It has come to my attention that I dislike it when questions I have asked are ignored and that I have done exactly that at times to others (which I consider to be wrong as Matthew 7:12 implies) so I apologise and ask for forgiveness and invite questions of me to be asked here or in the original thread(s).

Sorry for not posting this earlier.

• Thanks 1

🙂

Too many questions, too many assertions, not enough  discussion, lack of real relevance, oh and a swallow can get to around 66MPH if well fed and no wind, in a dive   🙂

Cheers

32 minutes ago, TheManFromPOST said:

"What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?"

African or European swallow?

• Thanks 1

🙂

Depends, density altitude in East Africa would have bearing   🙂

What you need to realise DMB is that if your only contribution to other threads is "God is great" or some such just how motivated are others likely to be to engage in your threads ?

Cheers

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, chrisg said:

What you need to realise DMB is that if your only contribution to other threads is "God is great" or some such just how motivated are others likely to be to engage in your threads ?

I think that's just in the WOYM thread, because that is what was on my mind. I thought it was all right. Do you think I should have addressed what others were saying in that thread? What has it got to do with others posting in my threads?

Edited by NZT48
grammar fix
  • Like 1

No,

You rarely contribute to threads, and when you do it does not advance the conversation.

Cheers

I ignore questions when I feel my answers will just lead to more questions or it requires too much research for either my time or patience. Unless it's an educational assignment, of useful purpose, or I can answer off the top of my head, I tend to just let it go. I'm too burnt out to argue.

Posted (edited)

Why did you say the bible was problematic? Just a few major points would be interesting to start with. 

Edit: To clarify, I'm not being flippant. I'm really curious to know what exactly your version of being a Christian entails. 

Edited by fliptopia
To say I'm not being an arsehole taking cheap shots

22 hours ago, chrisg said:

No,

You rarely contribute to threads, and when you do it does not advance the conversation.

Cheers

19 hours ago, NZT48 said:

Ouch.

I don't know how you can be surprised by this.

You consider the source of your beliefs to be infallible, and un-falsifiable, and those beliefs hinge on absolutes, so there's no point discussing anything with you of any significance.

I think most people that respond to your threads have already accepted that you aren't *really* interested in changing your mind, and engage mainly as a form of amusement. 

You aren't taken seriously. You make it impossible to take you seriously. 

• Like 2

Where did I say The Bible was problematic?

9 hours ago, NZT48 said:

I was going off memory. Actually I did a search and you said it wasn't perfect which I wiuld consider problematic but maybe you think otherwise. 

10 hours ago, NZT48 said:

i have no pvroblem with the bible

it is a great work of fiction

3 hours ago, TheManFromPOST said:

i have no pvroblem with the bible

it is a great work of fiction

"based on a true story"

23 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

"based on a true story"

Much like Braveheart 😛

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Chaos.Lady said:

Much like Braveheart 😛

with gory death as the finale

and mel gibson perhaps having a bit of a messiah complex, but less popular with jews

• Haha 1

On 5/9/2019 at 5:08 AM, fliptopia said:

I was going off memory. Actually I did a search and you said it wasn't perfect which I wiuld consider problematic but maybe you think otherwise. 

Parts of The Bible contradict other parts of The Bible. It has been passed down by word of mouth and written and translated and edited by mere mortals. I believe The Bible is inspired by God and holy but not perfect.

48 minutes ago, NZT48 said:

Parts of The Bible contradict other parts of The Bible. It has been passed down by word of mouth and written and translated and edited by mere mortals. I believe The Bible is inspired by God and holy but not perfect.

Let's just ignore my own opinion that it's a bunch of fables, and work with the presupposition there is a God, and He had to tell people what He wanted them to do, rather than just hard-coding the desired behaviour like any competent coder would.

Seems pretty stupid of God to tell some dudes His message, and then never correct the mess it became after a few generations of fallible human memories, mistranslations, outright fabrication by bad agents, and misinterpretations by people who need clarifications.  I mean, *I* know that I have to stick around to answer questions about my code comments - you'd think the entity that made humans would be pretty familiar with their failings, let alone that being omniscient He'd a) *know* when it went pear-shaped; and b) have known ahead of time that it wouldn't work, and who/when it was going to be corrupted.

Unless, of course, the object of the exercise is that the humans should learn to use their own brains to figure out that it *is* inconsistent, if not outright contradictory at points, and that they should figure shit out for themselves?

3 hours ago, Cybes said:

Unless, of course, the object of the exercise is that the humans should learn to use their own brains to figure out that it *is* inconsistent, if not outright contradictory at points, and that they should figure shit out for themselves?

I've wondered if there is a god, if he puts out the religious texts to see who will persecute others in the face of inconsistent instructions. It seems like a very university psychology sort of experiment.

4 hours ago, NZT48 said:

So do you think there is another source that can be relied upon to help with this or is it all in the bible and you just have to make your best guess at which point makes more sense than the other? If you'd rather not make this a public discussion then feel free to pm me. 

• Like 1

I reckon if there was something written by a bloke that attracted followers it's ashes have long gone. People being what they are, any self-respecting-power-hungry disciple would have made sure of it. They probably thought shit like " be  good and kind ", was just too lame to work on the masses, needed to get more complex  for it to have a hope of 'selling'

"excellent"  does have more letters

If we have free will and choices, which we obviously do, then omniscience is impossible.

Many people have dedicated their lives to studying The Bible and its context and the relevant languages. I am not an expert in this regard.

I think reading The Bible can help a lot with getting to know Jesus and Jesus is "the way and the truth and the life" (as says John 14:6).