Sign in to follow this  
Cybes

W10 15 March update broke my mouse

Update installed itself overnight, and now my USB mouse is not recognised. Replugged several times - no change. Uninstalled last updates and restart - no change.

This would be a whole lot easier to cope with and fix if Windows had a halfway sensible (and documented!*) keyboard navigation scheme. (*All I can find is hotkeys to start various apps, nothing as mundane as how to choose one of 15 links and right-click it)

1 hour ago, Nich... said:

Tab spam and context menu key?

Mm. Am getting around now, no thanks to 'help', but I think the word 'tedious' is adequate for this task.

Seems like almost everything requires 150 keystrokes.

One would think 'roll back driver version' would be a good option to have, but...

10 hours ago, fliptopia said:

Try this: 

Thanks - that does help.

Still wanna strap a MS dev to a chair and play Mahler at them for a few days. 😜

• Like 1

We all want that. So have you worked it out? Sometimes I've found an antivirus program stuffs up drivers after a few things including windows 10 updates. Usually requiring the removal tool to properly get rid of it. Sometimes having to reinstall then  install properly. 

30 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

We all want that. So have you worked it out? Sometimes I've found an antivirus program stuffs up drivers after a few things including windows 10 updates. Usually requiring the removal tool to properly get rid of it. Sometimes having to reinstall then  install properly. 

Nup - no clue.  My very expensive desktop is effectively fucked as far as many of my apps are concerned.  Not happy, Jan!

I've tried everything I can think of that isn't hugely destructive: reset, factory reset, reinstall...  ISTR being able to redo just the Windows files, and leave the rest of the disk alone, but my copy of W10 doesn't admit to knowing anything about that.

In the start menu, search for 'refresh' / or just bring up the settings window for recovery, and click 'get started' under 'reset this pc'.

I assume you've done stuff like move the mouse to a different USB port?  Is it a mouse that needs specific third party drivers?  Do you have a spare mouse to test if it's an issue with mice in general or that one specifically?

Tried SFC?

I know you've probably checked if you have a wireless mouse, but mouse batteries?

I wonder if a mouse would work via team viewer or remote desktop. I'd give it a go if you wanted.

41 minutes ago, Nich... said:

In the start menu, search for 'refresh' / or just bring up the settings window for recovery, and click 'get started' under 'reset this pc'.

I assume you've done stuff like move the mouse to a different USB port?  Is it a mouse that needs specific third party drivers?  Do you have a spare mouse to test if it's an issue with mice in general or that one specifically?

There is no 'refresh' - there is reset "keep my files" (which deletes about .5TB of apps, but keeps 200KB of personal configs), and reset "remove everything" (which is worse).

If I can't find another solution, I may be forced to do that, but I am NOT looking forward to spending a week solid downloading shit and then getting it all set up again.

Yes, I've swapped ports and mice (and both).  No change.

25 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

Tried SFC?

I know you've probably checked if you have a wireless mouse, but mouse batteries?

I wonder if a mouse would work via team viewer or remote desktop. I'd give it a go if you wanted.

SFC just performed before I saw this reply: nothing missing or corrupt.

It tells great big fucking lies: the entire Mouse/HID Pointing Device section id *gone* from the device driver list.  I found a brand new Human Interface Devices section, none of which's children say 'mouse', and a web page suggesting that disabling it/them could flip the system into redetecting it and restoring the missing section.  It doesn't.

I've also made sure the power plan (which MS kindly changed from my personalised setting without telling me) leaves the USB devices turned on.  Also no difference.

That MS dev just graduated to Vogon poetry.

Yeah, it's not really called refresh, but it comes up if you search for it.  Not sure if that's great or terrible.

I've had to do it a few times, most recent being when I dumped the SSD from a dead NUC into a new NUC, and it seemed easier than manually unfucking the mess of drivers and HAL.

Read up a little and make sure you're confident in what is kept and what is wiped and what might be coped to a renamed folder for safekeeping.

If it's removing ~500GB of stuff, are you able to move it to another partition/drive, first? 

Have you checked if anything changes in the Human interface devices when you unplug your mouse? Maybe work out which one it is?

4 minutes ago, Nich... said:

If it's removing ~500GB of stuff, are you able to move it to another partition/drive, first? 

One mammoth SSD, no other drives.  I might be able to create a new partition on it without wiping the existing one first, but I've never tried anything like that since the days one needed Partition Magic.

6 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

Have you checked if anything changes in the Human interface devices when you unplug your mouse? Maybe work out which one it is?

Yep.  No change that I've noticed.  That does not mean *nothing* did - it could be a 1 changed to a 0 somewhere in one of those 64-bit ID strings - but I haven't seen it if so.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Cybes said:

One mammoth SSD, no other drives.  I might be able to create a new partition on it without wiping the existing one first, but I've never tried anything like that since the days one needed Partition Magic.

Yep.  No change that I've noticed.  That does not mean *nothing* did - it could be a 1 changed to a 0 somewhere in one of those 64-bit ID strings - but I haven't seen it if so.

So nothing appeared or disappeared in device manager?

Just now, fliptopia said:

So nothing appeared or disappeared in device manager?

... When plugging/unplugging the mouse, no.  As i said, though, the entire Pointing Device section is gone.  I can try to screenshot that for you, but don't hold your breath without a working mouse.

Messing around with partition magic long ago was the reason I've since kept my games on a separate partition, if not drive, to Windows.  If I'm reinstalling, it's things like 7zip and irfanview and office, not terrabytes of games.

Good luck :<

it's ok, I can imagine it in my minds eye 😉 

what about if you enable showing hidden devices in device manager?

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

what about if you enable showing hidden devices in device manager?

Huh - hadn't even thought of that.  Makes little difference, though - the relevant section reappears, but all entries insist they have the right updates installed but do not recognise they have a mouse connected.  "Code 45"

Edited by Cybes

Posted (edited)

Can you force a generic driver? Do you want me to send an export of the mouse class, mouclass and mouhid registry keys? I don't know if it will fix it but I don't think it can hurt.

Here they are anyway.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WbtOvU6IS2wYwkKi4VDHQM4IBYB1nbNX?usp=sharing

Otherwise you could try to restore to previous version via the recovery environment or maybe even system restore.

Edited by fliptopia

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

Can you force a generic driver? Do you want me to send an export of the mouse class, mouclass and mouhid registry keys? I don't know if it will fix it but I don't think it can hurt.

Here they are anyway.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WbtOvU6IS2wYwkKi4VDHQM4IBYB1nbNX?usp=sharing

Thanks for the effort.  Windows fucking hates me atm, I swear: this is not the computer that's broken, so cant just c&p that - typed the url wrong and couldn't find the error for a bit; then Firefox insists the files are .mp3s and tries to play them; after convincing it to d/l them instead, it saves them ... inside a black hole?  Not where they should be, anyway - had to go find them; rename the files (using kb shortcuts I don't remember) and then I'm allowed to use them. 😛

Aand it made no difference.  Wonderful.  But at least it's no more fucked than before, so I got that going for me. /greenskeeper

Mousekeys: n/m I just forgot the modifier key. 😛  Been a long and frustrating day.

Edited by Cybes

You are having some sort of shitty lucky right now. 

Have you rebooted since you did put those keys in? 

Interestingly, looking at them on my phone, I see them as audio files in Google drive. So that's a bit odd. 

Can you use team viewer/logmein/rdp to access it from the computer you're using now. Also,  I'll tiny url any further links if I can think of anything. 

29 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

You are having some sort of shitty lucky right now. 

Have you rebooted since you did put those keys in? 

Interestingly, looking at them on my phone, I see them as audio files in Google drive. So that's a bit odd. 

Can you use team viewer/logmein/rdp to access it from the computer you're using now. Also,  I'll tiny url any further links if I can think of anything. 

Thanks man.  Think I'm done for the day - puck it up again tomorrow.

The only other thing I can think of, is have you uninstalled the driver, unplugged the mouse, and then plugged it back in?  And if that doesn't work, same same, but reinstall the driver for the mouse before it plugs back in?

(I'm not even sure at this point if the issue is with your mouse driver, usb port, or HID subsystem) 😕

3 hours ago, Nich... said:

The only other thing I can think of, is have you uninstalled the driver, unplugged the mouse, and then plugged it back in?  And if that doesn't work, same same, but reinstall the driver for the mouse before it plugs back in?

(I'm not even sure at this point if the issue is with your mouse driver, usb port, or HID subsystem) 😕

Yes to the first - with a reboot before replugging.  Nada.

Just thought: I have a cheapshit mouse that appears to take it's light power direct from the USB rails, without waiting to see if it's recognised - the only way to make the damned thong go dark was unplug it.  I should try that - make sure MS haven't broken USB completely, and it's the keyboard being miraculous instead.

So is system restore not an option? 

And what antivirus if any have you had or do you have?