Chaos.Lady

3D Printer and drawing software - advice would be nice

So I'm getting a 3D printer.  I think I've got it nailed down to a resin printer and I really like the Anycubic Photon (at the moment).

I'm still looking for reasonable 3D drawing software.  I'm currently using Blender but I haven't touched it in years and am still very VERY slowly remembering where everything is and how to use it.

Any hints, tips, trick and general advice any of our resident 3D resin printer boffins might be able to provide?

I'll be curious to see what you think of it, especially their slicer software.

If you want to make decorative models (be it anything from fancy doorknobs to DnD minis) then blender is still the go.

If you're making engineering components then I use freecad for most of my stuff. Autodesk fusion is fancier and more robust, but it's also expensive if you don't have a student licence.

I'm mainly going to be making minis for board games (i'm going to hit all the Gloomhaven summons first up), so I'm thinking Blender will be the preferred option.

My Anycubic Photon arrived, so I'm gonna be setting up over the next week or two and having a play.  I'll let you know how I go. 🙂

From what I can see of the slicer, it's very VERY light on features, but I'm hoping it will do the job.  From what I can see so far, it seems to be able to auto add supports and skirts, but I'm not entirely confident how well it will work yet.  Especially since I will be importing Blender files to be sliced.  I know there are a couple of alternatives if the anycubic one is awful, however I would prefer to use the manufacturer one if possible as I'd assume it would get the best results.

• Like 1

Let me know how well sealed the tank is. The main reason I'm curious about the slicer (and alternative slicers) is that I don't have any windows machines any more and I've heard mutterings that the photons linux support is pretty bad.