michael.jenkin

What the heck is IDA? Ghidra? Take a look. - Mickyj Whitehat

Used IDA Pro numerous times  - very handy that it can deal with all types of CPUs going back to the old 6502.  My case was taking raw binaries and even memory dumps from emulation and creating source code that can then replicate the original program on the original system.

Then next step after that is to convert to run on the target system.

Pretty amazing what can be done quickly these days - there's even been line by line conversion of games from Z80 to 6502 though generally that's done by hand.

On 3/10/2019 at 11:36 AM, Rybags said:

Used IDA Pro numerous times  - very handy that it can deal with all types of CPUs going back to the old 6502.  My case was taking raw binaries and even memory dumps from emulation and creating source code that can then replicate the original program on the original system.

Then next step after that is to convert to run on the target system.

Pretty amazing what can be done quickly these days - there's even been line by line conversion of games from Z80 to 6502 though generally that's done by hand.

Yes, IDA was awesome but now ... a little old. As long as this tool from the NSA is on the level, then suddenly everyone has access to make an even better tool

I've not looked at it - the next progression you'd want for would be intelligent code tracing which to be successful would need to be backed by an emulation of the entire host system.