Nich...

Off-topic

31 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Sounds pretty good to me.

what does ?

7 minutes ago, eveln said:

what does ?

LOL!

I didn't realise there was a second page and I was replying to the end of page one.

• Haha 1

Just now, LogicprObe said:

LOL!

I didn't realise there was a second page and I was replying to the end of page one.

read ya doofus ! 😛

• Like 1

On 15/02/2020 at 2:03 PM, Rybags said:

Given the lack of traffic, I reckon the entire site's forums could easily be trimmed down to about 10 or less sections (by trimmed I don't mean delete stuff but just merge together)

Or idea #2 - just pick the forums to keep then prevent new threads in the other ones, and reorder the forums page to reflect that, flagging the retired ones as archival.

On 15/02/2020 at 2:19 PM, Cybes said:

Given how many people are here, and the traffic on the various subs, you could legitimately combine everything into Chat (TGR) and Tech (everything else).

I was discussing a few options last night. 

Briefly, I think a few very basic groups would serve things well: TGR as it stands, Tech Talk for software and hardware, Gaming for the obvious, and Feedback for website/community issues.  Nostalgia says a Community events sub, but it's barely ever used (tho' that's not a unique comment).  Maybe a sub that's unmoderated (maybe for everything other than spam, and certain aspects of legality).

One idea is to just flatten everything down to those basic categories.  Another is to archive things and start 'fresh' with new categories.

Flattening is going to cause some weird congestion with stickies, tho' I'm inclined to just un- them and let them sink or swim, or un- them and put links to them all in a single announcement thread pinned forum-wide.

There's a lot of options. 

My biggest concern with flattening is where to put some things.  Say we basically keep the five subforums in 'The Geeks'.  Most of the other subforums easily fit into 'Tech Talk'.  But Photography is a slight outlier.  If 'Tech Talk' is 'enthusiast PC' where PC is taken in a broad sense of stationary and mobile computing, and 'The Green Room' is basically 'off topic' so non-IT stuff, like weather/twitter/politics/religion/cars, which side of the divide does photography fall?

On 16/02/2020 at 8:54 AM, fliptopia said:

Could split between pc tech and non pc tech for things like cameras and phones

Potentially

13 hours ago, Nich... said:

I was discussing a few options last night. 

Briefly, I think a few very basic groups would serve things well: TGR as it stands, Tech Talk for software and hardware, Gaming for the obvious, and Feedback for website/community issues.  Nostalgia says a Community events sub, but it's barely ever used (tho' that's not a unique comment).  Maybe a sub that's unmoderated (maybe for everything other than spam, and certain aspects of legality).

One idea is to just flatten everything down to those basic categories.  Another is to archive things and start 'fresh' with new categories.

Flattening is going to cause some weird congestion with stickies, tho' I'm inclined to just un- them and let them sink or swim, or un- them and put links to them all in a single announcement thread pinned forum-wide.

There's a lot of options. 

My biggest concern with flattening is where to put some things.  Say we basically keep the five subforums in 'The Geeks'.  Most of the other subforums easily fit into 'Tech Talk'.  But Photography is a slight outlier.  If 'Tech Talk' is 'enthusiast PC' where PC is taken in a broad sense of stationary and mobile computing, and 'The Green Room' is basically 'off topic' so non-IT stuff, like weather/twitter/politics/religion/cars, which side of the divide does photography fall?

Potentially

Didn't I already answer this one?

I still think you are going too flat with some things and others which can be rolled up you aren't looking at.

You still haven't told me what the issue was with the sections I already proposed?  Other than creative which you complained we didn't have enough creative types to sustain it.  Although it solves the photography section issue.

And my OCD likes 4 subs each in 2 sections.  It just seems... neat and balanced. 🙂

I think the best solution is going to be if we move everything to a single subforum called 'Chaos.smells'.  That way no-one feels a sense of FOMA, and we can bypass quirks in the 'show new content' view.

On 23/02/2020 at 12:51 AM, Nich... said:

But Photography is a slight outlier.

Combine Photography with Community events.

They are both potentially pretty diverse subjects, yes ?  In that way they could work together quite well

Edited by eveln
mistake.