Sign in to follow this  
RenascentMisanthropy

just had a cool thought

Imagine if you would a cruise control system which pairs directly to your the GPS on your smartphone via an app/bluetooth.

I don't think such a thing exists with all the googling thus far

10 minutes ago, RenascentMisanthropy said:

Imagine if you would a cruise control system which pairs directly to your the GPS on your smartphone via an app/bluetooth.

I don't think such a thing exists with all the googling thus far

And with good cause.  My 'phone GPS has, on occasion, relocated my position by several hundred metres.  If that happened while tied into your brake/accelerator, your car would either lock up or floor it for no apparent reason.

Until such time as the US military wants to unlock the centimetre accuracy mode for civilians, that is a bad idea.

• Like 3

I've driven from Melbourne to Canberra and GPS vis Google maps has decided I took a 5 minute detour to Sydney <.<

Is the intent just to adjust speed to different speed limit signs?

4 hours ago, fliptopia said:

It is a cool idea but self driving cars will already be dealing with such things. 

Autonomous vehicles reference GPS, but they are not as directly controlled by it as "tied" suggests.  However, if there was some miscommunication there, then I agree with you.

Dunno phone GPS can be iffy since I think most are within a few metres at best, and well ... well off if somewhere with very few towers.

I picture a system of roadside beacons (in a mesh network configuration) with localised location data, and they could also carry status information (temp speed limits, road conditions, congestion data, etc) and information on nearby beacons. Traffic lights and intersections would have similar beacons. Some beacons would report their current statuses to a central location for long distance forecasting.

I think it would be interesting for all cars to be retrofitted with similar beacons, so that their locations can be taken into account as well, but you'd need a lot of safeguards in place to make sure it didn't turn into a privacy nightmare (like the current crop of numberplate recognition scanners, bluetooth/wifi tracking, etc)

Normal cars (with modern navigation systems) or Self driving cars could use this information to establish quick and safe routes and avoid congestion

i have a lot of ideas to be honest, but no idea how to develop such a system.

Edited by smadge1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Cybes said:

Autonomous vehicles reference GPS, but they are not as directly controlled by it as "tied" suggests.  However, if there was some miscommunication there, then I agree with you.

I meant with the issue of auto speed regulation in general. I should have been more specific about the general nature of my comment 😉

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

I meant with the issue of auto speed regulation in general. I should have been more specific about the general nature of my comment 😉

/nod.  Fair enough.

41 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

Speed is still tied to location anyway as roads have different speed limits, then you move interstate which then have different speed limits. Then you have roads next to each other with different speed limits ...

12 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Speed is still tied to location anyway as roads have different speed limits, then you move interstate which then have different speed limits. Then you have roads next to each other with different speed limits ...

It is tied to location but how the car knows the location is the question. My point is that the idea of location based cruise control is already essential to the idea of driver less cars and I'm sure ideas from that will filter down to an auto cruise control where you still need to steer and maybe stop/slow where appropriate. 

I remember reading 5-10 years ago that Rolls Royce had implemented a GPS/mapping aware cruise control and throttle system to assist with driving through the alps etc.

It's intent was to know about upcoming hills (up or down) to ensure the right gear was selected early and allow it to smoothly maintain speed - you can't have a rolls lurch as you downshift to get more torque as you start climbing a hill of course.

I was thinking the cruise control could use a smart phone GPS for the sake of speed detection instead of vacuum pressure from the engine or having to dig into the wiring system.

While typing this I've come to the realization that cruise control is probably standard on 99.7% of vehicles these days and an aftermarket application like what I'm describing is virtually redundant.

Still, I bet it could be done with Arduino.

• Like 1

Ah yeah, I see. It could be something that could be fitted in the future. I don't know that it would be reliable enough for everyday use but I could see where the speedo calibrates itself via the car's inbuilt GPS so that it is a bit more true.

A Chrysler 300C I used to drive only had 1kph difference between the speedo and the built-in sat-nav.

Not sure if they calibrated it to be close at the factory, or whether the GPS actually calibrates the speedo on the fly.

And that is how you travel from Marrickville to Newtown via Mounts Bay, Perth.

• Like 1