Sign in to follow this  
Kimmo

Happy Invasion Day

9 hours ago, Kimmo said:

If you find yourself agreeing with fucking News Corp, you should probably stop and take a look at yourself. 

"In a rare move, many outlets actually asked Aboriginal people to weigh in. " LOL

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

actually asked Aboriginal people to weigh in

Particularly if they were in that tiny sliver of the Venn diagram where Aboriginal and Liberal party member overlap.

2 hours ago, fliptopia said:

but it is the least complicated to fix. 

To you, maybe. But more than 70% of Australians don't want to change it.

That's what makes it complicated.

2 minutes ago, Leonid said:

Just because there are some complications doesn't mean it's not the least complicated. 

50 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

Particularly if they were in that tiny sliver of the Venn diagram where Aboriginal and Liberal party member overlap.

The tiny sliver that is growing. Sit-down money to stay on the plantation and out of sight isn't appealing to an increasing number of Aborigines.

2 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

Just because there are some complications doesn't mean it's not the least complicated. 

And fucking for virginity also makes a lot of sense because that's the only way to produce more virgins.

It just takes a lot of time.

1 hour ago, Leonid said:

i am shocked and appalled and dismayed that you Leo, of all people, would uncritically accept uncritical reporting about a biased poll conducted by a right-wing lobby group (Advance Australia)!😱

here is the poll:  link

here are the questions:

WHAT HISTORICAL AUSTRALIAN EVENT OCCURRED ON 26 JANUARY?
DO YOU FEEL PROUD TO CELEBRATE AUSTRALIA DAY ON 26 JANUARY?
GIVEN AUSTRALIA DAY IS OUR NATIONAL DAY, WHAT DOES IT REPRESENT TO YOU
DO YOU BELIEVE WE SHOULD CHANGE THE DATE OF AUSTRALIA DAY FROM 26 JANUARY TO SOME OTHER DATE?
DO YOU BELIEVE CHANGING THE DATE OF AUSTRALIA DAY SHOULD BE A PRIORITY FOR POLITICIANS?
DO YOU FEEL THAT POLITICIANS AND ACTIVISTS ARE MORE CONCERNED WITH POLITICAL POINT SCORING RATHER THAN DELIVERING FOR THE COUNTRY?
DO YOU BELIEVE AUSTRALIA IS BECOMING TOO POLITICALLY CORRECT?
IF YOU KNEW THAT YOUR LOCAL MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT DIDN’T SUPPORT AUSTRALIA DAY BEING ON 26 JANUARY,  WOULD IT CHANGE HOW YOU VOTE?

interactive voice response poll from 1659 respondents (a massive 0.000065% of the electorate)
manipulative methodology; misdirection, and leading questions
suspicious selection of respondents:  that 55% percent of males, and 29% of females would change how they vote if their local member wanted to change the date tells you everything you need to know about how representative this group is LOL

but most telling of all, with regard to the issue at hand: no mention at all of indigenous people in the questions nor any response sought to changing the date for a given reason.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, fliptopia said:

. To my mind, I'd liken it to having a storm and part of your roof comes in and you have a cracked tile letting water in else where. I'd go fix the cracked tile because I know what to do with that. In the same way people have an easier time dealing with the date. I don't think their forgetting the bigger problems but it's easier to galvanise around a easier to fix issue. 

And while you're attempting ( cos that is what is happening and taking years ) the " easier issue " the real storm does it's lifelong damage that undermines the strength and wellbeing of the community  ... just saying.

As for Yumi, I remember she was in the shit with people a few years ago for suggesting some soldier wasn't smart because he was good looking.

Oh right. My news comes sporadically from the odd hard copy and ABC news site and here really ... so Yumi's talent had managed to pass me by till now.

Also I don't think anyone really chooses to take something a certain way.

Sure they do.

It'd be nice if people took more time to ask questions and better understand a position rather than just jumping on people. I guess the TV world doesnt allow for that in this sort of format. 

Yep but it will never happen. Not even with people who appear to have spent time learning to be critical in their thought process. The tendency is to jump on what was known to be true without bothering to give it a fresh look.

imo 🙂

54 minutes ago, eveln said:

And while you're attempting ( cos that is what is happening and taking years ) the " easier issue " the real storm does it's lifelong damage that undermines the strength and wellbeing of the community  ... just saying.

But that is only an issue if people aren't thinking about anything else. And like Leo said, it really only comes to the fore around Australia day then most of the rest of the year it becomes less of an issue

55 minutes ago, eveln said:

Sure they do.

Maybe one day I'll feel awake and inspired enough to get into why I don't think you are correct. I think it will be fun and interesting.

55 minutes ago, eveln said:

Yep but it will never happen. Not even with people who appear to have spent time learning to be critical in their thought process. The tendency is to jump on what was known to be true without bothering to give it a fresh look.

imo 🙂

I know. Well at least in my life time.
In some ways I think people are learning to be less straight out abusive in the online world and maybe even listening a little more and in other ways I think it is myself and my friends getting older and not listening to the young people as much having their brash and horrible to each other.

2 hours ago, Leonid said:

okay, my mistake. i was aware of that article, but to be fair, when you mischaracterised the results by saying "more than 70% of Australians don't want to change it" when actually "54% were opposed", i naturally thought you were referring to this instead:

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_5989801541001

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fliptopia said:
1 hour ago, eveln said:

But that is only an issue if people aren't thinking about anything else. And like Leo said, it really only comes to the fore around Australia day then most of the rest of the year it becomes less of an issue

hmmm ... I recall some people in Victoria making waves about it maybe six months ago ... various councils wanted to do their own thing re citizenship >Aussie day ...

1 hour ago, eveln said:

Sure they do.

Maybe one day I'll feel awake and inspired enough to get into why I don't think you are correct. I think it will be fun and interesting.

Crikey but do I know the feeling :(  ... mind you I've spent the latter part of the day breathing in floor varnish or something .

1 hour ago, eveln said:

imo 🙂

I know. Well at least in my life time.
In some ways I think people are learning to be less straight out abusive in the online world and maybe even listening a little more and in other ways I think it is myself and my friends getting older and not listening to the young people as much having their brash and horrible to each other. 

Yeah but we've got to pay some attention to the latest out of the mouths of the babes ... cos they will be putting us in our rest homes till we be dead and buried ;)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

okay, my mistake. i was aware of that article, but to be fair, when you mischaracterised the results by saying "more than 70% of Australians don't want to change it" when actually "54% were opposed", i naturally thought you were referring to this instead:

https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_5989801541001

Read a few paragraphs down that article 🙂

Despite concerns expressed by Indigenous people about Australia Day falling on 26 January, a clear majority, 70%, believe everyone can celebrate on that day and 18% think everyone cannot.

At the very least shows that a vast majority of Aussies have no particular problem with the 26th

Edited by Leonid

Yumi is an ABC employee, fwiw.

My arguments against the current date of Australia Day tend to avoid Aboriginal issues with the date, because I think there are other issues that are strong enough to stand on their own with the date.

10 minutes ago, Nich... said:

My arguments against the current date of Australia Day tend to avoid Aboriginal issues with the date, because I think there are other issues that are strong enough to stand on their own with the date.

If you separate out the aboriginal issue, do we really think the date of the SECOND settlement is the one we want for a national holiday?

• Like 1

my aboriginal friend is saying those offended should stop being so ridiculous

I'm all for beer and snags and getting on with it!

Edited by RenascentMisanthropy
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Leonid said:

If you separate out the aboriginal issue, do we really think the date of the SECOND settlement is the one we want for a national holiday?

Second settlement? They found a new place to stay on the 25th and weren't properly settled til early Feb but the 26th? It's the date the flag was raised and thland claimed for George. 

8 hours ago, Nich... said:

Yumi Tasma Stynes is an Australian television and radio presenter and author. She is the co-host of KIIS FM's 3PM Pick-Up radio show and presenter of ABC Radio podcast on female health and sexuality, "Ladies, We Need to Talk". Wikipedia "

Yes yes now I know the face . Adverts for that show zip by me on my iView.

Look what the fucking cat dragged in. 

Nobody is ever going to agree on anything...so why bother trying to change the date?

So some social justice warriors like Kimmo can wet their pants? Will Kimmo actually ejaculate into his own mouth if the flag gets changed, too?

No, he's too busy guzzling his own cum to actually consider that it doesn't really matter what date Australia Day is. It could be set as December 25th and Kimmo's army will still complain to each other about it in the Centerlink queue.

Kimmo - why are you outraging for the sake of outraging?

Don't get me wrong- I think the whole Kevin 07 apology was a farce..

Why apologise anyway?

Do Germans apologise for Hitler and then change the date?

Do Yanks apologies to Japs for Hiroshima and then change the date?
Do Japs apologise for Pearl Harbour and then change the date?

HOW LONG DO YOU WANT TO APOLOGISE FOR? FOREVER?

Apologies mean Fuck.All when we are talking about generations who do not even exist now.

What's the right thing to do or say?
Well...you say thank you.

Thank you for what we all have.
Thank you for sharing this land with us. We appreciate it. High five brothers and sisters.

That means a hell of a lot more than a pathetic and meaningless apology.

Because as far as I am concerned, we are all humans. Give thanks, be fucking grateful and just live out or lives without complaining about dribble.

Begging is disgusting. Being grateful means the world. 

Kimmo, don't be a beggar, be forever grateful.

I take it you are unemployed again, Kimmo? Got nothing better to do with your existence?

• Thanks 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

So we should always bow to the will of those who don't want to change because disagreement is hard? Nice.

No ^^  we should just be ready to have differing views to others is all

5 minutes ago, eveln said:

No ^^  we should just be ready to have differing views to others is all

I agree 🙂

2 hours ago, twinair said:

Look what the fucking cat dragged in. 

Nobody is ever going to agree on anything...so why bother trying to change the date?

So some social justice warriors like Kimmo can wet their pants? Will Kimmo actually ejaculate into his own mouth if the flag gets changed, too?

No, he's too busy guzzling his own cum to actually consider that it doesn't really matter what date Australia Day is. It could be set as December 25th and Kimmo's army will still complain to each other about it in the Centerlink queue.

Kimmo - why are you outraging for the sake of outraging?

Don't get me wrong- I think the whole Kevin 07 apology was a farce..

Why apologise anyway?

Do Germans apologise for Hitler and then change the date?

Do Yanks apologies to Japs for Hiroshima and then change the date?
Do Japs apologise for Pearl Harbour and then change the date?

HOW LONG DO YOU WANT TO APOLOGISE FOR? FOREVER?

Apologies mean Fuck.All when we are talking about generations who do not even exist now.

What's the right thing to do or say?
Well...you say thank you.

Thank you for what we all have.
Thank you for sharing this land with us. We appreciate it. High five brothers and sisters.

That means a hell of a lot more than a pathetic and meaningless apology.
Because as far as I am concerned, we are all humans. Give thanks, be fucking grateful and just live out or lives without complaining about dribble.

Begging is disgusting. Being grateful means the world. 

Kimmo, don't be a beggar, be forever grateful.

I take it you are unemployed again, Kimmo? Got nothing better to do with your existence?

okay, so your 2c is you disagree with a date change, with a bonus $2 side dish of weirdly sexualised Kimmo hate thrown in.  

that aside, your comparisons are weak.  Japan vs America was a war with atrocities committed on both sides.  as for Hitler, if youre referring to the holocaust, that was genocide (a little different).  reparations have been paid, and apologies have been made (eg. Johaness Rau asking for forgiveness for Germany when addressing Israel's Knessit in 2000).   as for the date, the Day of German Unity celebrates the formal completion of their reunification in 1990.  i am willing to bet its not coincidentally the anniversary of the first Nuremberg rally, so maybe nobody has had cause to appeal for a change?

"Apologies mean Fuck. All when we are talking about generations who do not even exist now."

who now?  according to Wiki, "Official government estimates are that in certain regions between one in ten and one in three indigenous Australian children were forcibly taken from their families and communities between 1910 and 1970. "  so yeah, aaaaaaages ago.  or maybe these people are still walking around and its still a fresh wound.

you talk of being "grateful".   that would be showing the courtesy of listening to our original peoples, and if this date is a thorn in their sides, doing them a kindness.  ie. it ain't no thing - high five brothers and sisters!

"...among Aboriginal Australians and people from the Torres Strait Islands, less than a quarter (23%) felt positive about Australia Day...Asked about whether the date of Australia Day should change, 54% of Indigenous Australians polled were in favour of a change" link

so those poll numbers arent overwhelming, but they are what matter most to me personally.  if the number on the ground is much higher, as i suspect it might be, then it will be shown in time and change will come in due course.

after all, according to you, we are all human.  and that really is the point.  "we" are not white europeans anymore, "we" are everyone.  so WE have no particular reason to put disproportionate importance on a date only unambiguously positive to white europeans, because in this case we actually are "talking about generations who do not even exist now" and no longer represent this nation.

but talk of a change so small, that might go some way in healing divisions while costing the country practically nothing, seems to threaten you in some way.  so, with your back up against the wall over this potential crime against humanity, youve donned your Australian Flag cape and come to save us all, presumably after huffing some industrial solvents.

saying "yeah...nah, fuck yas"  —  that would be the ungrateful option.

• Thanks 1

Fwoar, who farted? Someone either needs to see a doctor, or just stop shoving dead rats up their arse!

It's enough to make your eyes water, and your list of ignored users to grow without reading past the first line. 

What a fucken stank