Sign in to follow this  
fredzfrog

Whats the worst way you've connected to the interwebs?

Posted (edited)

So i've had a few rather janky internet connections in the past..

When I first mved to Melbourne in the early 2000's, I moved in with 2 atomicans and we shared a dialup connection! 

Later on when I moved to my own place, i had dialup again, but no dedicated modem, so it went from the wall, to a laptop that had a built in modem, to a pcmcia network card, then crossover network cable to my main pc. I think an old freeware program made this possible, analoguex's proxy. http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/Network/proxy/Freeware.htm looks like the site is near abandoned now. 

Thankfully in the years since then, i've had propper adsl, adsl2+ and fttn connections, but moving for work has left me with a need for a new cobbled together system.

Today i'm living in an area with no phone lines, and really spotty 4g coverage.

My solution was to get a USB 4g wifi dongle, plugged into a usb wall charger, with an external antenna hanging in the window. Im getting a rather constant connection, but the speeds do go up and down. The extra $15/month for the sim card added to my plan doesnt really affect me too much, and the dongle and antenna only cost $60 all up on ebay. 

So, whats the craziest way you've connected? 

Edited by fredzfrog

Posted (edited)

Traveling in india with a roaming (indian) sim card, that's painful.

I did have 2GB international roaming on my Telstra SIM card for emergencies

Edited by smadge1
  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Nothing more crazy than a 56k modem which only ran at 6kps maximum because the copper in the street was pair gained and went down when it rained. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah,

Sharing a 56K modem in the days of ICS on Win98 between three computers did teach you patience   🙂

Cheers

• Like 1

I can honestly say the worst way I've ever connected to the Internet was using the guest WiFi at the Best Western hotel in Hong Kong.

My mobile had crappy reception regardless of where in the building I went, and the provided WiFi would just drop my devices randomly. Either the iPhone I had at the time, my MacBook Pro, or my Android tablet, didn't matter, it was just flaky as heck.

Obviously my first Internet connection was dialup, it might have even been using a 28.8k modem, but it's not fair to say that's the "worst" because that's all there was at the time. The above experience was in 2015, and I felt it wasn't really acceptable. The WiFi in the McDonald's across the road was better, and free!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Provider wise would have been the Dodo dialup.  Unreliable with constant dropouts and the speed would go to crap in peak times.

At the time I thought maybe it was the modem I had but after changing ISP the dropouts went from multiple per day to under 1 a week.

In ADSL times - Fairly sure my 3rd router which was probably the first one to have Wifi - had the modem portion fail.

So for a while I resorted to using the original ADSL1 modem which is a USB connection + single ethernet port hooked to the partly failed one to provide Wifi.

In the modern day I've got things alright - even in a blackout I've got the UPS which means I can power the other stuff down and keep the modem running.

With the number of laptops I've got + chugplug for Macbook + tablets, in theory I could probably surf continuously for a couple of days.

• Haha 1

Bar WiFi in a camp ground in Africa where a couple of dozen people were sharing a single 2G GPRS connection (about 64k)

But hey, it was free at a camp ground charging about $5US per night - at a time when most accommodation in Australia would charge you $20/night extra for basic internet.

And that was the month that my ISP f**ked up their webmail logon screen so that it included a 1MB+ image scaled down to thumbnail size, instead of a nice 10kB image - At least at that time they had a lightweight webpage option - I had a nice discussion with them that webmail is  not just for people at home on broadband who don't want to run a mail app, and travelers in distant places need a low bandwidth option.

But all was ok because I could still let my S60 symbian phone use pop mail through 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I had an htc Trophy on Vodafone at one stage. I found out they gave you more data than anyone else at the time. They never had to back it up because it was near impossible to get it to work long enough in one month to reach the 1gb cap. 

• Haha 2

Worst I ever got was a 9600bps modem.  All very civilised, really - just horribly slow.

Glad I missed out on the days of acoustic couplers!

• Like 1

My first online experience was probably 1981 with an accoustic coupler.  I think it was 110/300 bps (actually I don't think that type ever went over 600).

The "terminal" was in fact an Epson printer with keyboard - remembering that Epson were just about state of the art and industry standard at the time.

First home online was probably early-mid 1990s with a modem borrowed from work, probably a 14.4k job.  Fairly sure I used my Atari ST as the terminal in that case.

I had a bunch of logins to BBS's around the place, I used to dial the interstate ones up from work fairly regularly.

• Like 1

Geez... Now you are stretching the memory cells.

I rather briefly had a 1200/75 acoustic coupler on a Commodore 64. I'm really not quite sure any more what the heck I could do with it, fading memory says pay some bills via a brave new world service that lasted a matter of weeks.

I actually don't recall it as being that bad, probably because I was the only one fool enough to be giving it a try  🙂

Cheers

On 28/05/2019 at 1:04 PM, Cybes said:

All very civilised, really - just horribly slow.

Slow ?! Haha  ... Walt was always mad keen to get into it, built his own via help from various sources which definitely included the atomic mags. When he was up and running, he would be doing something ( I was not that interested then ) and go make a coffee or somesuch

whilst waiting for something to happen . Downloading stuff could be done overnight ...wooosh that was really something ! To get windows the 2nd edition ( 86mb patch ) took a day and half to download as long as the dial up hung in there

I didn't have much at all to do with it till about 1998 via my job att. write and print valuations, take jewellery pics etc. but no computer at home then. Changed jobs and went back in time re the work protocol . In some ways I'm very glad of that.

• Haha 1

2400baud rate modem to bulletin boards

interweb ?  what was that back then ?

and dial up audio couple to the university mainframe during a psych term, where if you were sneaky you could log in and play star trek; slower than2400 no doubt

• Haha 1

The old Star Trek game - the modem speed wasn't too much of a hinderance though the maps took a while to draw.

My first "proper" internet was probably around 1996 - as in home based PC and modem.

the star trek game that was a ? 10 x 10 grid, with the graphics being an asterisk for stars in the quadrant

Star_Trek_text_game.png

• Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Yep - fairly sure you could get a local sector scan as well which took even longer to print out.

Star Raiders which was Atari 8-bit computer's early killer app, was heavily influenced by that game.

On 5/29/2019 at 9:43 PM, eveln said:

Slow ?! Haha  ... Walt was always mad keen to get into it, built his own via help from various sources which definitely included the atomic mags. When he was up and running, he would be doing something ( I was not that interested then ) and go make a coffee or somesuch

whilst waiting for something to happen . Downloading stuff could be done overnight ...wooosh that was really something ! To get windows the 2nd edition ( 86mb patch ) took a day and half to download as long as the dial up hung in there

I didn't have much at all to do with it till about 1998 via my job att. write and print valuations, take jewellery pics etc. but no computer at home then. Changed jobs and went back in time re the work protocol . In some ways I'm very glad of that.

That reminds me of when i Just got adsl at home.. a mate needed a 100mb program downloaded. So I got that, then downloaded the french version too because the download was so fast!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, fredzfrog said:

That reminds me of when i Just got adsl at home.. a mate needed a 100mb program downloaded. So I got that, then downloaded the french version too because the download was so fast!

"fast" it's just so relative ... ain't it ? lol

• Haha 1

😞

Not when grass grows quicker, and it did....  🙂

Here I sit waiting for a super fast net connection, maybe, but it will take 10 days for the NBN morons  to hook me up and my 4G limit may expire before then.

If I'm a bit quiet for a few days you know why.

Cheers

Cheers

• Haha 1

On 29/05/2019 at 9:13 PM, eveln said:

[9600bps modem] Slow ?!

I only meant compared to what we've become accustomed to today - 50Mbps nominally, in my case.

As it happens, I misremembered.  I did have a 2400 briefly.  That was bought to fit the budget of the time, but fortune smiled at just about the moment the 9600 released in Aus.

At some point during uni myself and some friends were over at a mates house down around norlunga when we realised that although we'd finished a really important assignment that afternoon, turns out none of us had submitted it for the group and we had about 15 minutes to do so. This guy had just moved in so the broadband hadn't been connected yet and it was *slightly* pre smartphones being common.

However

Someone had a laptop with a built in dial up modem, and my ISP at the time was internode, who included an hour of free dialup a month in every internet package. Not sure why they did that, but apparently they don't get taken up on it very often. We called up the internode support line at like 9:50pm to ask him what the phone number for the modem was, he told us he hadn't had anyone ask for that in about 5 years. Fortunately he was able to lay his hands on it, and we got the assignment uploaded about 3 minutes before the deadline. All hail dialup man, it's there when you need it!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sir_Substance said:

All hail dialup man, it's there when you need it!

Well it was there, back when we all still had pstn lines. 

Yeah,

Interesting.

Net access is so ubiquitous these days that we hardly think about it.

I don't bother with a landline, haven't for years, a cell is all I need and the net is always as close as my pocket.

Which can be a positive and a negative - I do like to just get away sometimes 🙂

Cheers