In times past I worked with a Chef/cook who would read the bible during his breaks. Kitchen people are pretty wacko anyway, but sometimes I used to think that perhaps he ( the chef dude ) shouldn't always be reading it at work ... wasn't producing obvious positive results re the guy's general wackiness

7 hours ago, NZT48 said:

If we have free will and choices, which we obviously do, then omniscience is impossible.

Many people have dedicated their lives to studying The Bible and its context and the relevant languages. I am not an expert in this regard.

I think reading The Bible can help a lot with getting to know Jesus and Jesus is "the way and the truth and the life" (as says John 14:6).

Why do we obviously have free will? 

9 hours ago, NZT48 said:

If we have free will and choices, which we obviously do, then omniscience is impossible.

Why do we obviously, and why thus obviously impossible?

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, NZT48 said:

Many people have dedicated their lives to studying The Bible and its context and the relevant languages. I am not an expert in this regard.

I think reading The Bible can help a lot with getting to know Jesus and Jesus is "the way and the truth and the life" (as says John 14:6).

there is a lot of bad stuff in there, permission to kill, rape, keep slaves

19 hours ago, NZT48 said:

Edited by TheManFromPOST

On 14/05/2019 at 12:21 AM, Nich... said:

and why thus obviously impossible?

um ... cos usually ... when we think we find or learn the answer to something we often never want to have that opinion proven wrong 😉  or at least not without drawing blood anyways

• Haha 1

I didn't think I would have to explain free will. The alternative is we are all robots and there is no life and no point to time. Are you really unaware of life and its choices? If so: I feel sorry for you. Omniscience means knowing everything that will happen. If there are other entities that make choices and have free will it is not possible to know what those choices will be and how free will will be used.

No,

That is not the only alternative.

We could as the Japanese poet once mused be a butterfly dreaming of being a butterfly, we could be living in a consensual reality from which we sometimes awaken, we could be nothing but imagination. Even if we accept that we actually are what we think we are what is to say that we are masters of our own destiny ? We could just be waiting for the wake-up trigger  🙂

I happen not to believe any of those but there is no demonstrable way to prove than any of them are not real.

Then of course we would have to discuss reality...

🙂

Cheers

5 hours ago, NZT48 said:

I didn't think I would have to explain free will.

Good. Cos you don't.

5 hours ago, NZT48 said:

I didn't think I would have to explain free will. The alternative is we are all robots and there is no life and no point to time. Are you really unaware of life and its choices? If so: I feel sorry for you. Omniscience means knowing everything that will happen. If there are other entities that make choices and have free will it is not possible to know what those choices will be and how free will will be used.

I think everyone has free will in that they are free to enact that will but ultimately you are a product of biology and experience and in any one moment you have to make a decision when given a choice but in that moment that decision will always be the same. It really has to be because in that moment that is the decision you made. 

If you knew ALL the factors you could perfectly predict what anyone would do. Now, of course, no one can possibly know anywhere near all the factors so you have to make decisions as if you had free will and live your life as if the choices you make could go either way but in the end you will do what you will do and believe what you will believe. It's really out of your control but all in your control. 

True freedom of choice is an illusion but you get to go through life with what your best guess at what free will would feel like at least. 

2 hours ago, fliptopia said:

no one can possibly know anywhere near all the factors

'Cept Gahd, of course.  But Him knowing it ahead of time apparently doesn't prevent Him being surprised by it anyway.  Pretty neat trick, that, but I suppose you can do that when you're omnipotent. 😜

5 hours ago, Cybes said:

'Cept Gahd, of course.  But Him knowing it ahead of time apparently doesn't prevent Him being surprised by it anyway.  Pretty neat trick, that, but I suppose you can do that when you're omnipotent. 😜

That's coz he's a god damned cheat... But can god damn itself? Well I guess so if it can do anything. I don't count the long weekend as a proper damning though. That's what you do with sand at the beach and you leave it over night and the dam is gone.