Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SacrificialNewt

Clive Palmer

Recommended Posts

I was listening to ABC radio this afternoon, and I heard a discussion regarding the views of people from the Parramatta area  regarding Clive Palmer.

 

The gist was that many people have seen his political ads, like the concepts depicted, but have no idea about Clive Palmer's history or the fact that he hasn't paid workers after his nickel mine collapse. They're also vague enough that they can't see past the promises he's making to realise what the consequences of delivering those promises would be.  I find it horrifying that the slimy weasel might gain seats on the backs of the naive, uneducated and ill-informed. 

 

Anyone want to add to or detract from my concerns?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 concern. 

 

Fucken Trump lite. Fuckeads, fuckeads everywhere

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Such is the problem with laws that individuals are distinct entities and can be totally seperate from corporate ones which in turn can be seperate from other corporate ones.

Such that a person can commit an utter cuntact and be untouchable.

 

The thing with minor parties and independents is that they can promise the earth, be as populist as they want because even if they got 100% of the contested vote in their electorate/s they'd still be incapable of delivering their promises.  As such, they can tell you they'll give you a duck that shits gold and there'll be no shortage of believers.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You find it horrifying that politicians are going to get elected by a mostly uninformed, if not illinformed, populate?

 

I find it horrifying that he made a big charity to disburse to Aboriginal communities as part of getting a lease over native title land without their permission, then folded the charity after it was found to eventually have disbursed no money and be virtually empty.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Nich... said:

You find it horrifying that politicians are going to get elected by a mostly uninformed, if not illinformed, populate?

 

I find it horrifying that he made a big charity to disburse to Aboriginal communities as part of getting a lease over native title land without their permission, then folded the charity after it was found to eventually have disbursed no money and be virtually empty.

 

Yes. I heard about that. The man has no scruples whatsoever.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Kimmo said, I hope we have a better informed electorate than the U.S. but I fear we don't.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nich... said:

You find it horrifying that politicians are going to get elected by a mostly uninformed, if not illinformed, populate?

 

I find it horrifying that he made a big charity to disburse to Aboriginal communities as part of getting a lease over native title land without their permission, then folded the charity after it was found to eventually have disbursed no money and be virtually empty.

But his Aborigional Candidate in WA is spruiking about how UAP wants to help aborigional health. FFS.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He is Trump Lite in a way. But, he likes to sit in the comfortable space between the two major parties, and cherry pick the policies of both.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SacrificialNewt said:

They're also vague enough that they can't see past the promises he's making to realise what the consequences of delivering those promises would be.

 

And how is that different from any of the majors?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Rybags said:

 

The thing with minor parties and independents is that they can promise the earth, be as populist as they want because even if they got 100% of the contested vote in their electorate/s they'd still be incapable of delivering their promises.  As such, they can tell you they'll give you a duck that shits gold and there'll be no shortage of believers.

Hhaha and to quote Leonid ... " How is that different from any of the majors ? "

 

Look at Dutton for instance all hard arse on immigration unless of course it's someone's nanny / governess or what ever ... they're all capable of shitty shennanigans ... how come Clive was able to set up this charity and get away with it ? Somebody musta let him ...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🙂

 

An honest politician is about as common as a Bigfoot in King's Park.

 

There are degrees though - Palmer is a con artist, pure and simple, he wants to buy a say in if not control of Australia and puts up $50M in the attempt whilst dodging his obligation to his former employees.

 

Just how he became wealthy enough to do that I neither know nor care, but he really is a Trumplite.

 

Simple - don't vote for the prick and make sure you do not via preferences.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Leonid said:

 

And how is that different from any of the majors?

 

 

 

Well, how are we going to stop China investing in our land or build a bullet train? The other parties may do a crap job at delivering on their promises, but Clive's are just unfeasible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, SacrificialNewt said:

 

 

Well, how are we going to stop China investing in our land or build a bullet train? The other parties may do a crap job at delivering on their promises, but Clive's are just unfeasible.

 

And how are we going to keep our economy afloat if construction takes a dive off a cliff after a double whammy of banks tightening lending rules post-ICAC and Labor’s proposed negative gearing changes?

 

You want “unfeasible”. Go talk to small business owners.

 

My company’s monthly revenue grew several tens of % this FY. The bank can see a predictable amount each month landing in our accounts.

 

Before ICAC I could get a 50k overdraft without any worries. Now I have to provide personal guarantees and stake my grandma’s liver. 

 

I know of several businesses in construction that have gone have gone to the wall because of this.

Edited by Leonid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure just what argument you put up there Ev.

 

Foreign investment is controllable, personally I'm to a degree relaxed about it, money crosses borders and sometimes countries simply sieze it.

 

Not likely to happen in Australia but not something to knot the knickers 🙂

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not chrisg ?

People are ready to back the major party of their choice cos well they figure it's the "devil you know" perhaps ... nfi ... but try an Independant ? Ooooo no  can't do that ! ...I wouldn't and don't trust either Shorten or Morrison like EVAR DUDE  at least backing an Independent might make either Shorten or Morrison work more for their ( our ) money. And whilst Mikaelia Cash is allowed to walk the corridors of Parliament unsullied, I want them all to work pretty bloody hard for our money

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You want more unfeasible?

 

🙂

 

Off course you do!

 

We produce 1.5% of the world’s greenhouse gases. The argument of it costing more not to do anything than to do something, neatly ignores the fact that China has more coal power coming online in the next 2 years than Australia’s entire grid and that going from 1.5% to 1% of total will be an imperceptible blip give CO2 ‘s average lifetime in the atmosphere is 17-30 years.

 

You want ignorant voters and unfeasible policies? There ya go. 

 

My choice this election is between a bloke who makes love to coal in parliament and squibbed on standing up for democracy because a nation that executes our citizens might get upset, and someone who is as trustworthy as a rattlesnake in a crib, plus is in thrall of non-solutions to non-problems.

Edited by Leonid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

producing 1.5% is still a contribution

 

i'm sure if your outgoings were taxed an extra 1.5% you'd be pissing about the impost

 

mathematics doesn't need an opinion

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Case in point 🙂

 

You wanna cause an economic impact for zero benefit?

 

In the meantime, something that would actually be useful - like say including dental fully into Medicare, takes a backseat because we have a need to piss money up a wall because we signed an agreement nobody other than a few inconsequential states is keeping to.

 

I repeat again: China will replace triple what we cut out in in a fifth of the time it takes us to cut it.

 

We will not be making even a quarter of a bee’s dick difference to climate.

 

And yet uninformed voters will back an unfeasible goal with a bad policy and an even worse government. And Clive’s bad? Sheesh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Leonid said:

 

And how are we going to keep our economy afloat if construction takes a dive off a cliff after a double whammy of banks tightening lending rules post-ICAC and Labor’s proposed negative gearing changes?

 

You want “unfeasible”. Go talk to small business owners.

 

My company’s monthly revenue grew several tens of % this FY. The bank can see a predictable amount each month landing in our accounts.

 

Before ICAC I could get a 50k overdraft without any worries. Now I have to provide personal guarantees and stake my grandma’s liver. 

 

I know of several businesses in construction that have gone have gone to the wall because of this.

 

 

Considering how many people were given loans they could not afford, I'm not so shocked or upset that you can't get an overdraft without absolute proof you can pay it back if you used it.

 

What is the biggest threat to small businesses? Big businesses. Big businesses who can get their goods at a fraction of the price and their taxes seriously subsidised so they can open more stores and bankrupt their smaller neighbours by selling their already cheaper stock underprice until the competition is crippled.  Oh the joys of capitalism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SacrificialNewt said:

Considering how many people were given loans they could not afford, I'm not so shocked or upset that you can't get an overdraft without absolute proof you can pay it back if you used it.

 

That's the thing. I could always pay it back. It was just a predictable knee-jerk reaction in the opposite direction.

 

2 minutes ago, SacrificialNewt said:

What is the biggest threat to small businesses? Big businesses.

 

Maybe in small convenience stores. Not in IT.

 

3 minutes ago, SacrificialNewt said:

Big businesses who can get their goods at a fraction of the price and their taxes seriously subsidised so they can open more stores and bankrupt their smaller neighbours by selling their already cheaper stock underprice until the competition is crippled.  Oh the joys of capitalism.

 

It's easy to blame capitalism and big business, but who takes their wallet to go shop in cheaper supermarkets instead of neighbourhood small grocery businesses?

 

You do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Leonid said:

 

That's the thing. I could always pay it back. It was just a predictable knee-jerk reaction in the opposite direction.

 

Maybe you can, but how many can't?

 

12 minutes ago, Leonid said:

 

Maybe in small convenience stores. Not in IT.

 

Yes - and there are a lot of small businesses who sell goods and food. 

 

12 minutes ago, Leonid said:

 

 

It's easy to blame capitalism and big business, but who takes their wallet to go shop in cheaper supermarkets instead of neighbourhood small grocery businesses?

 

You do.

 

Why do people do this? Generally because they can't afford not to save money where they can. They're not paid enough not to. Where do small businesses do better? In the rich end of town where people pay for convenience, quality, or something different. Pity about the rent that excludes most people from doing business is such areas. I note that a Woolies Metro has opened in Kirribilli.  I wonder how long it will take for the mini supermarket and deli with expensive prices a few shops down to go under? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SacrificialNewt said:

Maybe you can, but how many can't?

 

That's not the point champ. When there's a problem (correctly identified by ICAC), the solution isn't a knee-jerk the other way.

 

2 minutes ago, SacrificialNewt said:

Yes - and there are a lot of small businesses who sell goods and food.

 

Yes. And there used to be lots of companies who outsourced part-time receptionists who could operate a typewriter at 40 words per minute.

 

3 minutes ago, SacrificialNewt said:

Why do people do this? Generally because they can't afford not to save money where they can.

 

I do it for convenience. Because convenience stores are inconvenient.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🙂

 

Interesting thread drift....

 

The banks were way too lax Leo, you know it, I know it. Revenue is one thing, profit after tax is another, the margin demonstrates your ability to repay a loan, banks should properly not look only at cashflow to decide upon lending.

 

Endless construction is not a good thing for the planet, nor is endless mining but people seem intent upon both. We've seen in past years what happens in various places. A huge number of unfinished high rises in Bangkok,  the mining crash in W.A. BHP facing a huge suit in Brazil, and yes, an atmosphere you could cut with a knife in Beijing.

 

China are however doing a lot about the last and not just giving lip service,, Australia needs to learn from that, even though our economy is minuscule by comparison.

 

The fact is that China has gone through the same development phase as every other emergent economy in the past, growth leads to pollution. The Industrial Revolution blackened entire cities in the U.K. they have since mostly been cleaned up but that has happened a lot of places, China and other emergent nations are going down the same path.  It is pretty hard to tell a billion or so people not to do what you did, might work by admitting what you did was wrong but I doubt it.

 

I could discuss this all night but I do need to do some work, however by-the-by, I never have voted for a major party, lying thieves on both sides in the main, but no way would I ever vote for shithead Palmer.

 

A last thought: Have a look at what N.Z. has done to address political balance - interesting model.

 

Cheers

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Leonid said:

 

That's not the point champ. When there's a problem (correctly identified by ICAC), the solution isn't a knee-jerk the other way.

 

There needs to be a protocol, and if you're subject to the paperwork and red tape like everyone else, then that's just life. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

leo, you see "business" from the bubble of a niche supplier in i.t.

 

i have a similarly luxurious gig in a boutique general practice where "bulk bill" is a non-event, although "zero gap" at my discretion is a personal choice for patients who are on hard times but have previously paid like everyone else and are my professional responsibility

 

the difference seems to be that i have also done enough  time in the public system, where even in this well heeled (and well healed) locale there are people who are screwed by the liberal protocols, and who have tony abbott to stand up for them, meaning they have no representation

 

 

people like you and me will do well under (and even despite) a labor government because we have the flexibility and intelligence and chutzpah to make it happen

 

as much as i appreciate that people generally vote for self interest, i tend to consider adverse affects of therapies, rather than the 1% cure rate if i apply a serious poison to a sick recipient

 

the liberals are medicine for the 1%

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×