jelske123

New HTPC/File server Build Feedback

Posted (edited)

So you're not doing any RAID of any type?

PS I'm guessing you're in Ireland from the links

Edited by Jeruselem

There should be no real reason to setup raid for an HTPC. Maybe raid 1 rather than 0 for redundancy for the file server side. 0 will just complicate things further for you. If you wanted to save a little bit on that you could also go with 8gb for watching video and a few files being served unless you think you will have a lot of computers hitting it at once for data but then you probably want to change other things too. 

• Like 1

Raid 0 was originally for pure speed (and zero redundancy), but with an SSD it's not necessary to use RAID 0.

I mentioned RAID in case you needed some redundancy with the file server.

2 hours ago, jelske123 said:

This is a good point about redundancy, would getting ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I GAMING for a mobo be overkill? https://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=ECE4484475

I might get the 8gb for RAM, there is always a spare slot to upgrade later: https://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?productcode=MMEJ153831 👍

That board is asolutely overkill for the purpose. That 8gb will be fine. 

Posted (edited)

PSU in that case is junk go with this one instead while not top quality at least it is 80 plus bronze certified.

In Win Chopin Black Mini-ITX Case, 150W PSU

I would probably also go with

2200G

B450 I

2x4GB 3000c15

Intel 660P 1TB

But without knowing exactly what tasks it will be doing I am just guessing your requirements.

Edited by Dasa
  • Like 1

Does this give you any ideas about what you really want?

If you only want up to one HDD and m.2 SSD you could go with a NUC8I5 it will be smaller still and use less power.

A NVME SSD and lower latency RAM will give the system a little more zip and not cost much extra which is why I suggested the 660P above as for sodimm that would be Hyper X Impact 2400 cl14.