wajubalo

Upgrading a older 2013 PC, with GTX 2080ti?

13 hours ago, Dasa said:

If you can delid the 3770K and stick some Liquid metal under there you will get a better OC out of it before it overheats. I had a bitch of a time getting mine off though and almost killed the CPU.

There are easier compounds to work with than liquid metal, which still noticeably better than intels paste.

Grizly Cryonaught jumps to mind.

I'm well aware liquid metal is ANOTHER significant jump, but it's just a risk I'm not willing to take 😛

Posted (edited)

3770K will increase CPU performance in ACO by ~10% going by this

https://www.dsogaming.com/pc-performance-analyses/assassins-creed-odyssey-pc-performance-analysis/

AC-Odyssey-CPU.png

Liquid metal under the IHS is fairly safe but I wouldn't be in a hurry to use it elsewhere. Although I am tempted to try it on my Radeon VII. (I also spread it over one of the resistors on my GTX1070 to increase it's powertune %)

Temps on my 3770K dropped by ~20c after the delid.

Edited by Dasa

29 minutes ago, Dasa said:

Liquid metal under the IHS is fairly safe but I wouldn't be in a hurry to use it elsewhere.

Yep, don't forget my Carnage.

Anodized alloy should technically be Gallium safe..... however turns out they Anodize BEFORE routing the heatpipe channels.... so.... exposed alloy in between there.... yeah.... 

Any idea how liquid metal reacts with 99.9975 % pure silver?

Posted (edited)

Liquid metal is a no no with Aluminum, but it seems OK with copper (from what I have seen with youtubers playing with the stuff on their hardware). But I don't know how it reacts with say Silver or even Gold.

From this rather scientific paper, ... there's a reaction

http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.392.82&rep=rep1&type=pdf

Edited by Jeruselem

I'll check out some more youtube videos on delidding... I'll probably go the razerblade route (since I don't want to spend the $50 on a delid kit, doesn't make sense here given the price I paid for the CPU). 

3 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

Liquid metal is a no no with Aluminum

Anodized is fine.

Raw, or simply polished, is not.

For delid, you will need offsets if you do the direct die but you could do the float or even seal the IHS back on too.  It was a fun project but scary since I had only had mine for a short time, at that time.   Below is my results, with air cooling then lapping the heatsink later.... eventually I put it under water, not sure where those results are now for water.   With the razor, note that it takes some force and if it suddenly slides in, it can chip the core.   Your temps seem good but could probably get more as far as OC afterward. 

Id check ebay for a tool too:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Delid-tool-for-Skylake-Ivy-Bridge-Devils-Canyon-Haswell/322857845496?hash=item4b2bd3c2f8:g:9QQAAOSwTM5YxLRy&frcectupt=true

Is there a big difference using  liquid metal like thermal grease vs liquid metal?

ie. Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut (thermal grease) vs liquid metal (Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut)? 

Posted (edited)

I like to use non-conductive paste.  Liquid metal will give the better results but have to be careful.   I like Gelid GC-Extreme because it is a bit thicker than most and I dont have to worry if I spill some. Kryonaut usually performs the same or a degree better than Gelid. Thermal grease usually has some curing time too (not all)  but this is usually low amount of time.  

Older chart but shows the difference.  There many more out there but this has a chart that is easy to read:

https://play3r.net/reviews/cooling/thermal-paste-comparison-2017-what-is-the-best-thermal-paste-2017/

Notes are good in this one, again older review but many of the same products:

https://overclocking.guide/thermal-paste-roundup-2015-47-products-tested-with-air-cooling-and-liquid-nitrogen-ln2/6/

Toms has several pages for air or water, plus pressure mounts;

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/thermal-paste-comparison,5108-9.html

Edited by gamble

I found this Chinese delid tool (see video) for $8. Bought the Kryonaut and we'll see how we go. Will update when I get the goods/results. 

1 hour ago, wajubalo said:

Bought the Kryonaut 

Good call. I wouldn't go metal on your first ever exposed Die adventure.

Posted (edited)

Haha, this adventure has just got much more interesting. 

Just snagged a 2080ti at ridiculously below its market price here GeForce rtx 2080ti 

So a little background:

I’m currently in Taipei, Taiwan (an Aussie expat here) and on their equivalent of eBay (it’s basically a yahoo branded eBay) I just won a bid  on a 2080ti for 27,900nt. That’s around $1299 aud, only a little more than I purchased by 2080.

Sounded too good to be true, but I’ve just come and gone from the store to pick it up! Installed and it’s working!

The great thing about Taiwan is their return policy -  the 2080 I bought can also be returned no questions asked within ten days too, so long the box and plastic wrap is all intact. 

Hopefully nothing goes wrong. Although second hand the 2080ti still has 3 years left on its warranty and a 7 day guarantee from the store I bought it from.

Sweet!

Edited by wajubalo
  • Like 1

Yikes, 2080ti goes for like around 2K normally in Australia.

It does here too. The deal seems too good to be true, usually is. I haven’t installed it yet. We shall see! 

All lined up and pictured below

GTX 970

RTX 2080

RTX 2080ti 

2080 is still in its plastic wrap in case I needed to return it. 

2080ti seems to work as new. Letting the Nvidia GPU scanner do its thing now. 

5332CA62-216E-427A-8F8B-6B4A79E35A8B.jpeg

Hey guys!

Officially completed my first delid adventure. Wasn't all smooth, but the temps look significantly better (at least when CPU is under load).

The delid tool I used was fairly straight forward, but it also severely scratched my IHS which may have impacted my final outcome.

What I found most challenging was  spreading the Kryonaught. It was extremely fiddly, especially with the included spatula. As I spread, it felt as if I kept removing the paste. After about 20 minutes, I ended up settling on a less than ideal application. I also didn't re-glue the IHS back onto the die and just used the mobo and HSF to keep it on.

Results:

i73770k overclocked at 4.5ghz

Before delid average temperatures in degrees Celsius: 

Idle: 40 

Load: 89  

After delid

Idle: 40 

Load: 79

Idle temperatures haven't improved at all, but temperatures at load show a ~10 degree improvement, within expected range. I probably could 

Do these temperatures seem alright? Would the scratched IHS be a big deal in the long run? 

Thanks again guys for coming along with me on this delid journey!

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Looks decent If you lapped the IHS and applied liquid metal you may shave close to another 10c off.

Especially if something can be done to increase mount pressure a little.

With the delid, I can get a stable OC for 4.6ghz, averages around 74 degrees in intense 2 hour gaming session Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Stress test has it getting to around 90 degrees though.

I'll probably leave it at 4.5ghz. 

This was fun and I look forward to doing this again when I eventually upgrade the mobo and cpu. 

Good deal, not bad results!  How is that 2080ti, looked like a great deal you got. 

Posted (edited)

@gamble  incredible deal! I’m incredibly lucky. I was already satisfied with the 2080 I bought (now returned).

Given the price I picked this guy up, I am loving the 2080ti. The improvement over the 2080 is significant jump. It overclocks well too, with core clock at 2100mhz using the Nvidia oc scanner. Setup was easy. 

It’s a beast of a card and the only game it struggles to have all settings dialed up at 60fps 4K is Assassins Creed Odyssey (although after some research most benchmark results shows this game is fairly poorly optimized).

I just finished Metro Exodus with this card and it was a very immersive experience at 4K with RTX on (highly recommend this game). The RTX implementation here is also a great show case and runs quite well with some very atmospheric  lighting btw, perhaps the best I’ve seen in any game ! This YouTube video with commentating shows RTX before and after in metro quite well. 

As for the delid, well I scratched the IHS pretty bad (see photo) with the delid tool, but my temps have improved around 10 degrees which was within my expectations so I’m happy. If I opened her up and made less of a mess with the thermal paste or used liquid metal I’m sure I’d get even better results.

2F3690DF-07A5-416D-9EAD-50A85AB8704E.jpeg

Edited by wajubalo

I love metro, Im in the middle of it now as I just got it a month ago but only limited time to play lately.  I do agree that it's a game that can use ray without it making it run bad... for BFV I leave it off.  Glad to hear you liking your updates 🙂