Sign in to follow this  
DEVERE

Coffee... Bacon... COFFEE BACON!

1 hour ago, eveln said:

Are you doubting the bacon or the beach !?!!

He's saying... that's a lot of bacon... for that amount of bacon

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, SceptreCore said:
1 hour ago, eveln said:

Are you doubting the bacon or the beach !?!!

He's saying... that's a lot of bacon... for that amount of bacon

but but it's bacon !

• Like 1

🙂

Neither, I like Esperance  a lot and Dev is good people but it's not the easiest place to visit from the East.

Cheers

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, SceptreCore said:

Do any of them stop in Bunbury?

Quite possibly - my dad lives there and I'd like to try to get up to see him before winter sets in....  keep in touch.

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

🙂

Neither, I like Esperance  a lot and Dev is good people but it's not the easiest place to visit from the East.

Cheers

Yeah cost of flights to Esperance are astronomically ridiculous... that's why I drive lol.  $170 of diesel will get me to Perth and 1/4 way back lol.

Oh and the beaches (and bacon) are totally worth it 😁😁

Edited by DEVERE
typo

2 hours ago, DEVERE said:

Oh and the beaches (and bacon) are totally worth it

Agree with you on the beaches, stunning, but jeezuz the water is as cold as.

• Haha 1

Nice beaches there! We just have extra  crocodiles, box jelly fish to worry about the beaches here

6 hours ago, chrisg said:

Neither

Dude... why you do me like that?

5 hours ago, DEVERE said:

my dad lives there and I'd like to try to get up to see him before winter sets in....  keep in touch.

Alrighty... I will do. If you do come up to visit your dad, I'll buy a kilo of your coffee bacon thanks. 🙂 

Maybe a little selfie too like a very mini atomic m33t. 😄 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fredzfrog said:

Wharton's or Lucky Bay are WAY better than 10 mile lol.

39 minutes ago, SceptreCore said:

Dude... why you do me like that?

Alrighty... I will do. If you do come up to visit your dad, I'll buy a kilo of your coffee bacon thanks. 🙂 

Maybe a little selfie too like a very mini atomic m33t. 😄 

Too easy!  

1 hour ago, Jeruselem said:

Nice beaches there! We just have extra  crocodiles, box jelly fish to worry about the beaches here

Mahoosive Great Whites (ie 5m +), influx of Blue Ringed Occy.. oh and the Tiger snakes seem to love our coast too lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

🙂

Legend has it, or did when I lived there, that there has never been a shark attack in Darwin, too many fish for them to eat.

Salt water crocs though, probably more now, used to see them when we went water skiing over in Woods Inlet.

Then there's Sea Wasps. or Box Jellyfish. Not too often seen in the dry season, plenty around in the wet.

The more determined water skiers in particular "suit up" in women's tights-apparently the jellyfish sting can't get though those.

Never even saw a jelly fish when I was there but my receptionist did get stung by one - neutralises quickly with alcohol, plenty of that in Darwin, or meths if no booze to hand. She had a bit of a scar on her chest for a bit.

Sharks you don't see much really but had one ski back with us one time, we thought, turned out to be a dolphin  🙂

Then there is the Mandorah Monster, supposedly a very large ray that hung around near the Mandorah pub. We thought we saw it once, big sort of eruption in the water - could have been the beer  🙂

The pub sadly is long gone.

Cheers

4 minutes ago, chrisg said:

or meths if no booze to hand

I believe that can be found in the same fridge as the booze in NT. 😄 

3 hours ago, SceptreCore said:

I believe that can be found in the same fridge as the booze in NT.

Only spent a few months living in Darwin, and not recently. But metho was available on the cleaning isle of the supermarket without any issue. It wasn't till I came all the way up here in Far Nth QLd. That I had the experience of having to ask at the service counter in one supermarket if I required a bottle of metho ... in the other supermarket, they did stock it on the shelves for ease, but it was purple metho << both experiences were new and quite novel to me

Yeah that seems to vary so much by state.

I was somewhere here in S.A. yesterday and there was Diggers meth sitting right on the shelf, might have been at a pharmacy, not sure if that makes a difference.

In W.A. you can feel like some meth-head just asking for the stuff...

Cheers

I don't like coffee or bacon, but I do like your newspaper article 😄

There was a sign on the McDonald's drive thru speaker stating "Add Bacon - $1". I considered adding bacon to the diet coke I ordered, just to be a smart-arse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Hmmmm.  Got me very tempted.  I love making bacon.  (Not like that.  Well.  Yeah like that too.  But not in public).  

For those people that want a smoker:  An easy way to 'hot smoke' (do small batches if you do this, it doesn't keep long) is to get a foil tray (You know those ones you can get from the shops that are about 4" x 6")  

Get wood dust from a fishing shop.  Get dust (it looks like sawdust) not chips or pellets!  Chips are too big and this won't work well.  

Put a fistful of that in the tray.

On your bbq, light ONE burner only on the far side over a grill for preference.  Set it on high and keep it there til the dust starts smoking, drop the heat down to low flame (you may need to tweak it higher, but start low and work upwards).  

Put green bacon onto a cake rack on the other side of the bbq.  As far from flame as possible.

Close the lid on the bbq.  

Do a hot smoke.  

Have a meat thermometer and hot smoke until the core temp of bacon reaches 65C.

If smoke starts to run out, throw another fistful of dust in the tray.  

It'll take about an hour for 500gm->1kg (around.  Depends on bbq)

I now have a vertical smoker, so this is kinda moot for me.  But it's how I started with making bacon.  

And very important tips:

1)  Do *NOT* use iodized salt for your rub/cure.  It will leave a feral taste in cured meats.

2)  Refrigeration is important.  Temperatures are critical.  If you don't do it right, you can create botulism flavoured pork.  Don't mess around if you're not going to be serious about hygiene.

/waves at Devere!  Love the recipe.  Going to give it a go methinks.  Maybe in another 2 or 3 weeks.  

AD

Edited by AccessDenied

On 2/1/2019 at 3:05 PM, AccessDenied said:

Hmmmm.  Got me very tempted.  I love making bacon.  (Not like that.  Well.  Yeah like that too.  But not in public).  

And very important tips:

1)  Do *NOT* use iodized salt for your rub/cure.  It will leave a feral taste in cured meats.

2)  Refrigeration is important.  Temperatures are critical.  If you don't do it right, you can create botulism flavoured pork.  Don't mess around if you're not going to be serious about hygiene.

/waves at Devere!  Love the recipe.  Going to give it a go methinks.  Maybe in another 2 or 3 weeks.  

AD

You're spot on there!!  

Any small goods need to be cared for very carefully - we make a lot of Salumi / Charcuterie (ie French Saucisson Sec, Cacciatore and looking to expand our other small goods this year with Coppa, Lomo Di Cerdo, Rossoi Di Pepe, Pastrami, Chorizo, Pancetta Arrotolata etc... a lot of which do require 200 days hanging so pH levels, air flow, humidity levels, temperature and water activity are of absolute importance... because killing someone looks REALLY bad on your resumé.

I actually sold out of my first batch of the Coffee Bacon within 2 days (🤪)

Fresh batch of both Coffee and Maple rinsed and hanging in fridge ready for smoking tomorrow and to mix things up I've done a chilli batch.

Let me know how you go.

Edited by DEVERE
  • Like 1

I'm definitely going to give Coffee Bacon a go (My wife may not be so keen as she doesn't like coffee).  

Have to ask Devere..  Many books by Ruhlman on your bookshelf?  I've got 2.  😄  

Also as an aside.  Saw your signature.  And damn..  That was so temptingly close to what I could read.  (I'm learning Irish.  Your signature is Scottish.  So close.  It makes me think about how much trade there must have been for so many similarities in language yet their own differences)

Dave

Can't go drying meats where I am, you just end up with nice layer of ... mould ...

You have a fridge?  You can dry meat.  
It just requires more effort.  
For example, my technique which I'll keep vague because I don't have my recipe book in front of me to give exact measurements.  
Mix sodium nitrate, salt (pure, non-iodized) and brown sugar in appropriate ratios.  

Get rindless pork belly and rub mixture onto it

Seal in bag (vacuum is best, but I use a double zip-lock freezer bag.  Submerge in water to squeeze out most of air and then seal, whilst being careful not to get water inside the bag)

Massage the bag thoroughly.  Put in fridge.

Every day, take bag out, massage rub into pork belly and turn over.

Do for 5 days or so (depending on thickness of porkbelly)

Remove from bag.  

Wash THOROUGHLY with clean running water.

Pat dry.

Put in fridge again overnight.

Cold smoke.

Slice

Take portions you will use in short-term and put in fridge and put rest in freezer, slices separated by baking paper.  

Local temperature/humidity has little input.  

If you have to hotsmoke, then slice it all up, and don't freeze, but share it around with your mates.  Put in fridge and eat within  4 - 5 days.

AD

On 2/1/2019 at 4:18 PM, SacrificialNewt said:

I don't like coffee or bacon

Can not compute...

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, AccessDenied said:

I'm definitely going to give Coffee Bacon a go (My wife may not be so keen as she doesn't like coffee).  

Have to ask Devere..  Many books by Ruhlman on your bookshelf?  I've got 2.  😄  

Also as an aside.  Saw your signature.  And damn..  That was so temptingly close to what I could read.  (I'm learning Irish.  Your signature is Scottish.  So close.  It makes me think about how much trade there must have been for so many similarities in language yet their own differences)

Dave

Ruhlman?   Hmmm just the one at the moment but I have my local bookstore ordering me a few books at a time on Charcuterie / Salumi.

As for my signature - it roughly translates to:

Remember the people from whom you came.

Clan Scot is free at the end,

If there is no breach about the time,

Where can the Lia-Fail (Stone of Destiny)

Take a crown of sovereignty.

I see AD's method uses salt to effectively dry out the pork belly. I guess that's an ages old method of drying out anything.