Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

Netgear PLP2000 slower than TP-Link 500 over long distance

It seems the old TP-Link handle long range better while the new PLP2000 may be handling electrical interference from other devices in the house better.

House to far end of first shed red signal quality about 50 meters.

plp2000 to plp2000 =25Mbps
tp-500 to tp-500 =37Mbps
tp-500 to plp2000 =34Mbps

Shed powerpoint with borderline red-amber signal quality about 40 meters.

plp2000 x2 =30-37Mbps
tp-500 x2 =50Mbps
plp2000 to tp-500 =56Mbps

From within the house green signal quality.

Powerpoint A about 25 meters.
plp2000 x2 =90-110Mbps <Green signal quality.
tp-500 x2 =22-25Mbps <Bit of a roll reversal less of a range problem within the house but more signal interference from other devices I guess.
plp2000 to tp-500 =58Mbps <Red signal quality.

Powerpoint B This one is close to the power meter probably under 10 meters in total.
plp2000 x2 =350-360Mbps
tp-500 x2 =98Mbps

Ok so now that I know the old TP-Link 500 are faster from the shed to the house I have three of the PLP2000 security linked separate to the two old ones

Two PLP2000 for the security cameras in the sheds then a short patch cable running between the third PLP2000 into a TP-Link 500 back the the house.

Now it is all working nicely but I do have to keep a bit of distance between the PLP2000 and the TP-Link 500 as it seems to lose connection if they share a power point so we will need a sparky to install some new points next to the breaker box, Probably one on the second shed breaker and the other directly into the power that comes from the house.

As it turns out it would have been a lot cheaper to buy 4 slower EoP adapters than the PLP2000 since there speed advantage is lost over long distances I am tempted to try return them.

• Thanks 1

On 2/28/2019 at 5:01 PM, Dasa said:

As it turns out it would have been a lot cheaper to buy 4 slower EoP adapters than the PLP2000 since there speed advantage is lost over long distances I am tempted to try return them. 

I would.

There's also been some chatter among users of EoP, that a powerboard with EMF filtering on the pass-through power-point helps.

So if you have any areas that need new powerboards; a $19 PlugBOSS from Bunnings (filtering and 700 joule protection), might be worth a trial.