Nich...

Off-topic

We are generally in favour of an easy-touch approach to moderation.  It's rare for us to PM a user and ask them to modify content, or it being objectionable enough to just hide or delete it immediately.

There are some threads that are just made for going off-topic, and some that seem to sprawl and wander back and forth a little, gyrating around a mostly understood central axis.  There are also some great threads that end up having nothing to do with anything they should, or were intended, because of, for want of a better description, user interactions and their history.

We're open to suggestions on how you'd like to have thread derailing handled.   A possible option is to fork disparate conversational threads into their own thread, or into another thread.

23 minutes ago, Nich... said:

A possible option is to fork disparate conversational threads into their own thread, or into another thread.

^Vote.  Judging exactly when that'd be warranted could be challenging on occasion, but many are very clear.

If the OP generator has no issue with the chosen topic diversifying then I don't see a problem tbh.

Hey, I can cope with whatever happens.  I'm just saying that *if* you're going to take action, then ^that's the one I'd favour - it'd be a lot easier to search for a thread name containing "Trump" than knowing you have to go looking 4-5 pages from the end of whatever thread that was.

• Like 1

I don't mind threads meandering. I do get frustrated by the number that all come back to exactly the same arguments that have been made by the same people in umpteen different threads and end us always back tot he same point.

• Like 2

Just to be transparent, Nich and I have discussed this and we like the idea of forking when it seems needed. So you may sometimes see some fork on your thread in future.

Kniving is fun too, but probably not something we want to promote.  Spooning is obviously greatly encouraged. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chaos.Lady said:

Kniving is fun  [ . . . ]  Spooning is obviously greatly encouraged.

I am equal parts concerned and depressed. 😉

• Haha 1

So quiet here, does it matter much?

If I was to make a suggestion for change, it'd be to downsize the number of forums back to like it was originally, like about 8 or so.

• Like 2

On 5/25/2019 at 9:27 PM, Rybags said:

So quiet here, does it matter much?

If I was to make a suggestion for change, it'd be to downsize the number of forums back to like it was originally, like about 8 or so.

I agree.

Which would you like to see trimmed?  And by trimmed, we'd need somewhere to dump their contents.

On 2/7/2020 at 7:09 PM, familylawyerssydney said:

What do you think of coronavirus?

Divorce Lawyers Sydney

LOL!

A spamming laywer....................better call Saul!

edit - Nich..............you coulda fixed my spelling while you were at it!

Edited by LogicprObe
Removed link
  • Haha 1

My favourite bit is that it's for a commercial law firm that thinks this is a good place to fish for traffic via... linking coronavirus with spam and divorce?

• Like 1

Wow. Locking a thread . Why did that actually happen ? And can i ask for it to be unlocked ... please ?

1 hour ago, eveln said:

Wow. Locking a thread . Why did that actually happen ? And can i ask for it to be unlocked ... please ?

The thread has been a sniping match for the last 5 pages and the actual discussion was lost in about page 3. 

I can't see a reason to unlock it. 

5 hours ago, Chaos.Lady said:

The thread has been a sniping match for the last 5 pages and the actual discussion was lost in about page 3. 

I can't see a reason to unlock it. 

Ahh... you see sniping match I see people sorting shit out in a thread about us having a safe space  ... a place where it's okay to be human and have a thought that may not meet the PC requirement, but that is definitely not illegal by anyones' standards

On 04/01/2020 at 8:09 PM, Nich... said:

Which would you like to see trimmed?  And by trimmed, we'd need somewhere to dump their contents.

The tech areas are ghost towns.  Back before the heyday there were less of them, then we had offshoots like Apple and Mobile Tech.

IMO a good move would be amalgamation - it used to be frowned to put troubleshooting stuff in Tech Talk but really that forum should encompass both those things and probably Memory, Overclocking and some of the others.

Given the lack of traffic, I reckon the entire site's forums could easily be trimmed down to about 10 or less sections (by trimmed I don't mean delete stuff but just merge together)

Or idea #2 - just pick the forums to keep then prevent new threads in the other ones, and reorder the forums page to reflect that, flagging the retired ones as archival.

13 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Given the lack of traffic, I reckon the entire site's forums could easily be trimmed down to about 10 or less sections (by trimmed I don't mean delete stuff but just merge together)

Given how many people are here, and the traffic on the various subs, you could legitimately combine everything into Chat (TGR) and Tech (everything else).

6 hours ago, eveln said:

Ahh... you see sniping match I see people sorting shit out in a thread about us having a safe space  ... a place where it's okay to be human and have a thought that may not meet the PC requirement, but that is definitely not illegal by anyones' standards

I saw it as a safe space to bitch about other people having safe spaces.  It was a struggle to get it to be anything I'd call healthy or productive or approaching constructive.  YMMV. 

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

Or idea #2 - just pick the forums to keep then prevent new threads in the other ones, and reorder the forums page to reflect that, flagging the retired ones as archival.

2 hours ago, Cybes said:

Given how many people are here, and the traffic on the various subs, you could legitimately combine everything into Chat (TGR) and Tech (everything else).

I was discussing a few options last night. 

Briefly, I think a few very basic groups would serve things well: TGR as it stands, Tech Talk for software and hardware, Gaming for the obvious, and Feedback for website/community issues.  Nostalgia says a Community events sub, but it's barely ever used (tho' that's not a unique comment).  Maybe a sub that's unmoderated (maybe for everything other than spam, and certain aspects of legality).

One idea is to just flatten everything down to those basic categories.  Another is to archive things and start 'fresh' with new categories.

Flattening is going to cause some weird congestion with stickies, tho' I'm inclined to just un- them and let them sink or swim, or un- them and put links to them all in a single announcement thread pinned forum-wide.

There's a lot of options. 

My biggest concern with flattening is where to put some things.  Say we basically keep the five subforums in 'The Geeks'.  Most of the other subforums easily fit into 'Tech Talk'.  But Photography is a slight outlier.  If 'Tech Talk' is 'enthusiast PC' where PC is taken in a broad sense of stationary and mobile computing, and 'The Green Room' is basically 'off topic' so non-IT stuff, like weather/twitter/politics/religion/cars, which side of the divide does photography fall?

Photography could fall into the tech area.  You could widen Tech Talk out, but have a secondary sub for... dunno... artistic inclinations?  That could include stuff like photography, graphic design - you could even move audio in there, or just add a music descriptor.

So we are talking:

Box & Tools

Tech Talk

Gaming

Tech Creativity

Geeks

TGR

Thunderdome

Feedback & Community Events

Trademart

The whole she-bang in 7 sections.

If you wanted to split it out slightly more you could split Tech Talk into

Tech Talk

Tech Help

which I think would be nice.

---------------------

That would make the 8 sections:

Box & Tools

Tech Talk - Talking tech of all flavours.

Tech Help - I accidentally the whole thing.

Tech Creativity  - Tech with an artistic side.  Photography, Video, Music and all that poetic potential.

Gaming  - Win, lose or get eaten by a grue.

Geeks

The Green Room  - The pub on the corner.  Moderated with kittens and rainbows.

The Thunderdome  - Unmoderated discussion, argument and debate.  Enter at your own risk.

Feedback & Community Events  - Site discussion and gathering type social event things.

Trademart  - Buyer beware.

-------------------------

It should be a straight up merge and flatten I think.  Each section should have a pinned post explaining basically what goes in there.  That post can be left for however long, or just left perminent at the top.  It should be pretty straightforward tho.

Thoughts?

Community stuff could be sticked GR threads.

Though that said, I hate when forums sticky a dozen threads which then occupy the top half of every subject list page you scroll through.

Box & Tools

Tech Creativity  - Tech with an artistic side.  Photography, Video, Music and all that poetic potential.

Geeks

The Thunderdome  - Unmoderated discussion, argument and debate.  Enter at your own risk.

Feedback & Community Events  - Site discussion and gathering type social event things.

I like it!  Especially The Thunderdome.

Sure, you'd still get some with a trickle where 2 years worth fits on a page, but way easier to trawl through than what we have now.

And a big part of my reasoning for the amalgamation is thanks to the New Content function being messed with by the Invision developers.

Edited by Rybags

2 hours ago, Chaos.Lady said:

Box & Tools

Geeks

Ok, I can get behind that.  Given that the "Box & Tools" groups are almost certainly going to be way slow, maybe those should be listed below the "Geeks" section?