Sign in to follow this  
chrisg

Has editing died ?

🙂

"Talking the world by storm" is precisely what I'm talking about.

Those sort of typos have become so common that oftentimes an entire article is reduced to utter confusion or nonsense.

Punctuation is important, in my opinion,  but not as common a means by which  a sentence can be completely misinterpreted or simply cannot be interpreted.

Cheers

9 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

if you use long billions, what do you call 10^9 ?

Usually a thousand million, because it's rare people know what a milliard is.

47 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

if you use long billions, what do you call 10^9 ?

Used English/long billions until high school, myself; that would be "thousand million".

More interesting is when you refer to "million billion".

19 hours ago, eveln said:

so what you just ignore my reference to Stephen and his desire to loosen the  constrictions of language lore  ... typical pedant

what we have here is a grammatical version of the parsley stuck in someone's teeth dilemma.  is it ultimately more respectful to speak up or to feign ignorance? 

choosing wrongly can mean you end up causing offence.  as such, i am sometimes less likely to correct someone the more i like/respect them.  which is why i have grit my teeth and suffered in silence over this "per say" bullshit of yours for fricken years eveln 😛.  that, and for all the reasons put forth by Stephen Fry in your linked video.  unless the person has a specific interest or cause to care, most of the time, it just doesnt matter.  but if Kimmo hadnt jumped on it, in this moment of perfect opportunity for good-natured humour, i certainly would have.  so there!

56 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

what we have here is a grammatical version of the parsley stuck in someone's teeth dilemma.  is it ultimately more respectful to speak up or to feign ignorance? 

I thought Kimmo might have the nouse to see it as me not caring and giving Fry's reasoning as my, um, excuse for typing phonetically  . ... but then if you look up the meaning of " pedant ", it says those who like to correct grammar etc . And that " like " inspired my curt response

56 minutes ago, @~thehung said:

choosing wrongly can mean you end up causing offence.  as such, i am sometimes less likely to correct someone the more i like/respect them.  which is why i have grit my teeth and suffered in silence over this "per say" bullshit of yours for fricken years eveln 😛.  that, and for all the reasons put forth by Stephen Fry in your linked video.  unless the person has a specific interest or cause to care, most of the time, it just doesnt matter.  but if Kimmo hadnt jumped on it, in this moment of perfect opportunity for good-natured humour, i certainly would have.  so there!

Hah !

gritting teeth is not good, you might need a dental visit  ... per say per say  per say :P ~

On 5/22/2019 at 7:10 PM, eveln said:

those who like to correct grammar etc

The only kind of situation I can imagine where I'd actually enjoy doing it would be if the correctee had made it into a petard to be hoisted by. 

Once again, @~ has totally nailed it: looking at the parsley in your teeth is worse. 

22 hours ago, Kimmo said:

22 hours ago, Kimmo said:

... looking at the parsley in your teeth is worse. 

... Would never happen. I don't do parsley.

5 hours ago, Kimmo said:

Yep, disappointment, alright... How does this get published? It's not a word. 

How is it not a word?

jesus Chrisg, youre somehow retrospectively making things worse! 

aussie Huffington Post 2017: Hummus: We Taste Tested Six Brands From The Supermarket

1. Obela smooth classic hommus

Judge 3: So this is our first one. How we do think this one looks?

Judge 2: It looks nice and creamy. It smells very fresh.

Judge 3: It looks really smooth. It has an okay colour. ButI can't get him. [<---- WTF ?] See? It was hard to pick up. It was hard to get on my cracker. It smells good. I think I know what this one is.

J2: I really enjoyed that. Creamy and fresh. Not too oily but not that gritty texture. Very mild flavour in a good way.

J1: Not too garlicky.

"You can really could eat a lot of this one I reckon. You could sit there and scoop and scoop and scoop.