Sign in to follow this  
wajubalo

Installing NVME on old chipset with adapter (Z77X-UD5H)

Posted (edited)

Hey guys,

After some research I read that my Z77X-UD5H with latest bios (f16j) is compatible with NVMEs. So I went ahead and bought the following NVME drive and adapter with the intent to upgrade my OS drive for faster boot, and just giving me more storage. 

1. NVME storage

ADATA XPG SX8200Pro 1TB M.2 2280 PCIe SSD

2. Cheap adapter:

"Neon Advanced Technology" PCI-Ex4 to M2 NVMe SSD adapter card PCI-E3.0 design, backward compatible with PCI-E2.0

After updating the bios, the NVME storage was indeed detected by the BIOS. I was able to boot into Windows, see the drive and clone my main OS to it. I attempted to boot the NVME, but it kept skipping it, jumping to the next available boot option. 

I then tried installing a fresh OS on the NVME, but once the files are installed on the NVME, Windows boots and then once again, it skips the NVME. 

Problem: 

I can use the NVME as storage, but so far no luck booting into it as an OS drive.

What I've tried: 

Updated to latest BIOS firmware F16j

Cloned OS drive to the new NVME using Macrium Reflect

Used the Macrium Reflect WinPE environment to 'repair' the NVME with the hope of fixing Windows boot. No luck.

Tried installing a fresh OS on the NVME, but after files extracted to the new storage, and the installation boots the system for the next phase of Windows install, it then skips the NVME and doesn't continue the installation. 

Any advice is sincerely appreciated. Thanks! 

Specifications: 

i5-3770k @4.6ghz (delided)  
Motherboard: Z77X-UD5H
Ram: 16 gb memory
GPU: GeForce RTX 2080ti

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by wajubalo