Sign in to follow this  
fliptopia

Soul

7 hours ago, TheManFromPOST said:

actually no, it does not

farmers are more efficient than they were 30 years ago, so we can grow more food, feed more people

But do we still need more people? I'd suggest we are getting them anyway... Do we have to wait til we are at or near maximum capacity to say we have enough people? 

51 minutes ago, fliptopia said:

But do we still need more people? I'd suggest we are getting them anyway... Do we have to wait til we are at or near maximum capacity to say we have enough people? 

get out of the capital cities and try telling me we are even close to being over populated

• Like 1

My father in law passed away on the 18th April (3 days ago) and we all watched him go (at home). We watched as he talked to his dead mum and his Long dead little brother (his brother died at age 6 in 1950). We're all pretty convinced there is "something after" you leave this mortal coil.

RIP Robin Holmes <--- Yes his parents must've had a sense of humour !

Personally I don't believe we spend all our lives learning this shit just for it all to end and that's it. The End.

I've spent my entire life learning this stuff now I'm ready to start living !

1 hour ago, TheManFromPOST said:

get out of the capital cities and try telling me we are even close to being over populated

I'm only asking about the *need* part. Even would we be better off with more or less or the same number.  The whether we can support more easily or not is important, sure but less philosophical and more about practicalities of space and sustenance, I think. 

As far as capital cities go, that is where people migrate. People move there for the jobs and businesses make jobs there because of the pool of potential workers. If working from home 3 or 4 days a week became the norm it might change for more regional centres for work. I know a lot of people want to get out of major cities (although lots of them then bemoan the lack of restaurants, entertainment and other services they have when they get out).

Edited by fliptopia
Sensicalness

3 hours ago, TheManFromPOST said:

If the people still choose to live in cities rather than the country, and the cities are quite obviously overpopulated, then we still have enough people. 

How many people does the Earth require to be considered 'not enough'. Scientifically, I would say that would be at the point where the species declines unintentionally towards possible extinction. I can't see that happening any time soon.

2 hours ago, fliptopia said:

I know a lot of people want to get out of major cities (although lots of them then bemoan the lack of restaurants, entertainment and other services they have when they get out).

And there are lots who do escape and don't bemoan the lacks you cite 🙂

The sea / tree change phenomenon is a construct designed to get people out ( a bit at least ) from the city centres.  Instead of enjoying the space the growing community needs to fill it with 'things' to keep the kids off the streets, and to give employment to those so as to continue to survive out of the city. It's a fucking catch-22 . and so it grows / goes. Humanity is like a cancerous growth on this planet ... but, me, I'm just here cos my folks fucked up 😉 .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fliptopia said:

I'm only asking about the *need* part. Even would we be better off with more or less or the same number. 

'Need' would be a much smaller number

it would depend on the type of civilization that you want

a city of a few hundred would be enough to be self sustaining

but if you want technology, then you would want millions of citizens

1 hour ago, TheManFromPOST said:

'Need' would be a much smaller number

it would depend on the type of civilization that you want

a city of a few hundred would be enough to be self sustaining

but if you want technology, then you would want millions of citizens

So you *could* say we have enough humans? 

On 13/04/2019 at 5:48 PM, twinair said:

The best Chilli Peppers song. Ever.

Have to argue against that.  IMO this one is, and also relevant to the thread subject:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rybags said:

Have to argue against that.  IMO this one is, and also relevant to the thread subject:

It's a tough choice with the Chili Peppers. 

Suck My Kiss would be my first obvious choice. 

It could be an entire new topic actually - with lots of bands in retrospect 20-30 years later my opinion of their best songs has changed.

But I remember the era - when music in general was taking a bit of a nosedive for a while, there were the unconventional likes of Chilli Peppers, R.E.M. and FYC to save the day.