Sign in to follow this  
Cybes

W10 15 March update broke my mouse

24 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

So is system restore not an option? 

And what antivirus if any have you had or do you have? 

It's an option, but last restore point is about a week of downloads ago.  I'm also pretty sure forced updates will just happily reinstall the broken shit anyway.

There's no AV on either of my machines except Defender.  It doesn't play well with others, and it's not that bad these days anyway, provided you don't do stupid things.

So, cheapshit mouse does in fact light up, so there's some sort of activity in the ports - just Windows not recognising it.  Could be  faulty memory, but I coulda sworn it was brighter last time I used it (9 months ago).  They surely can't have fubar'd things so badly the ports are undervolted.

Oh, and the laptop I've had to fall back on autoupdated last night as well.  That still works, fortunately - but it did take 30 minutes to start up.  (Not kidding!  I was sure it was frozen, but I was eating so let it sit.)

There's every chance that the update will work properly the second time and not screw up your mouse again. 

Have you checked your update history to see what the update was? 

49 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

There's every chance that the update will work properly the second time and not screw up your mouse again.

Considering that I've already rolled back the update and had it install again, I question your conclusion. 😜

I'm about ready to punt the fucking thing out the window (the RL one, with glass).  I guess that means my next step is "Fuck my downloads!" - one way or another.   And if it's still broken after that, I just might try Linux again.  Maybe it's ready this time.

Oh, and a DISM scan also turns up nothing.  And comparing the laptop's driver list (also rearranged by the update) reveals exactly the same driver config as the desktop unit.  I can see no reason why it should not work, but it doesn't.  And people ask why I got out of computing.

I question why I stick with it almost daily. You could roll back and pause the update for a month... Maybe something will be fixed by then. 

Just loaded March update on my work PC with zillion bit of software, seems happy.

17 hours ago, fliptopia said:

I question why I stick with it almost daily. You could roll back and pause the update for a month... Maybe something will be fixed by then. 

Already tried rolling it back. It stayed broken (which I didn't know was possible).  So I let it reapply the patch, and that's still broken too.

3 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Just loaded March update on my work PC with zillion bit of software, seems happy.

Most people - almost all - have had no problem.  Most who have had a problem get fixed by simply deleting the driver and letting redetect.  I am one of a tiiiiiiny group.

Knowing that does not make me happier.

I do have the Logitech gaming mouse drivers loaded so it's not a normal set up at all, which might be why the monthly updates might not affecting my mouse driver.

On 17/03/2019 at 8:12 PM, Cybes said:

It's an option, but last restore point is about a week of downloads ago.

Were you worried about losing actual stuff you've downloaded, or a week of updates ago?

Wow - totally missed seeing that post, Nich.  Sorry, dude.  Bit of both, really, but mostly just the pain of getting the stuff down again.  However...

Problem fixed - maybe.

Turns out the relatively new Logitech mouse has a problem, which, through coincidence or something less tolerant in this build, causes the entire USB bus to shut down until hard reset by disconnection from the wall and a few minutes to discharge caps.  This happens without notification from Windows, which is super confusing.  Confirmed by swapping three mice on a laptop with two buses (one per side) until the the poison one turned off the mouse; replacement mice on the same side ports also did not work subsequently.  This was not fixed by restart, or even power-off - I had to pull the battery.  On repowering all ports were returned to function, as was the functionality of two of the mice - and the third one killed the ports on that side again.

So... The box in question is not back in service just yet: I've taken advantage of the moment for a cleaning and a chance to pop in a small second SSD for swap.

• Like 1

Sounds like you've found a culprit. Always a good feeling with something tricky like that. People who don't believe in coincidence need to work on computers. 

2 hours ago, fliptopia said:

People who don't believe in coincidence need to get their head out of their arse.

FTFY. 😜  But, yes.  Any complex system, really.

Hell, even the military know coincidences happen, and paranoia is kinda their business - and least in recon.  [About some sort of loss I forget]: "Once is unfortunate; Twice is coincidence; Three times is enemy action."

Posted (edited)

I assume Cybes has fixed this issue by now, but for future searches on this problem I have found turning off fast startup can fix some of these quirks after an upgrade. With fast startup on Windows basically loads the hardware configuration from memory which can make the boot faster. Unfortunately it can also cause problems if something has changed.

In my case I have internal 2.5" and 3.5" hdd docks for loading customers drives for cloning etc.

The relevant sata ports are set to removable in the bios so I can safely eject them whilst in Windows. However If I forget to do this and shut down, then remove the drives, the next boot always gives me a BSOD to do with an inaccessible hard drive.

So worth going to Power options > "choose what the power buttons do" > "change settings that are currently unavailable" and untick "turn on fast startup".

Apply and close and reboot.

Be warned this can get reset to on the next time there is a Win 10 version change.

/edit for some reason page 2 did not show up for me when I posted. Interesting that the mouse did that Cybes, I would still have a play with the fast startup option to see if that has any effect on the mouse/USB behaviour.

BTW which mouse is it?

Edited by aliali
Blerg
  • Thanks 1

I'm going to assume you've tried the mouse in another PC? Or a Linux boot Environment?

I know this isn't helpful to fixing the issue; and I want to know the genuine outcome as much as you do, but since things have improved so much in regards to games and software, the move to Linux (especially MINT) has never been easier.....