Sign in to follow this  
Jeruselem

Chrome OS

Interesting twist with Chrome OS, the Linux-based Google-fied OS which was supposed replace the bloated Windows and Mac OS in your life. Now you can run Windows 10 on Chrome OS machine, albeit the higher end ones with the storage space to support it. Which is interesting considering Google OS is supposed to replace Windows but now you can install Windows on the same machine. Ironically Google have copied the Apple BootCamp method of running Windows 10, since you can't run VMs on Google OS (ignoring Android app support).

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-install-windows-chromebook/

Posted (edited)

Chrome OS advocates on YouTube keep on pushing the ChromeBook thingies to replace your Windows machines. These same people think having Android apps on a Chromebook solves the application issue but in reality it doesn't as Android apps are nerfed. Still a lack of full-blown applications on Chrome OS. You can put Chrome OS, Linux, Windows etc  on pretty much any Windows laptop but ChromeBooks block you from overwriting Chrome OS on the storage via the BIOS/UEFI.

I don't see much ChromeBooks in Australia, probably because our Internets suck.

Edited by Jeruselem

Posted (edited)

I see them as being like a tablet with a fixed keyboard. 

It will be interesting to see how Alt-OS works for apps. It could really turn around the chrome book if it worked like a more user friendly WINE but I think they need to work out how to do it without dual boot like it is now. 

Edited by fliptopia

If google was clever and provided a very, VERY easy (say, bios option?) to ROOT the device\OS, it'd be amazing.

I remember back to the days of SymbianOS.
With FExplorer, you could slim the OS modify boot files, overclock using config files, you name it!

With Android, it's really hard to do anything system related unless you have a fully fledged PC to help you, or "There's an app for that!"

Open up the unix under-layer, and I'll buy nothing  but chromebooks.

Android OS sucks as a tablet OS, Android OS is a dreadful desktop OS. So Chrome OS is now horrid mess of Linux and Android interfaces ...