Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

Radeon VII (VEGA 20)

Very impressive results!  I might have been a bit harsh when this came out... It might be a tweakers dream card, some blocks from say EK really might open it up more.   Looks like they have progressed quite well on the tables and power.  I wonder if these will be what to expect from water or if some lottery luck. 

9 hours ago, gamble said:

Very impressive results!  I might have been a bit harsh when this came out... It might be a tweakers dream card, some blocks from say EK really might open it up more.   Looks like they have progressed quite well on the tables and power.  I wonder if these will be what to expect from water or if some lottery luck. 

Yes well pay 1200 and then add a few hundred for water cooling ... costly exercise (ignoring time spend modding the thing)

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Yes well pay 1200 and then add a few hundred for water cooling ... costly exercise (ignoring time spend modding the thing)

2080Ti costs a lot more and only scores 5% higher 34910 at stock.

I already have a loop and block that I have been using for many years so for me there would be no added cost for cooling just time.

But still $1200 is a bit rich for me sub 1k would be nice.

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Yea, the time tweaking/modding is the best part!  It is as much fun as using it for gaming and productivity to me 🙂    I probably have done more side grades than most people, as long as I can get in it for nearly even, because I want to play with something new and see how it performs..  Hell, I know for the most part how it will perform, I just want to play.  If it costs me $50 to side grade for a new card or part after owning the old part for a year and has relative close performance, its like buying a new single player campaign game lol... 

Side note, my MB died.. Pissed me off wanted it to last till the new x570 boards released... I picked up a C7H board and Im playing with ram timings since it has much better options (like built in Stilts timings in the bios)...  Ill post some results once I get everything benched/tested in the other thread we had going for ram timings.. So far all my synthetic scores are up over the Biostar, even up over when I had 1700x even thou I have 2600x now... Bios is quite good and stable

Liquid metal doesn't do much to improve cooling on the R7

14 hours ago, Dasa said:

2080Ti costs a lot more and only scores 5% higher 34910 at stock.

I already have a loop and block that I have been using for many years so for me there would be no added cost for cooling just time.

But still $1200 is a bit rich for me sub 1k would be nice.

It's 1000 card to me but in reality it's a nerfed AMD workstation card so they cannot lower the price too much.

Posted (edited)

Ordered a MSI Radeon VII $1079 from Skycomp and I was wanting to play Resident evil 2 as well so hopefully I can claim that game bundle.

But there not open on weekends so I wont know if I get allocated any of there stock or if somebody already beat me to it.

Edited by Dasa

Posted (edited)

I  think it is a fun challenge for overclockers but not without it's risks trying to get good core contact with fragile hbm in the way.

Power use overlooked can go through the roof but it looks to scale fairly well with increased juice. 

Lower temp is bringing a nice performance boost even without overclocking or much change in power use which could mean good things for non reference coolers in the future.

Edited by Dasa

28 minutes ago, Dasa said:

I  think it is a fun challenge for overclockers but not without it's risks trying to get good core contact with fragile hbm in the way.

Power use overlooked can go through the roof but it looks to scale fairly well with increased juice. 

Lower temp is bringing a nice performance boost even without overclocking or much change in power use which could mean good things for non reference coolers in the future.

Yes but... is the performance worth it?

Posted (edited)

I think it will be worth it to me but time may tell if I'm right.

Store doesn't open for a few more hours but the card is now completely removed from there website safe to say they got slammed with orders over the weekend.

Item ordered:
1 X MSI Radeon VII 16GB Video Card

I am sorry to say that we sold out our last unit yesterday afternoon (only ONE unit available).

More shipment is possibly coming on the end of March (not yet confirmed by our supplier).

Would you like to consider any other model or cancel the order ?

Please accept my deepest apology and for any inconvenience this may have caused to you.

Ah well about what I expected.

Edited by Dasa
  • Sad 1

On 3/3/2019 at 7:01 PM, Dasa said:

I think it will be worth it to me but time may tell if I'm right.

When overclocked it seems to have higher 1% and .1% lows compared with 2080 and 2080Ti. That's pretty important for those who like their refresh rates, and it's a good measure of a graphics cards' capability.

https://wccftech.com/bykski-amd-radeon-vii-waterblock-a-radeon-vii-x-launch/

14 hours ago, Dasa said:

Hmm thanks for the heads up just when I was tempted by ex mining 1080ti at about $650

Dunno about buying ex-mining cards which just get thrashed ...

Well it is in the mail.

I have never been a fan of full cover blocks.

Now I am wondering if I should lap my block so that it is slightly curved providing more pressure on the core and less over the hbm

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 2

would that put too much pressure on only one side of the hbm, it might chip the edge?  Just seems like it would be difficult to lap to have a step up over hbm.  If lapped enough, possibly a thermal pad over the hbm and normal tim on the block...  Maybe tape off the hbm portion on the block to ensure it is an even step.

Posted (edited)

Yes it would be very difficult and I probably wouldn't go so far as to have a step so the pressure on the HBM would be uneven .

The block is nickle plated and I probably wouldn't go much past taking of the thickness of the plating.

The hardest part would be holding it steady enough so that it only took of what I wanted even if I make some kind of basic guide.

Here is the pressure tests gamersnexus did

radeon-vega-mounting-pressure.jpg

I will start with stock then move to water without lapping the block and later consider lapping it if temps are not good enough.

Edited by Dasa

Makes sense the pressure points seem to be where the heat pipes are.