Nich...

Off-topic

We are generally in favour of an easy-touch approach to moderation.  It's rare for us to PM a user and ask them to modify content, or it being objectionable enough to just hide or delete it immediately.

There are some threads that are just made for going off-topic, and some that seem to sprawl and wander back and forth a little, gyrating around a mostly understood central axis.  There are also some great threads that end up having nothing to do with anything they should, or were intended, because of, for want of a better description, user interactions and their history.

We're open to suggestions on how you'd like to have thread derailing handled.   A possible option is to fork disparate conversational threads into their own thread, or into another thread.

23 minutes ago, Nich... said:

A possible option is to fork disparate conversational threads into their own thread, or into another thread.

^Vote.  Judging exactly when that'd be warranted could be challenging on occasion, but many are very clear.

If the OP generator has no issue with the chosen topic diversifying then I don't see a problem tbh.

Too hot to touch, apparently

• Haha 1

Hey, I can cope with whatever happens.  I'm just saying that *if* you're going to take action, then ^that's the one I'd favour - it'd be a lot easier to search for a thread name containing "Trump" than knowing you have to go looking 4-5 pages from the end of whatever thread that was.

• Like 1

I don't mind threads meandering. I do get frustrated by the number that all come back to exactly the same arguments that have been made by the same people in umpteen different threads and end us always back tot he same point.

• Like 2