Sign in to follow this  
@~thehung

Juicero!

On 12/03/2019 at 9:39 AM, chrisg said:

I guess you are in the product's target market flip, that is precisely what it does, produce food for the time-poor and that is perfectly fine.

However it can't do a number of things, like roast or fry or bake or freeze.

With a little prep, even for the time poor, a slow cooker at sub $100 can produce pretty much the same variety of food in fact probably a bigger variety given the recipes available for slow cooking and a bit of ingenuity.

Of that list an SC CAN roast and bake but it can't blend or grind of itself.

I understand why someone would turn to a Thermomix or one of its competitors but in my view it's not cooking.

Cheers

Show cooker can't fry or freeze, either. Also typically no streaming.

🙂

Indeed not Nich, you can freeze the left overs of course but same with a Thermo.

But sub $100 to over $2k ? Buy a great fridge freezer and top range frypan and steamer and still have change.

Moral: Nothing does everything, both devices are about convenience, I know which I'll persevere with but to each their own.

Cheers

If you were looking towards thermomix type products without the price tag (or community support or a couple of features) then there's also devices like this: https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-thermoblend-elite-all-one-food-processor-cooker/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_ads&gclid=CjwKCAjwmq3kBRB_EiwAJkNDpySZuue6Ybvwqp44efg5mw1_tDZB2XZ4iTki1ST60kJVqHNDk8ErQRoCpg4QAvD_BwE

I've never used one though. I was looking at the thermochef when we bought the thermomix but they don't seem easy to come by anymore, but apparently it did the recipes of the thermomix pretty much exactly but you had to set everything manually instead of being run through the process by the software.

prize for the first person to program a raspberry pi (appropriately) to be the interface

4 hours ago, chrisg said:

Indeed not Nich, you can freeze the left overs of course but same with a Thermo.

But sub $100 to over $2k ? Buy a great fridge freezer and top range frypan and steamer and still have change.

Moral: Nothing does everything, both devices are about convenience, I know which I'll persevere with but to each their own.

Tell us again why you like to drive expensive European cars?

13 minutes ago, Nich... said:

Tell us again why you like to drive expensive European cars?

because they can deliver you to a place where someone without a thermomix can produce delicious ready-to-eat food with even less of your effort required than using a thermomix ?

But if it's all about the price, surely a much cheaper car could deliver you there just as well, with budget space to spare for a bottle of red (not something too expensive tho')

🙂

My current Peugeot is a 307 hatch,  about 180,000 on the clock basically as good as new.

I've no idea what it would be worth to sell and no intention to do so.

THAT's why I like "expensive European cars" they are not actually particularly expensive at all and they hugely outlast most anything out of Asia.

Cheers

3 hours ago, chrisg said:

they hugely outlast most anything out of Asia

Oh?

desktop-attraction_Top-Gear_w870px_h475p

they hugely outlast most anything out of Asia.

image.jpeg.2dd578dbefaddafb4148fafcf151fa1e.jpeg

🙂

My current Peugeot is a 307 hatch,  about 180,000 on the clock basically as good as new.

I've no idea what it would be worth to sell and no intention to do so.

THAT's why I like "expensive European cars" they are not actually particularly expensive at all and they hugely outlast most anything out of Asia.

Cheers

I have no idea what it cost brand new, but it looks like, for something of similar vintage as my little Korean car, it's still twice as much.  Totally ignoring the difference in costs of maint, servicing, parts, etc.

So I mean, I hope your car lasts you twice as long, at least, to justify driving around your Thermomix.

My 2003 Lancer only cost twice as much as the set of tyres I put on it, with under 100k on the clock... probably getting harder to find em in wreckers' yards by now, but way more common than Peugots I bet

Hmm, a number of assumptions being made.

I did not buy the 307 new, I didn't see the point in getting a new 308 which is very, very similar when the guy I bought all my Pugs from in Perth had this really nice dark blue 307 just traded. It literally was one-little-old-lady first owner, I met her a couple of times. She bought a 308, seems she had been driving Pugs since the 504 and traded every decade whether it was necessary or not. She bought a new 308, I bought her 307 for $9k...

There's a serious misnomer over the cost of Euorocar parts. I've owned Toyotas and Mitsubishis at the same time as Eurocars including Pugs, also Fiats. The parts are much the same price, Fiat usually cheaper. Exhausts can be expensive but I've never had to replace one, stainless from new on the Pug.

Lastly I did not service my 406 coupe, that was a bit expensive on servicing but it did not matter at the time. I service the 307 myself, easy as, so that is irrelevant.

Possibly the purchase price was higher than a second hand Korean but at 180,000kms the mechanic who used to service the 406 reckons it has that much at least to go. Pugs in particular live long lives.

300 series Peugeots, 306,307,308 are pretty common in both Perth and Adelaide, not that I've ever needed second hand parts.

I don't expect to ever be driving around a Thermomix 🙂

Cheers

ok.  So you paid more like 2-3x more for a decade old car than I paid for my decade old car.

Doesn't change your argument that a thermomix costs too much considering you can pay a lot less to get the job done.

We had a Honda civic before the VW we have now. It had over 250, 000kms on it and still drove like a new one. Never replaced anything more than normal servicing. Not that a Honda is significantly cheaper than a European car... But I had a work i30 with about 200,000kms on it and it only had a problem with the rubber on the key wearing out from me locking and unlocking. Korea has come a long way in reliability. Although the dual clutch transmission in my i40 is terrible compared the the one in my wife's golf... 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

🙂

It was not a decade old when I bought it Nich, but about 8 years yes, but low mileage.

"Getting the job done" in a car is a bit different to cooking.

I enjoy driving and like a good handling car with plenty of power, the 307 sticks like glue and it's 2L motor spins out very nicely. Not as fast at the top as the 406 but I hardly ever leave town any more so don't miss being able to do 260kph, totally illegal but on a deserted road in deep W.A. with unlimited visibility which I did once with the coupe.

If driving is just your means to get from A to B fine, cars mean a lot more than that to me but I've nothing against Korean cars, now, they were once shite. Heck my sister's new Renault, a lovely car, was made in Korea.

It's somewhat the same to me with cooking. It's a hobby, just as cars are a hobby of mine, so I like to cook and don't much worry about how long a meal takes.

That said I totally understand flip being time poor, a Thermo makes sense, for him.

However a slow cooker is not just about convenience of prep-am eat-pm. There are other virtues. Slow cooking brings out the very best in cheap meat cuts, gives soups time to properly fuse flavours, makes  indifferent supermarket chickens deliciously moist and succulent. Vegetables are great as well, about the only thing I almost never bother to cook in one is fish, it cooks fast enough already. Although there is a garlic prawn dish I slow cook, fabulous.

Contrariwise I also have a turbo Oven and often use it as well, very good for roast in a different way to the SC.

To each their own, be a boring world if there was only one way to cook or only one make of car to drive. Be a bit like living in Russia. 🙂

Cheers

Edit: Missed your post flip. Yes, Honda are grear, but as much a European ethos car as anything. I once almost bought a Prelude but Peugeot did a better deal. The Prelude was great. The i30 was and is a watershed car from Korea, great vehicle, a few in my family have them. Again that said one in the family has an i40, can't say I was impressed driving it.

Edited by chrisg

The i40 makes a comfortable economic cruiser for freeways but definitely not a drivers car. That said, I was happy to take it and get out of the imax/iload I was driving. 

Yeah, that would be my take on the i40 whereas the i30 is somewhat a driver's car, particularly after a few tweaks.

One of my nephews bought one second hand from someone who had never done much more that put in fuel, keep the tyres at placard pressure and take advantage of the service included package. When that ran out it was traded on something else that needed little to no upkeep.

My nephew is quite the amateur car enthusiast. He ran a few tanks of Shell Ultra through it, the original owner had just bought the cheapest ULP and it was a bit sooty. That and a few hard drives cleaned it out whilst he put in better oil, moved it onto Michelins at 32psi all around, swapped in a sports air filter he found somewhere, think he had to do a mod to make it fit, put in various other better consumable items as they came up for service and in general tweaked it. Performs much better than stock ones other members of the family have so he's made a bit of a rod for his own back making theirs better 🙂

His next thoughts are some suspension improvements.

That's the difference between just driving a car as a commodity and enjoying driving and getting the best out of a car.

I've done similar things with my Pug. Never beyond using premium fluids and tyres at a sensible pressure did much to the 406, didn't need it, but the 3 series Pugs benefit from a bit of tweaking.

Cheers

Sticking 205/45 16s on the Lancer made a pretty big difference... Although in hindsight I probably should have got much less grippy rubber for the back. Also it highlights the crapness of the standard suspension, but I want to retain the ability to smash it over speed bumps... I was thinking some sway bars would go a long way, particularly since the back doesn't even have one, but was disappointed to find the aftermarket no longer supports that generation. Haven't had enough luck finding modified ones in wreckers either. 

I don't want to get a later one, since my main criteria is it has to be under a tonne, and the list of contenders dries right up as you move forward in time, dammit. That's fucking backwards.

🙂

If you are into drift driving I guess Kimmo.

I've never messed around with different front and rears, prefer being able to rotate clockwise  🙂

I was always a Michelin buyer but messing around with other people's cars who did not want to go to that expense made me a convert to Maxxis. They are one damned good tyre, a bit firm but that doesn't bother me, grip well and last. Suits for my primarily city cycle driving these days.

Cheers

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, chrisg said:

drift driving

Hardly, with FWD... the idea is to try to get it to handle more like a Mini.

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

Maxxis

Hah, didn't realise they made car tyres... they have a bike tyre called the Detonator, lol.

I went Toyo.

Edited by Kimmo

Maxxis have been in the car market for quite a while. I had them on my 2nd X1/9, worked well there as well.

Toyo are a good tyre also from what I've seen. Another relative has them on a Mazda 3 and is happy.

Cheers