Sign in to follow this  
wajubalo

Upgrading a older 2013 PC, with GTX 2080ti?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to upgrade my machine, so I can run games on my 4k TCL HDR TV (at native resolution). Aiming for stable 60fps at 4k (not ray tracing) . I'm not a competitive gamer, rather into cinematic games a few hours a week after work or on weekends (ie. Witcher 3, Assassins Creed Odyssey, GTA V etc). My current rig games at 1080p at around 45fps on very high settings which is quite playable.  But now with my new TV, I want to upgrade to enjoy the full fidelity of my 4k 65 inch display. 

I want to avoid having to buy an entire new rig if possible

Below are my current specs.

My current specs are: 

i5-3570k @3.4ghz on stock cooler. 
Motherboard: Z77X-UD5H
Ram: 16 gb memory
GPU: GeForce GTX 970
PSU: Antec 850watt PSU (forgot the model, but it was well reviewed and bought only last year when I had a 1080ti before I returned it when RTX cards were announced a day after).  

Note: I have a spare Sythe Mugen 5 Rev B lying around, and would like to attach this to the current CPU, perhaps overclock to 4.5ghz to avoid having to upgrade the CPU.

My thoughts were to buy a RTX 2080 or 2080ti, and just overclock the CPU with the cooler I have sitting around. My budget is around 2000 AUD. I have considered building an entire new rig, but would prefer to avoid this. What are re your thoughts on just upgrading the existing rig with a decent OC to the CPU? 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by wajubalo

The CPU should be capable of 60FPS in most games with a little OC and 1600c9 RAM. You probably wont get 4.5GHz without a K model due to locked multi.

2080 will be ok for 4k in some games but others really need the ti.

Thanks Dasa, I edited the post - indeed I have a k model. 

I just installed the cooler and will begin tweaking. Does anyone recommend a guide for this particular CPU and Mobo for optimal OC? 

Thanks!

Good result I had to delid my 3770K and watercool it to get 4.5GHz stable but then it was a real dud chip that only did 4.2GHz before delid.

Had to up the voltage pretty high before it was stable. 1.37 volts. Whereas most guides seem to recommend 1.35 for this chip and mobo. Temps pretty decent though. Going to run a few more tests. So far so good. 

I just ordered a GTX 2080, let's see how things go. 

The OC to the CPU really made a big difference in running Zelda BOTW in CEMU emulator (a very CPU intensive emulator). Before OC, was getting 30-45 fps at 1080p and a very unplayable 20ish fps at 4k. 

After OC I get a consistent 70 fps at 1080p, and with OC, I can even play it at 4k with a stable 30-40 fps, without stutter. 

First time I've really overclocked, and it's given so much life to my system with very little investment. In fact none, as this cooler was just lying around from a friend's old rig. 

Edited by wajubalo

If the CPU can handle 70FPs + at 720p then it can handle 70FPS+ at 4k (not including emulators) and you just need the GPU to go with it now .

What speed is your RAM running?

Edited by Dasa

The ram was running at 1333mhz before I tinkered . Now it’s 1666mghz .

i can get the cpu to 4.6ghz stable but runs at 90 degrees at load. 4.5ghz barely see a performance difference and it’s way cooler. 

With just this overclock I went from 1080p assassins creed odyssey 45fps very high settings to 57 FPS average on my 970.

fingers crossed the 2080 let’s me do 4K on the big 65 inch! 

Almost bought the 2080ti but the price difference was too steep.

Question while overlclocking, getting a strange occurrence where it is stable and at reasonable temps for hours, then I come back to it run the game and it crashes.

I then  find I up voltage and it becomes stable again, then the same happens, it’s as if I am experiencing rapid degradation.

By CPU degradation I mean   my CPU wants MORE voltage to reach a certain frequency than before. I heard if this before, but nit over just a few hours to a day. My temps are also relatively decent, around 70 at load.

but I have to keep creeping the voltage up eventually it’ll be unsustainable.

any advice?

Edit: seems the degradation only happens for clocks of 4.5ghz and up. I can maintain 4.4ghz at a reasonable voltage (1.35] but the 4.5ghz continuously degrades... initially stab,e at 1.36... and after degradation now only stable at 1.56 volts, which would probably eventually degrade in a matter of hours .

going to sit on 4.4ghz for now. Seems to be the sweet spot.

Edited by wajubalo

You've hit the limitation of your CPU at 4.5Ghz. Every CPU is different and has different overclocking binning. A quick google and it seems most i5-3570k don't get past 4.5Ghz.

Edited by Jeruselem

Had a similar problem with my 2600K it was stable overnight for prime95 at 4.9GHz but after days of use it would become less stable needing clocks dropped further and further but leave it at 4.4GHz for a while and it was stable at 4.9GHz again for a few days.

That's very illuminating guys. @Dasa I find it so interesting that after you let the CPU "rest" at lower clock speeds it can then revert back to the higher clocks. 

Sitting at 4.4ghz now, so far so good. Had one crash, but I think that was related to me overclocking my 970 too far. 

Still waiting for the 2080 to arrive!

Update:

received the RTX 2080 just installed and now we’re in business. 

Off the bat, 4k Assassins Creed Odyssey at Max settings gets me around 45-50fps.

This was expected.

if I turn down anti aliasing to medium,  and a few small things to very high like fog, volumetric clouds etc - then I hit around 60fps.

Nice and crispy on the 4K display. So far I’m happy with the OC to the CPU and the GPU choice.

Thanks for the advice. 

Edited by wajubalo

15 hours ago, wajubalo said:

Thanks for the advice. 

Funny enough, this exact 'struggle' is why I advise people look into 1440p gaming over 4k.

I have eye problems, so I'm hardly the authority on 'crispy gaming experiences', but even my mates with 20/20 vision say that unless you're going over 32", then 1440p is already pretty flawless.

From what I can tell I agree.

I can see 4K is NICER when you want to pause and look at the scenery, but the second you start actually moving and gaming, I find it hard to discern (and mates tell me, its nearly identical, wouldnt know unless you A to B'd it)