Sign in to follow this  
Kimmo

Happy Invasion Day

Eh,

I sort of wonder why we bother, no one I know takes much notice any more beyond it being a long weekend just after Christmas/New Year that pretty much buggers up workflow from Christmas Eve to February in many industries.

I did think the lamb ad this year was amusing though 🙂

Cheers

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

Actually Australia day should be Federation day for me.

IKR? But January 1st... March 8th is a good proposal. 

I read that we're the only nation to celebrate the date of colonisation. It's pretty rank in this day and age. 

The folks saying fuck the date, change the country have a point - we should probably stop treating indigenous folks like shit before claiming we can all celebrate together. 

9 minutes ago, chrisg said:

no one I know takes much notice any more beyond it being a long weekend

It's redneck Christmas and white supremacist festivus - a great little culture war sideshow to stoke in order to keep folks' minds off what a pathetic excuse for a government we have in the lead-up to the election. 

• Like 2

And thank fuck for that !!

Oh. I thought you were talking about Aussie atomic up and running from Pommy -land ... cos you know we have about a zillion mm of water coming down on us just now so sitting at my lappy is about the driest place for me this weekend

All Aussie Day ceremonies have been cancelled up here due to the fact that even thongs be dangerous footwear today.

11 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

The folks saying fuck the date, change the country have a point - we should probably stop treating indigenous most folks like shit before claiming we can all celebrate together. 

FTFY... but it will never happen.  Sure efforts are being made and generally we deal better but people are still turds regardless of origin. Also it's the right of the winner to make the new rules in' it ? Always has been, since history first records us.

I'm glad it's a long weekend, I think our work washing will need the extra day for drying time ... even then it's a debatable fact 😉

Edited by eveln
bolded bit

12 minutes ago, eveln said:

Also it's the right of the winner to make the new rules in' it ? 

Historically, yeah. But there was this thing called the Enlightenment that looked like it was going somewhere for a couple of centuries...

Which is a bummer, cause I was looking forward to civilisation becoming, you know, civilised

Both camps are 100% wrong.

Jan 26th is NOT Invasion Day. It’s the anniversary of the SECOND landing. The first was a week earlier.

But, whatever the case may be, it represents nothing but settlement. There are plenty of other dates to choose from.

Lets not choose the one that indigenous people feel is akin to rubbing salt in their wounds.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kimmo said:
19 minutes ago, eveln said:

Also it's the right of the winner to make the new rules in' it ? 

Historically, yeah. But there was this thing called the Enlightenment that looked like it was going somewhere for a couple of centuries...

Which is a bummer, cause I was looking forward to civilisation becoming, you know, civilised

not gonna truly happen till we stop willingly hurt, and make excuses for willingly allowing others to hurt our offspring.

1 hour ago, Leonid said:

Lets not choose the one that indigenous people feel is akin to rubbing salt in their wounds.

it wont matter which alternative date is put forward, it will be seen as a celebration of white invaders

8 minutes ago, TheManFromPOST said:

it wont matter which alternative date is put forward, it will be seen as a celebration of white invaders

Yeah but there are defensible dates. The Aborigines were invaded by the English, not by Australians.

The first whites to live here were here against their will.

So something Australian like Federation of the 1980s legal separation from the UK... will fly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Actually Australia day should be Federation day for me.

Agreed. As the date of Federation I think that's pretty much the perfect day to celebrate who we are as a country.

If people are worried about losing a public holiday, I wouldn't be opposed to making the next day the one people get off, like Australia Day on a weekend.

• Like 1

hmm....i think i have been in the country for every australia day in my life.

but i dont think i have ever ventured outside HAHA 

it should be changed to whatever day is agreeable to everyone — and by "everyone" i mean, at the very least, a majority of indigenous peoples.

other than that, i want it to provide a day off, so Jan 1 is out.

• Like 1

On 26/01/2019 at 11:26 AM, Kimmo said:

IKR? But January 1st...

But what about it?

The gaping chasm is between early June and early October (given that the majority have that Monday as Labor Day)

But the local govt here won't support that timeframe because it's cold season which means mass exodus to the coast and a whack to the local economy.

May 8th has it's certain "cuteness" but is somewhat lame and would be an international laughing point.  And it's too close to Easter, Anzac Day and the Queen's Birthday holiday.
Though that's not her real birthday anyway and the only valid reason was that fireworks were "safe" in the first weeks of winter vs the older tradition of Guy Fawkes Night in November (I seem to remember "cracker night" moving dates sometime in the early 70s).

IMO leave it the frig alone but if it has to be moved then make it somewhere from early July to early September.

I enjoy the day off for all public holidays in QLD.I reckon it would be a blast to make Aussie day Jan 2nd ... get Xmas. NYE then NYD then Aus. Day binge fest over and done with in one foul swoop.  families have a bit more time to re-group for the year ahead.

• Like 1

People conflate the date with the day.   Australia Day is a day to celebrate Australia.  26th Jan is just a date.  The Queen's Birthday celebration isn't even on her birthdate FFS.  Changing the date should be no big deal, especially since it wasn't even officially 2th Jan until a decade or two ago.

But, just like the officially apology, changing the date will probably end there as a means to improving the lives of the aboriginal people.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Nich... said:

But what about it?

January 1st is my birthday, it's already awesome 😄😛 

If commemorating the date of Federation (which, to my mind, always made sense) is too busy because it's already my birthday (oh, and New Year's, whatevs), then the date that kick-started the process of Federation - October 24th - has always seemed like a valid alternative to me (the date that Sir Henry Parkes made his speech in Tenterfield calling for Federation). March 8 seems another intelligent alternative to me as well. 
I've never been particularly attached to the date of Jan 26th, my family just treated it as another public holiday much like the Queen's Birthday. We never do anything for ol' Queeny's birthday, it's just a day off. So I've never been particularly bothered by talk of moving Australia Day. Go ahead, I don't mind one way or another,; as Leonid said, plenty of other dates to choose from. Gotta get a public holiday out of it, though! That's the Australian way 😛

But I also agree that faffing about with symbolism without actually doing anything behind it isn't going to achieve a great deal for disadvantaged groups, either. I'd love everyone to come to the table to work on significant issues. I might be reaching for the sky a bit there, though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Maybe the date we finally change it should be the date we change it to. The date we decide as a nation to make Australia day all inclusive. 

• Like 1

Jan 1st... it'd be totally lost in the noise of Chrismas/NYE.  Nobody would want to do much, and in any case plenty aren't home at the time.

• Like 1

Didn't get a chance yet to read the article thoroughly, but today's Australian had a piece about Kerry-Anne Kennerley being called a racist cos she was more concerned about the Aboriginal women and young girls being raped out in the communities, and that perhaps there were more important things for the people to be worried about than a date on a Calendar.

Edited by eveln

15 minutes ago, eveln said:

Didn't get a chance yet to read the article thoroughly, but today's Australian had a piece about Kerry-Anne Kennerley being called a racist cos she was more concerned about the Aboriginal women and young girls being raped out in the communities, and that perhaps there were more important things for the people to be worried about than a date on a Calendar.

Being concerned about issues like that isn't racist but I find it frustrating when people say "leave problem a alone because problem b is bigger" when both things can be fixed and problem b has a seemingly simple deflection. 

It does come across a bit racist because it sounds like she's saying we shouldn't worry about whether the day offends Aboriginal people because in some areas they treat each other poorly, rather than just talking about the treating each other poorly as a separate issue. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Jan 1st... it'd be totally lost in the noise of Chrismas/NYE.  Nobody would want to do much

Why is that a problem?