Sign in to follow this  
hulkster

Ladders. They hurt

Last year I fell off a ladder, twice, in about 20 minutes. The second time I landed face first on the deck unable to move with my 31 kilo staffy trying to hump me. Was a great moment . Not.

Trip in an Ambulance and stay overnight in hospital then sent home of some bloody good pain killers.

Fast forward to Saturday just gone, again on a ladder, again fell off but this time onto my butt.  Knee one way, ankle the other. Nothing broken but bloody sore still.

I'm 55 years old now and have found ladders aren't as fun as they use to be. I have been told once you get to 50 keep away from ladders. Anyone else have ladder issues ?

Hmm,

No, but I confess I keep a couple of steps below the top these days when I used to happily use a step to climb right up into a roof or indeed onto a roof via the top step.

Most of the time these days I only use a small step to get to things I would have to stretch for otherwise, the days of going up two stories are a bit over 🙂

I can tell you a ladder tale though:

A number of years ago I had a cabling job that was right up one of my contractor's alley, I just had to let him into the building whilst I went of to do something else.

Come back and he is standing on the sidewalk.

"All ok? " I ask.

"Was until someone knicked my ladder." He replies.

Yep, whilst he was working on the roof some low-life came by and half-inched his ladder.

He made his own way down and it did take a day or two to determine who-the wrath of God descended, not a good idea doing that in a small town... I guess the idiot's nuts swelling went down eventually...

On a separate note and I trust he will not mind, Middy has an absolute terror of ladders - heights in general I think -no idea why but I try to respect it best I can.

Cheers

yeah, ladders

i recall a job in my youth hanging curtains at a temporary cinema (on weekends), where i would balance on the top of a 12' ladder - literally on the apex

after i broke my foot in my mid-40's (slipped on the stairs in socks while porting a crt monitor - ouch ! the monitor did better than me), i now don't like jumping any height, as it was my dominant foot, and i seem to second guess and try and land on the left one, which totally wrecks any graceful attempt at return to earth

thus, i really don't like ladders... even jumping from kitchen benches (changing light bulbs and stuff) is best done using a hand on the bench, where as a youth i would vault, and used to do the stairs at the hospital in 3 strides per half run

get well soon, hulks

I don't have the best balance, and ladders aren't for me ...

Not a fan of being on them but it seems to happen a bit around the house. I think I assume I'm going to fall off them so I tend to overcompensate to make sure I don't. 

I reckon you should just dial a friend for the next ladder job hulkster 😉 ... So far so good here

It seems to me you can solve this issue in one of two ways:

1. No ladders

2. Ladders surrounded by so many cushions, they’ll attract Bedouins...

In my mid 20s I painted much of the outside of my house using a ladder with no scaffolding which probably equated to the best part of 1,000 trips up and down a 12/24 foot extendable so I was pretty competent and got some good leg muscle workout in the bargain.

Yesterday I went into an attic via one of those pull-down types that give you about a 70 degree angle and didn't find it much fun.

In between times, I think about the only other time was at the start of the century when I cleaned out the roof gutters of a place I was renting before leaving.

Supposedly when you're over about 38 you can't even stand on one leg with the other elevated up (foot behind to about knee height) for more than 30 seconds - though I'm pretty sure I can.

But I have to say, compared to 25 years ago and especially compared to when I was a kid, the climbing skills are almost gone and even being elevated at standing on chair height can cause me problems.

Well my missus aint going up any ladders so this short arse has no option ! Can't say I've ever enjoyed the experience though !

I used to jump out of the cab of my lorry all the time but after landing heavily on the ball of my right foot and it taking months to repair we don't do that anymore.

Only (REALLY) scary heights incident was when I was working as yard gang at Ketton Cement. (Just after returning from Oz)

We were ordered to "Go muck out No.7 Cyclone Tower" (Sweep up the cement dust).

The "Tower" was the Gantry tower. ie: Right at the top of the building (A long Long way up. Nearly as high as a brickyard chimney)

So the team started sweeping and very quickly we became "Smogged out" with the dust.

Someone shouted "Fuxake open that fucking door"

As I was the one next to it I flung it open and so very nearly fell to my death. (Person next to me grabbed me back)

There were two doors next to each other - One went out onto a gantry.. the other was for the hoist. I'd opened the hoist door and very nearly fell out.

Even now, years later, I feel weak at the knees when I think of that.

I'm not really scared of heights as such but am definitely wary !

btw.. I still ended up in hospital that week as I got run over by a 200 tonne quarry dumper (fell and rolled but my left hand got crushed) I took my Semi- Licence with the compo (and ironically started driving heavies for the same company on agency )

• Like 1

I have trouble standing on a flat concrete floor, let alone a ladder.  Haven't been up one of those things for over 20 years.

🙂

I tend to think height is a very relative thing but I'm one of those nutcases that likes throwing himself out of perfectly good aircraft and skydiving for a few seconds.

Basically I look over the edge and mentally estimate if it is high enough to have a 'chute open, if it isn't it scares me.

BASE-jumping has a very strange lure for me that I am sure is not healthy.

i'm in no way suicidal but I was once on the roof of a 35 story building in Perth where for some reason the builders had never finished the railing so whilst walking around, we were assessing a wireless LAN shot potential, suddenly there was nothing between us and a long drop. Gave me a distinct foot tingle and I stepped back immediately although in reality I could have safely jumped from there, just had not come prepared.

My boss at the time just looked down with no concern at all. A decade later he jumped to his death from a high rise in Sydney...

I do muse on that from time to time because I miss him quite often.

Cheers

• Sad 1

I rarely approach ladders, I suffer quite badly from vertigo. My specialty is metal star stakes, and have broken ribs twice after heaving them out of waterlogged soil, the wrong way.  They have a nasty habit of giving way suddenly., and unexpectedly. But as I’ve learned, there is no easy way getting them out.

• Like 1

Oogla.

I'm up ladders often, and I have no fear. Possibly because I've never fallen off one, even if it's a little unstable. I have worried a little about the extendable ones taking my weight when they seem to bow a little at the middle and I'm cleaning 2nd floor windows. However, they always have held so far. I should worry consider I have no insurance and I work as a sole trader. I'm only part time though. I can't afford it. Too much debt, not enough income and family problems mean I can't work more right now. Oh well, that's life.

Hope you heal well.

4 hours ago, NightOwl said:

ut as I’ve learned, there is no easy way getting them out.

There is an easier way actually

star picket extractor

They vary a fair bit in quality. The one I have the handle tends to bend and after much use the picket gripper is getting worn.

My brother has a better one with a much more robust handle but it is a fair bit heavier.

For really difficult ones I cheat and use a length of chain connected to the tractors front end loader. 😛

• Haha 1

My first job was painting houses, and the next was working with flagpoles and yacht masts, so I was pretty comfy on a ladder, back in the day. But a few years ago I came off a truly shithouse little stool, and sprained a couple of fingers, which still can't fully straighten. After copping that from just three feet, I seem to have lost my bravado somewhat. 

On 6/18/2019 at 8:48 PM, Rybags said:

Supposedly when you're over about 38 you can't even stand on one leg with the other elevated up (foot behind to about knee height) for more than 30 seconds - though I'm pretty sure I can.

That seemed suss to me... Nearly 45 here, got bored of it after a minute or so. 

🙂

Are you really in your mid forties Kimmo ?

I honestly would never have guessed it, and that is a compliment by the way  🙂

Cheers

I tried the 30 second thing when I read about it and got way over - and would have been at least several years over 38.

But in the past I did have well above average coordination and balance but it's dropped off well and truly.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Kimmo said:

i got bored as well, and i'm past 1.5x the age of 38

i've never heard of that limitation; the practical issue is if you can get your pants on and off while standing on one either leg

Edited by scruffy1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, chrisg said:

Are you really in your mid forties Kimmo ?

Yeah, and still getting called matey... 

🙂

Geez man...

I'm 67 this year and in no way do I even vaguely feel it  🙂

Cheers

9 hours ago, Kimmo said:

My first job was painting houses, and the next was working with flagpoles and yacht masts, so I was pretty comfy on a ladder, back in the day. But a few years ago I came off a truly shithouse little stool, and sprained a couple of fingers, which still can't fully straighten. After copping that from just three feet, I seem to have lost my bravado somewhat. 

I'm 46 and find I can do it on my right leg, but lack balance on my left. I know a bit of yoga would fix that right up.