Sign in to follow this  
DEVERE

Coffee... Bacon... COFFEE BACON!

So many of you know my husband and I own and run a Butcher shop in Esperance WA and we are becoming well known not only in our region but statewide for our crazy combinations and small goods.  We got an amazing write up in the Kalgoorlie Miner over the weekend.

8njwtaR.jpg

So anyway last week I created myself a monster - but its delicious in every single way!  I present to you Coffee Bacon!

ejtTcuB.jpgfglECo6.jpgiN6ahoc.jpgi6VCzP2.jpg

For those coffee and bacon lovers who have the time, inclination and equipment to give this a crack:

Dry Cured Coffee Infused Bacon

INGREDIENTS:

2.5kg Boneless Pork Loin / Belly

1/2 cup sea salt (NOT refined salt)

1/2 cup Muscavado Sugar

1 Tbspn Ground Black pepper

4 Tbspn Ground Coffee

Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl until uniformly combined

Stab the living shit out of the pork skin to allow the cure to penetrate into the meat

Place the pork into a tray / tub and rub the dry ingredients in HARD ensuring everything is coated.

Any left over dry mix can be poured over the meat and pressed around to give a good coating.

Vacuum packing works best - but if you don’t have one available, put the meat in a PLASTIC container and cover in the fridge.  Turning every day for 5 - 7 days.

Once the meat is firm to touch - remove from fridge, rinse off the coating, set on a rack or hang to dry for 24 hours.

This step is called “green bacon” and is ready for smoking & cooking.  I use two 45 minute cold smoke cycles at 60C - apple or cherry wood works great and then slow roast until internal temperature reaches 68 degrees for about 4 hours…. (I have a professional smoking oven with a temperature probe)

Cool and then refrigerate overnight (this sets the texture and flavour) and then slice and enjoy - this should keep for about 7 days in the fridge (or up to 5 weeks if you have access to a vacuum packer) or several months in the freezer.

The ground coffee can be substituted for Chilli, Maple or really any other flavouring you would like to experiment with.

So - my question would be - what weird and wonderful combinations have you created?

• Like 2
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

🙂

Myself and my BBQ mates have played with coffee as a rub Dev, works pretty damned well, not sure anyone has tried sort of infusing it into bacon though, will have to let them know. Or I can give you the site URL and you can come give it to them yourself 🙂

Cheers

The future is here now!

Image result for caffeinated bacon futurama

But from the recipe that sounds awesome - I prefer the more savoury ham and bacon to the sweet/honey styles, so I'm assuming the coffee would be good like that. Although I'm not sure I have the confidence to try making it myself, without a smoker - it's likely i'd under do it, or dry it out.

• Like 1

🙂

A smoker is great for the production Dev is into, at home, a kettle should be fine.

The coffee really does not leave any coffee taste at all, but it adds amazing depth 🙂

Cheers

6 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

* waits for rabid Vegans to attack *

I’m dipping the bullets in coffee bacon as we speak.

Let them come.

• Like 1

Looks interesting, I'd be right into it except my breakfast is typically coffee and nothing else.  Though nothing wrong with having it for din-dins I guess.

15 hours ago, chrisg said:

🙂

A smoker is great for the production Dev is into, at home, a kettle should be fine.

The coffee really does not leave any coffee taste at all, but it adds amazing depth 🙂

Cheers

Mine actually does leave an amazing subtle coffee hint - Maple Bacon going in to cure today.  Done it before, but I'm doing the dry cure method this time instead of pumping it with nitrates.

14 hours ago, chrisg said:

😉 A Pershing solution Leo ?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/general-pershing-stop-islamic-terrorists/

Didn't exist, let alone work.

This is a cooking thread 🙂

Cheers

Yeah it is kind of a cooking thread lol - don't ask me where my brain farts come from, but our newest sausage (the Mac & Cheese) is swiftly joining our other weird ones - Bacon Double Cheeseburger, Bush Chook (the beer not the bird), the Cheese & Vegemite we've been doing for 8 years - we've even done a corned brisket & red cabbage snag and a Blazing Saddles (think the movie and you'll understand haha - for those not old enough to remember... think chilli & beans.

Home smokers work fine - a few friends of ours smoke their own hams & bacons etc at home - we also have an offset smoker from Bunnings at home which works fine as long as you have the time to keep an eye on it - the temps are a bit difficult to regulate until you've had some practise with them.

Cheers!

44 minutes ago, fredzfrog said:

Hmm.. There doesnt seem to be anything on Ausposts site against Mailing Bacon.. 😄

Whats it going to cost me @DEVERE? ❤️

Interesting!  It's not something I'd looked in to haha. Although - it IS supposed to stay refrigerated which could be the kicker.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, DEVERE said:

Interesting!  It's not something I'd looked in to haha. Although - it IS supposed to stay refrigerated which could be the kicker.

Well that kills the idea of mailing to Darwin LOL

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, DEVERE said:

hmm, 2-5 days.. Dry ice might not last that long 😞

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, fredzfrog said:

Yeah... nah mate!  😂

The best I could do would be to get it a car fridge lift to Perth...

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, fredzfrog said:

yeah, plus i dont think it would be trivial to send Dry Ice through the post haha. 

hmm...but if it was dropped straight from the smoker into crapload of fine salt and then vacuum packed, i'd probably eat it after a month at room temp! 🙂

1 hour ago, DEVERE said:

The best I could do would be to get it a car fridge lift to Perth...

Ooooh... that'd cost a bit.

1 hour ago, SceptreCore said:

Ooooh... that'd cost a bit.

Not if I know the person going up and they happen to frequently travel with a car fridge 😉😉 or just a local truckie mate haha

10 minutes ago, DEVERE said:

Not if I know the person going up and they happen to frequently travel with a car fridge 😉😉 or just a local truckie mate haha

Do any of them stop in Bunbury?

On 1/29/2019 at 12:43 PM, Jeruselem said:

* waits for rabid Vegans to attack *

Nah, I'm far too lazy for that. Do what ye will 🙂
It sounds interesting, although I'm not a fan of coffee so even when I did eat meat, it may have caused me to give it the sideways eye. My uncle was a butcher so even though I know nothing about the trade, I do commend your interesting approach, DEVERE! 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fredzfrog said:

Hmm.. There doesnt seem to be anything on Ausposts site against Mailing Bacon.. 😄

Whats it going to cost me @DEVERE? ❤️

Buy a plane or bus ticket .Visit the stunningly glorious beaches and enjoy the bacon fresh !!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, eveln said:

Buy a plane or bus ticket .Visit the stunningly glorious beaches and enjoy the bacon fresh !!

🙂

Rather expensive, return air fare just the Perth/ Esperance leg is about  $300.

Air travel within W.A. has always been rather expensive.

Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, chrisg said:

🙂

Rather expensive, return air fare just the Perth/ Esperance leg is about  $300.

Air travel within W.A. has always been rather expensive.

Cheers

Are you doubting the bacon or the beach !?!!!

• Haha 2