"about everything"

I'd say there is a reasonable chance he is better informed, yes. Certainly better informed than you.

Trump is a disaster with foreign policy Leo you know that but it is convenient to your theme to ignore it.

He has not done anything constructive to end any of the conflicts that are still embroiling the Middle East. He utterly botched a withdrawal from Syria  - the troops are still there but he's lost the trust of the  Kurds. He killed Solemeini on Iraqi soil which led to demands that troops leave, but they haven't and meanwhile he played down the Iranian response when actually some troops suffered debilitating  injuries, concussion related. He still has Iran sitting there waiting to drop the other shoe, and they will.

His so called "Peace Plan" has been utterly condemned by the Palestinians and even many Israelis wonder what is new.

He has a foreign policy that he makes up on a daily basis.

Do I trust this man with the Nuclear Launch codes ?

Don't be so fucking stupid.

Cheers

I'd say there's a reasonable chance MIT dude thinks his opinion is more worthy than lots of folk. Hence putting himself out there for the posterity wank.

Who cares who you trust chrisg

I didn't say I trust him necessarily but he has been around for a long time, I've been reading his stuff for a number of years.

Put it this way I'd prefer to trust him than I would Trump, but that goes without saying...

Cheers

The left are just so ignorant with their heads up their arses and holier than the rest attitude, the answer to their problem of being in opposition is staring them in the face.

The public just won't digest their repugnant economic and social policies.  You could clone Hitler and throw him in against them and they'd still probably lose. 

ed - better strike that out in case one of them discovers the secret.

Edited by Rybags

Yes,

They've certainly lost their way and let a Trump in, it's really quite scary what the lunatic has been getting away with.

Cheers

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

I'd say there is a reasonable chance he is better informed, yes. Certainly better informed than you.

I don’t hire uni graduates. I prefer experience and nous.

But that’s beside the point. If a car mechanic tells me I need oil, but I don’t, that doesn’t make him authoritatively right. He might just wanna make money.

Like this is PoliSci we’re talking about. It’s basically a degree in bending feces into appealing shapes.

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

His so called "Peace Plan" has been utterly condemned by the Palestinians

That’s probably why it’ll work.

2 hours ago, chrisg said:

some troops suffered debilitating  injuries, concussion related.

Concussion is hardly qualifying of the term “debilitating” but even if so - those injuries can be sustained by a kid faking in a skate park.

Not exactly fucking E.R level response required.

Edited by Leonid

🙂

I've had some "interesting" encounters with graduates, in particular from University of Waterloo. If you don't know they have a rather radical curriculum that forces collaboration. From my experience it works about 50% of the time, they all seem to graduate but some burn out from the experience.

MIT is somewhat different though, has produced a very broad range of great intellects over the years.

Mechanics are a different story, recently I bought an OBD II Bluetooth interface and have gotten back to servicing my own car. Always preferred it but for a while they really had you on a leash with the computer interface - not any more.

Cheers

2 hours ago, chrisg said:

He has not done anything constructive to end any of the conflicts that are still embroiling the Middle East. He utterly botched a withdrawal from Syria  - the troops are still there but he's lost the trust of the  Kurds. He killed Solemeini on Iraqi soil which led to demands that troops leave, but they haven't and meanwhile he played down the Iranian response when actually some troops suffered debilitating  injuries, concussion related. He still has Iran sitting there waiting to drop the other shoe, and they will.

Considering that there has been unrest in the middle east for decades, id say American policy in regards to that area have been flawed for decades. Trump, Obama, Bush 1&2, Clinton, Regan, Peanut, Ford, Nixon (and the rest) have all failed

I totally agree TMFP.

Were it not for the oil the Americans would barely be there.

Sure, they would back Israel up but just how invading Iraq and Afghanistan and making threatening moves toward Iran really defines assisting Israel does not really compute.

Israel has for quite a while been perfectly capable of defending itself against those States, for all their bluster. Actually the only one that has directly attacked Israel was Iraq in '91 with Scuds which was a desperation play to bring Israel into the war and collapse the coalition. It didn't work.

Indirectly I'm sure they support the Palestinians lobbing their erratic missiles into Israel but Iron Dome takes care of those anyway. What a lot of people do not appreciate is that the Palestinians are actually pariahs in most of the Arab States as well. They don't mind taking them as cheap labour but they will not grant them citizenship.

Like most of the ME its hypocrites in action.

Cheers

12 minutes ago, TheManFromPOST said:

Considering that there has been unrest in the middle east for decades, id say American policy in regards to that area have been flawed for decades. Trump, Obama, Bush 1&2, Clinton, Regan, Peanut, Ford, Nixon (and the rest) have all failed

Let's not forget the author of the whole shemozzle - fucking Kissinger. 

Hmm,

That's probably utterly true Kimmo.

To my surprise he's still alive, 96 but still alive.

I wonder what he thinks of the present President ?

Cheers

1 hour ago, TheManFromPOST said:

No no, now you know it's all Trump's fault ! How could you think  otherwise I?

I reckon, so far, this POTUS and his Gov. have caused the least amount of trouble and, as Leonid keeps reminding us, the only POTUS to not start a war, to date. 

None of that counts for shite though, and is still cause for criticism, cos, Trump hate rules.

Obama did not start any wars, he inherited them. Trump is finding out, as Obama did, how hard it is to get out of them.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Kimmo said:

Let's not forget the author of the whole shemozzle - fucking Kissinger. 

As usual, our resident Red is wrong.

American meddling in the Middle East began with the Barbary Wars of the 1800s, lulled, kicked up a notch in the 30s and went into current mode in 1945 with the Cold War.

Kissinger has SFA to do with it being the author. He wrote a paragraph in a 300-page book.

12 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Obama did not start any wars,

Libya.

Edited by Leonid

16 minutes ago, chrisg said:

he inherited them

... and expanded them. Get out of Iraq, watch “JV team” take over, get back into Iraq. Add Syria to the list.

Oh shit, Yemen. Ok better help there too!

The man micromanaged his defense secretaries (the first three have said so themselves) and created the legally dubious doctrine of “pattern bombing”. Roughly speaking “pattern bombing” is “hey those people we haven’t tagged as terrorists have never been in that house before together, LETS FUCKEN NUKE IT FROM ORBIT. ‘MURICA, FUCK YEAH!”

There’s a longer version of that definition but it’s the story of how Droney McPeaceprize droned a Pakistani wedding. But you know, that’s not impeachable because it actually happened and brown people killed by nominal lefties get a pass.

Edited by Leonid

Nah,

Libya was NATO, and Obama regretted even that,  he made strong attempts to draw down Iraq and Yemen is Saudi's mess.

The fleet does try to keep Yemen bottled up but it doesn't work, too asymmetric.

Cheers

Talking to a brick wall Leonid, chrisg has the real story, he knows the real truth, don't ya know ... he reads stuff.

Edited by eveln

2 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Libya was NATO

UNSC 1973 was pushed by USA with Obama cheerleading authorization of war against Libya.

NATO enforced UNSC 1973 as justification for action.

Libya was Obama.

40 minutes ago, eveln said:

Trump hate rules

They’re not even rules.

Whole world’s like “I’m walking off this cliff” and we’re like “why?” and the world’s like “because dem’s the rules we’ve worked to for 70 years” and we’re like “so maybe they’re shit rules, here’s a rope, climb down” and the world’s like “fuck you racist homophobic cis-gendered white warmonger neo-conservative” and we’re like “Uh-uh, *elect Trump*”

And the world’s like “you’re all idiot racists *continues walking off a cliff*”

Because dem’s the rules.

This short story has been brought to you by the letter P, for population cull. We start with commies.

Edited by Leonid
  • Haha 1

You could argue it all day, NATO elected to go in so it was a joint operation, the Belgians went first, it was never a war and Obama regretted he even did that much.

Personally I don't, it finalised the removal of Gaddaffi but Libya is still in a mess.

Cheers

39 minutes ago, chrisg said:

NATO elected to go in

NATO went to war on the back of UNSC 1973. UNSC 1973 was heavily pushed by Obama.

He had a veto over it but he didn’t use it because he wanted to go to war.

NATO doesn’t go to war monolithically. Even Article 5 doesn’t commit members to war if a member is attacked. America went to war because it wanted to.

FYI, 9/11 had America incoming Article 5 and NATO invaded Afghanistan. But not all of NATO. 

Because member states don’t ALL have to go to war when NATO does.

Edited by Leonid

No, Id suggest he saw no alternative but he later admitted it was a mistake - regardless no one declared war.  UNSC 1973 was for a no-fly zone over Libya, it pre-dated everything by rather a lot of years.

To say the situation in Libya had changed would be a massive understatement, I sort of wonder just how relevant UNSC 1973 even was.

NATO is based upon agreement, veto or abstention. In theory NATO could have gone to war with Argentina over the Falklands but the UK didn't even ask - didn't need to.

It really bemuses me that whenever an argument about Trump gets going it quickly devolves to "but he did!!!"  Referring to Obama.

Who gives a fuck ?

Obama is history, the only way his legacy relates to Trump is in the economy he handed over that Trump has been crowing about for three years.

Of course in the meantime he completely reversed all the good Obama did in getting the National debt down, upped it and gave it to top end of town as a tax break who promptly bought back stock and drove the market up giving him something else to crow about - until it crashes...

He's a fuckwit, he does not know what he is doing, blunders from one disaster to the next whilst living in a world of his own that is going to blow up in his face before long.

Cheers