Sign in to follow this  
SceptreCore

Navi Confirmed: 2019

During the earnings call, AMD CEO, Dr. Lisa Su, confirmed that Navi GPU will launch this year, with launches in Q2 2019.

AMD announced a great Q4 2018 and FY 2018 report earlier, showing that the company has started to gain ground and reap the benefits of its strong Ryzen lineup. While client GPU side of the business has been suffering, its Ryzen sales, datacenter GPU sales, as well as the strong roadmap, is showing that the company is definitely on the right track.

While it has just launched the Radeon VII, based on 7nm Vega GPU and HBM2 memory, AMD big GPU break could be the upcoming Navi GPU architecture, with promises of scalability and next-gen memory, the only thing that we got from AMD's official roadmap.

Back in October, we already wrote that AMD has 7nm Navi-based graphics card running in its lab and while it was too early to get any precise details, the rumor was that the 7nm GPU looks better than expected, whether in terms of 7nm yields or the actual performance/power is still left to be seen.

We already wrote that the upcoming 7nm Navi architecture could first target the mid-range graphics market, becoming a successor to the Polaris GPU, as that is where the bread and butter is. High-end graphics cards are great for marketing but mid-range is what mostly matters.

Replying to a question from Deutsche Bank's Ross Seymore, Lisa Su said that the company expects a Q1 2019 drop in GPU sales, but things should get better in Q2 when the company is expecting the retail channel to improve. Lisa Su was keen to note that the gaming growth in 2019 will be driven by Radeon VII but did also threw a curve ball by mentioning Navi launches on the gaming side.

Dr. Lisa Su also mentioned the softness in the high-end gaming GPU market, and if you take into the account that her answer put Radeon VII in the same basket as the Navi for 2019, this bodes well for the possibility that Navi will target the mid-range market while Radeon VII will remain the high-end offer for this year.

"We're also as we see the GPU business right now, we see the first quarter as the low point in the business with the channel getting improving as we go into the second quarter. And we have additional product launches there as well. So that's the way we would see the portfolio. And semi custom, although it's lower on a year-over-year basis, we would expect it to also increase as we go from second quarter into third quarter as well".

"I think on the gaming side from what we are seeing, we did see sell out increase in Q4 versus Q3. So gamers are still buying GPUs. They may be more discerning about price points. And so I can imagine that there might be a bit more softness at the high end versus in the mid range. But we believe that we have a good understanding of what's happening in the gaming side of the business, and it will be driven. Our gaming growth will be driven by new products. We would see that as we go through this year and with our Radeon 7 launch, as well as our Navi launches on the gaming side."

You can check out the full call transcript over at Seekingalpha.com.

Source: Fudzilla

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

AMD's new Navi graphics cards rumoured delay until October

According to the latest rumors, Navi will be unveiled in June at Computex, but won't be in gamers hands until October. This makes sense as the unveiling will have to take place after Sony and Microsoft announce and detail their respective next-gen consoles that will feature custom Zen 2 processors and custom Navi GPUs.  

An October retail launch allows AMD to build larger numbers of Navi graphics cards especially considering they'll be on 7nm and most fab time for 7nm is being chewed up incredibly quick. AMD will be using GDDR6 memory which will see AMD having many more Navi cards than Radeon VII, which are according to our exclusive story, less than 5000 units in total.  

Navi will be a successor to Polaris and should roll out with Vega like performance. We're probably going to see $399 to $599 priced cards that will replace Vega 56 and Vega 64, with far better power and thermals than Vega which is shocking, even on 7nm with Radeon VII.   As I've said before, all roads lead to Navi...

Exclusive: AMD’s 7nm Navi GPU Will Launch Roughly A Month After Ryzen 3000

Before I go into the details, I want to point out that roadmaps are whimsical things. Unlike concrete details like specifications etc., they are at the mercy of AMD’s management and may change without any intimation. The information that I am providing (as far as roadmaps go) is accurate at the time the article is published but may change in the future. Also, this is going to be a rather short piece since there is only so much you can discuss with just a launch window. With that little disclaimer, let’s get into the deets.

I have been told that AMD’s Navi GPU is at least one whole month behind AMD’s 7nm Ryzen launch, so if the company launches the 3000 series desktop processors at Computex like they are planning to, you should not expect the Navi GPU to land before early August. The most likely candidates for launch during this window are Gamescom and Siggraph. I would personally lean towards Gamescom simply because it is a gaming product and is the more likely candidate but anything can happen with AMD!

Some rumors previously had suggested an October launch, but as of now, AMD is telling its partners to expect the launch exactly a month after the Ryzen 7nm launch. Those who read my original exclusive will remember that I talked about how Navi is going to be the first non-GCN GPU and the first card to break free of the 4096 SP limit imposed by the GCN macro-architecture.

Rumors about the RX 3000 series have been swirling for a while now with some that said that the company might even launch the cards at CES early in 2019. This is something I did not include in my pre-CES AMD agenda article and that is because I had been told that yields aren’t good enough for a consumer card yet – and that is where the Radeon VII entered the stage. Now that enough time has passed for yields to improve, we could see the first batch of 7nm Navi GPUs hit the shelves before the third quarter of 2019 is up.

• Thanks 1

I think Ryzen has more priority than Navi at AMD, the GPU division come a poor second every time.

13 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

I think Ryzen has more priority than Navi at AMD, the GPU division come a poor second every time.

Ryzen is in the bag. Navi just needs work now, all they really have to worry about is getting production quantity as they have to fight other customers. 

On 3/15/2019 at 10:51 PM, SceptreCore said:

Ryzen is in the bag. Navi just needs work now, all they really have to worry about is getting production quantity as they have to fight other customers. 

I think Navi got held back because of Ryzen, 3rd generation of Ryzen is coming out by Navi is really Vega V2 (Radeon VII is nothing special)

Looks promising so far, I was hoping for better prices but maybe they will perform better at that price compared. 

Maybe, but I''m sure when they get to Australia the prices will ramped up because they think we're all rich here.

3 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

it's good news but why the stupid RX590 (aka RX580 aka RX480) and not Navi/Vega?

Why the 1650 or DLSS?