Sign in to follow this  
fliptopia

Weird laptop startup issue

I have a laptop here that was originally windows 7 and has been upgraded to 10. When it gets to the login screen the screen goes blank (but with the black light still on) and never comes on until the computer goes to sleep and then comes awake again. After that everything works fine. You hear the windows starup sound etc just no visuals. I backed it all up and formatted it and still get the same result. Graphics card is just an intel HD3000. Anyone got any ideas or seen this before?

Had a similar problem with a ITX PC and for me it was windows trying to output to a display port that didn't exist on the MB and the workaround was to use the windows shortcut to switch displays.

Windows key + P

Pressing it once wont change but a second time will begin to cycle through the options for example (PC Screen only, Duplicate, Extended, Second screen only)
Tried plugging in a monitor?

Is the laptop detecting a "phantom" monitor and sending the signal there?

I tried cycling through monitors via the laptop's shortcut key without luck. 

But for some reason I plugged in a second screen and got both screens going. Unplugged it and the single laptop screen now works every time. Maybe it was just dust and maybe almost detecting as a phantom monitor as Jerusalem said but jot enough for it to actually be able to try and display anything. I wonder why it worked after sleep mode though... 

Too many computers to fix. 

Thanks so much to both of you 🙂 needed that second set of brain cells on it. 

• Haha 1

I had a monitor that detected but didn't display signal, a **** nuisance. Hence a phantom monitor

Yeah, I've had that a few times. But not losing the primary display as a result. I've seen heaps of times where people have plugged in bot cables they got with their new monitor and finding that the connection that showed was the secondary monitor and all their icons were gone.

After a couple of hours of use this laptop blue screened (memory management) and has gone back to doing the same thing. I'm just going to have to tell them it's intermittently faulty I think. I'll try some RAM first.

13 hours ago, fliptopia said:

Yeah, I've had that a few times. But not losing the primary display as a result. I've seen heaps of times where people have plugged in bot cables they got with their new monitor and finding that the connection that showed was the secondary monitor and all their icons were gone.

After a couple of hours of use this laptop blue screened (memory management) and has gone back to doing the same thing. I'm just going to have to tell them it's intermittently faulty I think. I'll try some RAM first.

Tried the MS RAM test tool (if Windows 8 or 10)?