Sign in to follow this  
Dasa

H80 test with water in\out temp

The discussion popped up on another forum about why AIO don't perform as well as some might expect and the common thought was low water flow but that's just a small part of it.

A mate I play games with was good enough to send me his old H80 to play around with and here are the results.

6700K@4.6GHz 1.375vcore Prime95 FTT 16k
Corsair H80 Lapped with 220CFM Delta and old fan with guts removed used as shroud.
TIM is Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

Ambient 17-18c
Water Idle 18c
Rad inlet 23.2c
Rad outlet 19.8c

Idle
CPUTIN 20c
Core\Package 15-22c
Load
CPUTIN 42c
Core\Package 88-92c <Hits 88c within about one second of prime95 load

So the low flow rate is only adding ~3c to temps with the water being 3.4c hotter after it has been through the water block but this is only a 6700K using ~150w not at 9900K.
With the 220CFM delta the rad is ~3c within ambient which is about as good as it gets even with a custom loop so a bigger rad or more airflow wont help.

So the problem is in the mount and bad IHS contact guess I will see if I can mod the waterblock for increased mount pressure and maybe delid my CPU.

Remount with washers between backplate and MB for increased mount pressure, also used a little less TIM.
Ambient 20-21c
Water Idle 20.5c
Rad inlet 27.2c
Rad outlet 23.6c

Idle
CPUTIN 22c
Core\Package 17-23c
Load
CPUTIN 42c
Core\Package 86-88c <Hits 85c within about one second of prime95 load

The CPU core delta shows that the CPU temp has dropped by about 8c after the remount with increased pressure.

Now that we have water flow rate out of the way let's see how the stock fans perform

Fan's off Phone is reporting ~15dBA
Idle fan noise With h80 set to low Phone is reporting ~17dBA <Clearly audible but quiet.
Idle fan noise With h80 set to medium Phone is reporting ~24dBA <Annoyingly loud.
Stock fan's@ medium speed using corsair AIO speed control Phone is reporting ~38dBA (Fairly loud similar annoyance to the Radeon VII)
Corsar 2x120x25mm 92CFM@2500 RPM 7.7mm/H20,39dBA – Phone is reporting ~47dBA
Detla 1x120x38mm, 220.01CFM@4600 RPM, 65.0dBA – Phone is reporting 63-65dBA

Stock fans 2X120~2500RPM
Ambient 21-22c
Water Idle 23.2c
Rad inlet 30.2c
Rad outlet 26.5c

Idle
CPUTIN 29c
Core\Package 20-27c
Load
CPUTIN 46c
Core\Package 89-92c <Hits 85c within about one second of prime95 load

Stock fan's@ medium speed using corsair AIO speed control
Ambient 21-22c
Water Idle 24.5c
Rad inlet 33.3c
Rad outlet 29.5c

Idle
CPUTIN 29c
Core\Package 20-27c
Load
CPUTIN 51c
Core\Package 94-96c <Hits 85-90c within a few seconds second of prime95 load

Obviously this is where the cheap little rad struggles with lower fan speeds.
The rad is only 15FPI by my count and has 12 water channels, apparently it is supposed to be closer to 20FPI so there was obviously some margin for error in there production.
The rad is 42mm thick but the core is only 38mm leaving just 2mm between the fan and the fins.

Edited by Dasa

It seems the washers help with mount pressure give some c.  It sounds like rad is the biggest down fall?   Delid should do tons, id say probably a good 7c.   I did the razer way but see there is some cool delid kits for a few bucks on ebay used. 

How you liking the VII?  Did you get it under water?   Seen some crazy bench scores from some with those beasts. 

It is handling the new monitor nicely although some games still drop below 60FPS I really need to get it on water but have not yet contacted a laser cutter to get a mount made.

Could probably use zip ties on the current blocks but  with soft HBM I don't want to risk crushing it with uneven mount pressure.

I could probably cut out a plate that would sit over the top of the current one that would work ok if need be.

maybe use thermal pad over the hbm area and regular tim for the core area.   Maybe that would help from chipping ... maybe not though lol

Sent a email of to the laser cutter today but decided I think I am going to have a go at drilling holes in my old Storm G5 pure silver CPU waterblock and mount it only trouble is the hoses will be close to the PSU in the mATX case.