Sign in to follow this  
Leonid

Terror attack in NZ

Hmm,

I don't disagree with either of you but as stadl points out the very term terrorism has been cheapened by overuse.

The window dressing of his manifesto et al seems to me as much about narcissism as anything. I haven't nor will read it but from what I know it doesn't adhere to the views of any particular group or ideology, just hatred.

Calling him a terrorist sort of pigeon holes the prick and implies some legitimacy to his actions when in fact he is just an indiscriminate murderer.

From the point of view of NZ law they may be able to throw a bigger book at him if he is tried as a terrorist - that's fine by me, but it may not be the case.

Cheers

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, chrisg said:

Calling him a terrorist sort of pigeon holes the prick and implies some legitimacy to his actions when in fact he is just an indiscriminate murderer.

calling someone a terrorist implies some legitimacy?  thats a particularly poor choice of words.  if you reword it, i will edit my post accordingly.

you brought up a comparison to Bryant.   Anders Breivik is the more apt comparison.  someone with a deliberate and clearly stated socio-political agenda, as opposed to the random homicides of a moron-level mind unravelling in comparative isolation. 

Edited by @~thehung
  • Like 3

Really, we gonna argue about whether a guy opposed to immigration as a political policy, mows down a bunch of people utterly unrelated to any policy-making ability, is or is not a terrorist?

In his own damned manifesto he says this was an act of terrorism!

Like seriously... I know we’re an argumentative bunch on here, but this is really pretty fucken clear.

• Like 1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

i'm open minded

he might say he's a terrorist, but delusional people might say they're the second coming of god

so if self assessment is enough to make the motivation clear, it's simple

but it's never quite that simple i believe, even if one contends some people really are mad

here's an interesting idea :

https://aeon.co/essays/the-psychiatrist-who-didn-t-believe-in-mental-illness

notable quote :

He declared that ‘psychiatry is a threat to civil liberties, especially to the liberties of individuals stigmatised as “right-wingers” ’

1 hour ago, @~thehung said:

calling someone a terrorist implies some legitimacy?  thats a particularly poor choice of words.  if you reword it, i will edit my post accordingly.

you brought up a comparison to Bryant.   Anders Breivik is the more apt comparison.  someone with a deliberate and clearly stated socio-political agenda, as opposed to the random homicides of a moron-level mind unravelling in comparative isolation. 

Heh,

I regard terrorists as the illegitimate spawn of diseased minded fanatics in the main. There are some exceptions, Stern Gang springs to mind but politics via violence against innocents is a complex subject, by those lights the allied bombing raids on cities were terrorist acts.

I do not mean to imply I regard terrorists such as ISIS as legitimate in any way whatsoever, I mean that by affiliating or aligning with such groups terrorists acquire legitimacy in their own minds.

I agree with you over greater similarities to the Norwegian massacre, I've just explored the Port Arthur massacre in greater detail.

To make it clear if someone passed me a gun or a rusty spoon I'd send this useless piece of shit back to whatever version of hell he came from and not bat an eyelid.

Cheers

56 minutes ago, chrisg said:

I do not mean to imply I regard terrorists such as ISIS as legitimate in any way whatsoever

that was never in doubt.  just weird phrasing.  anyway, thanks for the clarification

1 hour ago, scruffy1 said:

i'm open minded

he might say he's a terrorist, but delusional people might say they're the second coming of god

it doesnt matter though.  even if he is a paranoid schizophrenic for whom these particular fixations were just an arbitrary accident, the net result of his actions is that specific sectors of communities have been terrorised in direct sympathy with established terrorist agendas.  ergo: terrorist.

• Like 1

He is not delusional.

Guys. Stop trying to make excuses. Some people are just plain assholes because of ideology.

Nazis, Islamists, Fascists, White Nationalists, Communists - all modern manifestations of assholery - because of ideology.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I don't class him as any kind of an ideologist, he's a murderer, an indiscriminate murderer with no respect for human life.

Cheers

Edited by chrisg

1 hour ago, Leonid said:

He is not delusional.

Guys. Stop trying to make excuses. Some people are just plain assholes because of ideology.

that was the point of my linky to the psychiatrist's view

and point of order - in straya, people are arseholes and thus undertake arseholery

i feel strongly about this abuse of the local idiom

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, scruffy1 said:

that was the point of my linky to the psychiatrist's view

and point of order - in straya, people are arseholes and thus undertake arseholery

i feel strongly about this abuse of the local idiom

How ethno-nationalist of you

*runs for dear life*

41 minutes ago, chrisg said:

I don't class him as any kind of an ideologist, he's a murderer, an indiscriminate murderer with no respect for human life.

Cheers

Indiscriminate would surely involve shooting people who weren't at the mosque, like randoms  and passers by?

Cos of to go into a mosque and only shot the people there, that sounds like a pretty discriminate choice.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Leonid said:

How ethno-nationalist of you

*runs for dear life*

i don't have to be a patriot to have an etymological pedantry fetish

8 hours ago, Nich... said:

Indiscriminate would surely involve shooting people who weren't at the mosque, like randoms  and passers by?

Cos of to go into a mosque and only shot the people there, that sounds like a pretty discriminate choice.

How semantic.

He was challenged when leaving the first mosque and ran away but still armed, nothing to say he would not shoot anyone who stood in his way.

The shooting inside the mosque was definitely indiscriminate shooting young and old. His targets may have been mosques but beyond that his fire was indiscriminate.

He had no particular person in mind to shoot, that's indiscriminate.

Cheers

Wow - this is probably the most pointless argument/disagreement I have ever read in the history of these forums.

What this fuckwit did was a clear cut, textbook act of terrorism.

It's that simple.

Case closed.

Can't we all just say he indescriminately fired into a group he discriminately discriminated against and get on with it? 

3 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

Can't we all just say he indescriminately fired into a group he discriminately discriminated against and get on with it? 

/head desk

lol

Semi-autos will be banned soon in NZ, the loopholes will be closed. Only takes one nutter to cause this as we know.

It's a start and a significant one, military weapons, which is what a semi-auto rifle is, have no place in civilian hands. Apparently under the old rules in N.Z he was able to order an AI-16 on-line, 10 round mag, then purchase a 30 round mag somewhere else. Identical mag load, bingo, full M-16 in all but name.

I just regard the term terrorist as giving scum some kind of justification for murder. He's a murderer but if he is also called a terrorist big deal.

Cheers

Apparently there was loophole you could buy a semi-auto for pest control. So some farmer needs say an AK-47 to shoot rabbits?

5 minutes ago, Jeruselem said:

Apparently there was loophole you could buy a semi-auto for pest control. So some farmer needs say an AK-47 to shoot rabbits?

Hey man, have you seen HOW MANY rabbits are out there?
Little cunts be breeding like rabbits!

it's more than fucking madness to allow citizens to have a gun of that "ability"

one could argue it's pretty weird to let them have guns at all

if most of australia has declared cracker night an illegal event, then allowing munitions to be purchased seems a pretty lame act of legislation

yes, many people will be distressed to have their fun stopped, and may otherwise be quite disinclined to commit mass murder

but even the spraying of a heavy metal into the environment is an act of vandalism akin to throwing your dhurrie butts into the gutter, or tossing a plastic drinking straw

and don't get me going about flushing hormones and other bioactive stuff down the toilet in your waste, that then goes pretty much straight into the ocean

people get very keen on emissions and climate, but less visible (and also obvious) other stuff is screwing the biosphere for all time