Sign in to follow this  
Kimmo

Air is important

What if high levels of carbon dioxide indoors impair humans' decisionmaking skills, even as higher concentrations outdoors pose serious warming risks? Scientists ponder yet a new down side to burning fossil fuels.

Indoor CO2: Dumb and dumber?

Holy crap 

• Like 1

I have doubts... it's parts per million.   But on the other hand, it's well known that oxygen deprivation at altitude causes all sorts of problems including delusional behaviour and bad decision making.

🙂

Evolution needs to get a move on and ramp up those plant genes we apparently have.

Cheers

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

🙂

Evolution needs to get a move on and ramp up those plant genes we apparently have.

Cheers

Want to look like an ENT in LOTR then hey?

I'm not in the best of moods just now as I've spent the better part of the day indoors. It will take another hour or two and I will be fine before bed ... I know this cos even though I'm sitting inside, I have fresh air ventilating all around. Well, as fresh as the natural out doors here can be that is. Given the industry close by is cane farming and a Mill about 7 ks away it's not 'pure as driven snow' air, but it does beat inner city air .

I have always said that air plane air is probably waay more toxic now since smoking became outlawed ... which by the way was really incentivised by monetary costs first and human health second, imo 😉

Is there still a fad for buying oxygenated air, or rather going to salons for the trip of dosing yourself up with ?

I don't survive long in shopping malls or even super markets ... I can walk in okay but I'm not a dawdler. My patience runs out pretty quick and I become demonstrably tired, and black under the eyes. Fake air is fucking fake.

from OP link...

"Health effects of high indoor CO2 concentrations

For more than a century, builders have snaked duct work through walls and wired fans to control temperature and keep air fresh and free of body odors. However, in recent decades, health researchers have discovered that even clean-smelling air can be unhealthy to children at school, office workers, and other indoor occupants. The problem stems, in part, from chemicals, such as formaldehyde, used in production of insulation, floor and wall coverings and adhesives. These materials slowly release gasses, sometimes in amounts that cause headaches, nausea, and other acute problems. Some materials emit carcinogens such as benzene. Over years of exposure, even very small amounts of these – in concentrations that produce no acute symptoms – can put people in danger. And buildings are sealed ever more tightly to save energy. Contaminants stay trapped inside."

based on personal experience ... I find the above makes perfect sense

Yeah,

Sick building syndrome, I've worked in a few.

Cheers

Same here, but it generally revolves around badly maintained AC systems that don't draw in enough fresh air, and shitty old carpets and fittings that are decades past their use-by.

Yum.

Hmm...'new car smell' car 'fresheners' - eau d' brominated flame retardant?