Sign in to follow this  
chrisg

My mother died

Well no one can say we didn't give her one heck of a send off.

The church was pretty much packed and almost everyone stayed behind after to have a cup of tea and a chat over sandwiches and cake, pies and pasties etc.

Her family and her church family baked up a storm, more than even the large crowd could quite consume.

Pretty much the entire family, my two girls in Perth who could not make it aside were there and most stayed on at my sister's place in the hills for a rather drunken night. I decided to stay over, probably wise. Somewhat amazingly no one was picked up by the cops but there will have been a few sore heads this morning.

I'm not sure my tea-totalling mother would have completely approved but it was our way of seeing her off.

Bye mum, you could drive me nuts on occasion but you were a great mother and had one heck of a life.

• Like 6

Condolences mate that is a horrible loss - really feel for you and hope your tomorrow's get steadily better once the shock and pain are one day less raw.

Thanks g_day.

It was very far from unexpected, in reality I was somewhat amazed that she lasted as long, and as cognisant as she did but she had her wits about her pretty much up until the end.

That said the docs did her a kindness, not by accelerating her demise, I've heard of that and it is also perfectly understandable but no, they simply kept her comfortable and let nature take its course.

It will be a while I suspect before it totally sinks in, she was such a matriarch of the family, very opinionated, always convinced she was right and very, very unlikely to apologise.

That's probably what I'll miss the most about her, she was never, ever easy to live with but it was  in a way the least I could do to keep her in her own home for as long as possible.

I guess I succeeded, in the end she was not much over a week actually at a nursing home.

Picking up the life I put to one side for a few months, is proving... interesting... I could not work for the time she needed  me of course but I have an interview that looks promising on Friday, wish me luck 🙂

🙂

That she did C|sco, possibly my dad might not be so happy that she has caught up with him in the hereafter   🙂