Sign in to follow this  
Kimmo

Encroaching dystopia

I've always found this to be a good summary of our planet and the wonderful little cyberpunk future we have right now 😄

cyberpunk.PNG.0a623e40a83fdeaa7cb5a5c676cb7e22.PNG

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

my "new" credit card is entirely haphazard wrt "touch and pay"

on numerous occasions the shop person will try instead, despite me proclaiming that the chip is iffy  (often after snatching it from me in frustration that an obviously senior citizen is incapable of grokking this modern technology)

and then it won't work for them either

the weird thing is that on some devices it can't wait to spend money

i believe there is a ghost in the machine ... or the chip is faulty

3 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

(often after snatching it from me in frustration that an obviously senior citizen is incapable of grokking this modern technology) 

Don't worry, some shop people just think they are eftpos gods. Happens to me too. 

🙂

The interesting ones are the girls who give the card a wipe down their cleavage... Kid you not  🙂

I just wish there was some standardisation on where the card sensor is. The obvious ones are tap on the screen but I've seen them above the screen, on either side, at the bottom - waiting for one that has to be turned over, which might improve security - if that is needed, the specification for the system says not - right...

Cheers

The whole "tap" thing is a bit ridiculous anyway.  I put some NFC software on my old Nexus 7 and it's all about near proximity.  Generally where the LCD panel covers most of the area to tap, you should put the chip near it's icon.

it's easier to find a fast food outlet than a public toilet these days

You can just walk in, walk out, no questions asked and the amenities are a bit nicer than what you'll find in a public toilet block.

Edited by RenascentMisanthropy

Yep.  Just walk into the golden arches and have a McLeak with lies.

Depends, those joints are pretty sparse in the richest suburbs; you only get maybe a couple of 7-elevens in a pretty big radius. 

At any rate, it's probably a mistake to walk in without the dunny roll I keep in the van. 

So many drones. They'll get smaller and quieter too. And anyone can buy one. 

Edited by fliptopia

1 hour ago, fliptopia said:

So many drones. They'll get smaller and quieter too. And anyone can buy one. 

here's some of mine; the "biggest" in the picture spans 10cm  🙂

a10722124-160-IMG_2399.JPG

On 1/31/2019 at 11:00 AM, scruffy1 said:

my "new" credit card is entirely haphazard wrt "touch and pay"

on numerous occasions the shop person will try instead, despite me proclaiming that the chip is iffy  (often after snatching it from me in frustration that an obviously senior citizen is incapable of grokking this modern technology)

and then it won't work for them either

the weird thing is that on some devices it can't wait to spend money

i believe there is a ghost in the machine ... or the chip is faulty

This is gonna sound silly, but give it a shot.  

Next time it's acting iffy, try holding the card by the edges and hold it towards the scanner.  Don't touch anything but the edges.   

Reason:  Cards often work off a loop of copper.  Sometimes they're really crap and just your body (thumb/finger) in the way is enough to interrupt the signal.  

Sometimes it's just purely because the coil windings are so shit that they can't form a good circuit and some readers are just good enough to pick up a shit signal (in which case, get a new card)

But seriously.  Try holding card by edges and see if it makes a difference next time.  Remove your skin and body from the antenna circuit.

AD

• Like 1

Just now, fliptopia said:

Really? Why not?

Because I'm not a fan of hepatitis, ebola, tuberculosis or viral meningitis.

3 minutes ago, twinair said:

Me either, where do you buses and trains go?

Just now, fliptopia said:

Me either, where do you buses and trains go?

No idea, I don't ride on them.

I have a car, a motorbike and legs.

There's a poisonous sort of douchery which holds that public sector services should be festy and dilapidated, because the undeserving poor should be second-class class citizens. 

I'm kinda stumped as to how anyone holding such views manages to convince themselves they're not a complete arsehole... but maybe not being an arsehole just isn't a consideration for such folks? 

12 minutes ago, twinair said:

No idea, I don't ride on them.

I have a car, a motorbike and legs.

I just don't know anyone who's got any of those things from public transport. Unwashed fruit from the shop is another matter the way some people handle it. I don't get to use public transport much these days but I like to let someone else so the driving for me once in a while. Outside of peak hour it's nice. Peak hour can fuck right off though.

6 minutes ago, Kimmo said:

There's a poisonous sort of douchery which holds that public sector services should be festy and dilapidated, because the undeserving poor should be second-class class citizens. 

I'm kinda stumped as to how anyone holding such views manages to convince themselves they're not a complete arsehole... but maybe not being an arsehole just isn't a consideration for such folks? 

Most people are the protagonist in their story about their life. You and I included. You battle what you believe to be the problems in the world and as I have banged on about before:  you don't get to choose what those things are.

“Marxist who claims to be light unto the people, not self-aware enough to recognise most think he’s an asshole, locals confirm”

Edited by Leonid

2 hours ago, fliptopia said:

I just don't know anyone who's got any of those things from public transport. Unwashed fruit from the shop is another matter the way some people handle it. 

You just reminded me of something that happens now and then up here in the boonies ... I say " now and then " cos the supermarket runs out and is not as prompt with refills as it could be 😉 ... I'm talking about wet wipes for the customers when they grab a trolly , I think it's a great idea when it happens 🙂 Also, re the transport thingy,  perhaps people aren't aware where they really catch that cold or stomach bug they might have. just sayin'

The other side to wet wipes everywhere, is that if we protect ourselves too much from dirt we (over time) will lessen our bodies natural immune system to the point of having to walk around in hooded suits with face masks and gloves at all times 🙂

Edited by eveln
still the last post
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Kimmo said:

I disagree.
Poor, second-class citizens should still have clean and fully functioning transport/amenities available for their grubby little fingers.

I love how you always outrage on behalf of other people.
Or are you too actually a poor, second-class citizen and speaking from experience?

3 minutes ago, twinair said:

Or are you too actually a poor, second-class citizen and speaking from experience?

I'm not rich, at all, and have very little to do with public transport cos of where I live. Going back to my school days now ... christ the horror of having to hold tight onto the rails in a bus chocka full of school kids * shudders* yukkiepoos !
trying not to think of what the cause of the stickiness of the rail as I held on for dear life

3 hours ago, twinair said:

oh dear

you and howard hughes lack coherent understanding of contagion risk

and i quite like public transport, although i am a little less keen on public toilets

but then again i had spent over 4 decades of existence working with sick people and am still alive, even with persistent lymphopaenia after chemo

7 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

although i am a little less keen on public toilets

Never thought Id say this, but the cleanest public toilets I've used in the last year or so are the ones at the Smithfield Shopping Center ( heading north past Cairns ) << I'm happy to give the name of the place as on the few times I've been there it's been a blessed relief to not squirm in horror at having to make use of them. I have to use public facilities daily in a place that is considered, by some, to be a 5Star rating ... can be a hit and miss affair on the cleanliness factor which is a real bummer.

1 hour ago, eveln said:

You just reminded me of something that happens now and then up here in the boonies ... I say " now and then " cos the supermarket runs out and is not as prompt with refills as it could be 😉 ... I'm talking about wet wipes for the customers when they grab a trolly , I think it's a great idea when it happens 🙂 Also, re the transport thingy,  perhaps people aren't aware where they really catch that cold or stomach bug they might have. just sayin'

The other side to wet wipes everywhere, is that if we protect ourselves too much from dirt we (over time) will lessen our bodies natural immune system to the point of having to walk around in hooded suits with face masks and gloves at all times 🙂

I was speaking exclusively about the diseases mentioned. But yeah, getting the odd cold here and there generally helps the immune system stay functional as you say. Other people's grotty keyboards is where I assume I get most of my illnesses. That and the kids bringing them home from school. You can't really avoid these things so I don't see the point to limiting my experience of life.

@twinair How do you get on without ever using public facilities like toilets? I always prefer the ones that auto off the tap and have no doors you have to touch to get out but that's not always practical.