Sign in to follow this  
spyder

Netgear CG3000v2 on NBN?

About to move to NBN (HFC), I'm currently on Optus cable for internet, not has any real issues. Been using the default Netgear CG3000v2 modem/router again without issues.

The router has a WAN port, so it SHOULD be just a matter of connecting to the WAN port and configuring the router to do the PPPoE over the WAN port.

Anyone had any experiences doing this? 

Might be a bit more.  I moved ADSL2+ to NBN FTTC (dull green box down the road) June last year.

TPG - with ADSL you had your userid and password (same as email) entered into the control panel.
- with NBN it seems to just use a generic userid and password.

If you're getting a modem then it should be easy to just grab the needed settings off it.  If not then take your chances with their tech support.
And I suppose the usual applies - if you're using unsupported gear and things go south, the ISP has right there an easy exit plan from any support ticket.

It very much depends on the company you go with. Some are dynamic ip, some are pppoe, some use a generic password, some will give you a a password to set up your own modem and others will give you a modem that sets itself up. It's always a joy to set one up these days. 

OK, maybe some more clarification needed.

I work for a small business ISP, (we don't do retail/consumer connections, only for businesses).  who provision NBN through their wholesaler. I'm getting the NBN connected by the company.

It will be a static IP assigned over PPPoE, username/password will be unique. 

I'm more asking if anyone has had experience using this modem (originally for standard non-NBN internet over HFC) over the NBN HFC connection. I've checked with the guys at work, no one has seen this used on our service.

But the theory goes any modem that can do PPPoE via WAN port SHOULD work okay. Just seeing if anyone knows if it works okay.

Guess I'll just rake the "see what I see" approach. If I need a new router, so be it.

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

An update. No go on the old Optus cable modem. Despite setting it to use the WAN port only, nowhere in the UI was there to add PPPoE details. Damn locked down Optus custom firmware.

I had a plan B ready just in case, a Mikrotik router I pre-configured last night. Install went well, getting 96M down, 32M up. 

So there you go. 

• Thanks 1

That was the case with most cable modems I saw so not all that surprised. Super easy to configure when the user can't do anything to it. Glad you got a solution though. That speed should be enough for now 🙂

On 2/14/2019 at 11:02 AM, spyder said:

An update. No go on the old Optus cable modem. Despite setting it to use the WAN port only, nowhere in the UI was there to add PPPoE details. Damn locked down Optus custom firmware.

I had a plan B ready just in case, a Mikrotik router I pre-configured last night. Install went well, getting 96M down, 32M up. 

So there you go. 

Wow that's pretty good speed.