On 7/3/2019 at 6:24 AM, CheekyChops said:

I'm now a competitive dancer and Allstar cheerleader! It's not like the cheerleaders you see on the sidelines at footy games though, Allstar cheer is a sport in its own right and we compete against other Allstar squads from all over Aus.

love you Cheeky!  :P :P :P :P

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 02/07/2019 at 2:40 PM, chrisg said:

🙂

Why would I bitch about 'phones?

My Oppo does everything I could ever want and change, a very under-rated brand that has thus far lasted longer than my last half dozen or so.

In all seriousness once the dust settles I'll probably upgrade it to their latest if Vodaphone doesn't price it out of contention, and they probably wont. I really do like the mesh networking feature, for complex reasons. No it's not original but in Oz conditions where reception can easily fall off a cliff it can make a big difference to still be able to communicate a few kms to friends and relatives - bit amazed the Chinese Government has allowed it actually.

As for Christmas dinners... possibly a tad early 🙂

Cheers

Oh dear god. I got an Oppo and it is the worst. The OS is so very very bad. No app drawer, getting widgets and managing screens is awful. Bluetooth connectivity is appalling.  It refuses to connect with any smart wearable at all. 

I'm looking at going back to an ancient Samsung I chuckled into a drawer with great relief in preference to this Oppo. I miss my trusty Huawei. It went for a swim in the loo and died a very sad death.  Never again will I let a sales person talk me into a phone without triple checking it out.  Oppo is by far the suckiest phone I've ever used. 

🙂

Out of the box Chaos I utterly agree but the phone is just a platform, a couple of hours of configuration and I am utterly happy with it, that was over a year ago.

Android rocks, get with the plot  🙂

Cheers

19 minutes ago, chrisg said:

🙂

Out of the box Chaos I utterly agree but the phone is just a platform, a couple of hours of configuration and I am utterly happy with it, that was over a year ago.

i'm with chris re android

i am loving the relatively ancient nexus 5 which runs lineage 15.1 (android 8.1) sweet and smooth; the interface of lineage is excellently configurable, and no bloat

downside ? you need to jailbreak the phone and flash a new bootloader - but what's that to a nerd ?

🙂

About a minute - if I'm lazy  🙂

Cheers

I had dealings with an Oppo, similar dislikes.  You have to remove active/history apps one at a time which is utterly stupid (though Android in general is a PITA in that it doesn't give you any indication of which apps in the history have been flushed to reclaim memory).

The funny thing with Android phones is that the most annoying ones are usually those where the manufacturer has decided to go their own way with a UI and customize other aspects of the OS which have the result of making it worse.  Huawei's "dream UI" (I think it's called) was annoying to the point that I just replaced the whole thing with the Nova launcher.

The usual commonality I've found is that they try to make the look/feel like iOS which in more cases that not turns into a big fail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisg said:

Don't want to blow your mind or anything but I do believe Huawei and Samsung are also generally Android phones.

• Haha 1

🙂

Of course they are Nich but Voda gave me the Oppo whereas a Huawei was going to cost.

Two hours later I had pretty much exactly what I wanted and actually whilst I somewhat agree with Ry over manufacturer tailored apps the Oppo ones are not bad and I've so much memory left that I really do not care that I've never yet used some of them.

It took a littler bit of patience, but not much and I'll be heading back to Oppo when this one ages out, no doubt about it  🙂

Cheers

Oh I'm sorry I thought you were talking to Chaos about her phone, not having a conversation with yourself!

🙂

Just talking about Oppo in general  🙂

I really do fail to understand why so many people, including most of my family are so into iPhones, over-priced and under powered in my opinion.

Cheers

secret is not to go for the "latest" but the best specced older models - hence the nexus 5, apart from its poor track record for the (relatively simply fixable) power button failure

then head over to xda and find the magic you need  🙂

lineage os, which was pretty much cyanogenmod's offspring is android, but with innumerable elegant improvements to the interface, and no bloat at all

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LineageOS

sorry chaos, it woun't improve shitty bluetooth hardware - noting my nexus 7 tablet has way less range ability for bluetooth than the nexus 5 phone

🙂

I begrudgingly use Blueshit when I must - useful for linking Spotify to my hi-fi not sure what else it really does that I can't do another way.

No, I do not talk on the 'phone when in my car, nothing ever gets so urgent that it cannot wait until I pull over.

Cheers

bluetooth here wins for easily listening to the good speakers in the living area without having to boot up the htpc; access to the home server and pandora on the nexus 5 is great, and less ads

• Like 1

I spent four years on Android, went back to iPhone.

Time is money and I can’t be arsed tweaking and configuring a phone.

🙂

I'd never figured you for an iSphere person Leo,.

You can't work all the time, I enjoyed bending Android to my will during after hours  🙂

Cheers

3 hours ago, Leonid said:

I spent four years on Android, went back to iPhone.

Time is money and I can’t be arsed tweaking and configuring a phone.

time is time, which can be converted to money if that's your inclination

personally i find i-things really annoying for their inclination to demand you mast do it their way

having seen major music libraries converted to a pile of anonymous alphanumerics, and then "blessed" with apple's assumption of digital ownership, you can have it on that point alone

"tweaking" is a once off investment for effort, after which the beauty of my personal preferences being left unmolested by an operating system with the discretion of a fascist tyrant is an ongoing dividend

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, scruffy1 said:

"tweaking" is a once off investment for effort, after which the beauty of my personal preferences being left unmolested by an operating system with the discretion of a fascist tyrant is an ongoing dividend

Costs me something like all the spare time in three or four weeks, per phone. But there's no fucking way I'd consider iPhone, PMSL. The whole point of all that tweaking is to get the most out of the device, not dial it back to some lowest common denominator drivel.

Some of the tweaks are personal preference, like actually using some of today's crazy resolution to show a high dpi, others are the sort of thing that just becomes standard one day, like being able to set longpress and double tap shortcuts for each of the three buttons a phone should have on the front... 

Bloody iOS is balls. I have to use an iPad for work, can't tweak it for shit. Don't like the default longpress time? Bad luck, though  apparently good enough for all the folks who think Apple is hot shit. Etc

Edited by Kimmo

🙂

I never bothered to add up the time but it wasn't much, to get my android optimised to suit me, with an iPhone, from what I've seen it would be zero because it tells a person what to do and how and when.  Call me radical but I do not like that....

Cheers

On 7/6/2019 at 11:30 PM, chrisg said:

🙂

About a minute - if I'm lazy  🙂

Cheers

One minute to root it but two hours to configure Android to your liking?

Tell me again how Android rocks? lololol

🙂

Not exactly Twinny, it's sort of an enjoyable endless journey, something that those trapped in the iSphere will never understand  🙂

Cheers

15 minutes ago, chrisg said:

🙂

Not exactly Twinny, it's sort of an enjoyable endless journey, something that those trapped in the iSphere will never understand  🙂

Cheers

I'm across all mobile hardware and operating systems.

It's a horses for courses approach.

I very much understand what is required and when, nothing to do with being trapped.

• Like 1

🙂

In which case we are on the same page - I joke about the iSphere but it really doesn't bother me if someone prefers it, just not the way I roll.

Cheers

19 minutes ago, chrisg said:

🙂

In which case we are on the same page 

Cheers

Not really. I could not be fucked wasting two hours configuring a phone...
I don't even spend that long configuring my laptop to how I want it.

Probably because it's a MacBook and works as required immediately.

🙂

Horses for courses, I don't regard it as a chore and I prefer to have things set up the way I want them, not the way someone has decided is "right" for me.

Then again having abandoned the Windows world after years of frustration and fully embraced Linux I guess there is no hope for me  🙂

Cheers

On 7/6/2019 at 8:43 PM, Chaos.Lady said:

Oh dear god. I got an Oppo and it is the worst. The OS is so very very bad. No app drawer, getting widgets and managing screens is awful. Bluetooth connectivity is appalling.  It refuses to connect with any smart wearable at all. 

I'm looking at going back to an ancient Samsung I chuckled into a drawer with great relief in preference to this Oppo. I miss my trusty Huawei. It went for a swim in the loo and died a very sad death.  Never again will I let a sales person talk me into a phone without triple checking it out.  Oppo is by far the suckiest phone I've ever used. 

One of my client's 6yo daughter thought it would be fun to flush my Samsung S7 down the toilet last week. We didn't believe her when she told us that's where she'd hidden it. Fortunately it was too big to flush away, and it survived without any apparent problem. Go Samsung! That said, my S5 died when it fried on the charger. If I had left it much longer it would have caught fire. It was too hot to touch and the metal of the charger and USB slot had melted.