Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So long.

It has been so long since my departure from what, at the time, was a significant part of my online life. From the forums to [AC-DC] and the gaming community. Atomic was a tight nit community were  I felt I belonged and was appreciated. Was huge shock and personal disappointment when it ended for me but returning to find the shattered remnants of a once iconic forum is almost as bad. Since I have been gone I have drifted away from home computing but have stuck to my core interest of electronics and photography. I have grown a business, extended my family and developed a new interest in single board computing. No longer do I sit in front of a monitor I now love to get out and explore outback Australia as basic as I can. Me , my wife and the remotest place we can get to. The less people the better.

Will I stay around is a question that will take time to figure out, I have become older and cranky and that isn't a good thing.

 

 

IvanTheTerrible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome back mate.  Yeah, things have changed - the magazine going away had it's share of impact but the overwhelming bulk of the remainder comes from the disease known as modern social media such as FarceBook.

 

I have nothing to do with that other than keeping an account for the purpose of being able to browse.  If you head over to Dudeworld you'll probably find it even worse, I don't think there's been a post there for over a year.

As to getting far away I can well relate to that - still in Canberra and have friends & family a plenty here but it's like the fuckwit population grows by multiple percentage points each year.

 

I've been tempted to get into the RasPi and similar but as it is much of my current hobby stuff sits around gathering dust although there's lots of interface projects using Pi and others to enhance or emulate peripherals for the old 80s retro computers.

 

Would be nice to have you here under your proper handle, and while we're at it let's get LocicProbe, Lancer2K and even codecreeper back here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the name but you'd gone before I arrived.

Hopefully it will make you smile to know that people looked for your ITT av for years till they too eventually got older and busier elsewhere. Somebody is always pining for the past here .

As for being " older and cranky", well shit ! you'll think you never left... as well as pining for the past we excel at pissing each other off ...

safe passage

 

I thought old and cranky was de rigueur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i'm probably way older, and likely at least as cranky

 

get over it, and get on with it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🙂

 

Could well be....

 

Dude world just needs a kickstart  mate, always was full of life and still is, we just miss Jamie, a lot...

 

Faceebook....don't get me started...what a pile of crap, busting relationships left right and center.

 

Zuckerberg looks like some kind of demented moron to me.

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a sense of community is something I look for more as I get older.  I used to spend a lot of time on atomic, but now find I see atomic members more in real life than I do online, and even that’s not very often. Still love my tech, but it’s not a priority anymore.

 

The question shouldn’t be whether or not you should leave altogether, but how much time you want to spend on the forums. Once you’ve been a part of atomic, I don’t think you ever completely leave. It would be a great pity if long term members disappeared forever, and I still mourn the disappearance of Virt. But I hope you have a fab adventure traveling Aus, sounds awesome  🙂 Rather than leave, hop on occasionally and post updates. Pics or it didn’t happen !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i am a member of very few forums (fora, if i'm being my pedantic self) - here, ocau (it's like ebay without the bullshit, and some lovely contacts via trades), and rcgroups (due to my eclectic interests in little aeroplanes)

 

i occasionally drop in to classic platforms, where i was a regular in my overclocking prime, and i still occasionally browse and contribute to bad haiku, though rarely these days

 

i'm on one mailing list of nerdy gp's with membership about as large and diverse as  atomic green room

 

 

there is no facepage or twit connection

 

i confess i spend lots and lots of time online, for many reasons, not least of which was being a virtual prisoner after chemotherapy, but in all honesty i was an interweb whore well before i had that for my excuse

 

 

travelling and exploring is fine if you enjoy it; my favourite outing is / was to the beach to boogie board (quite proficiently), and flying my discus launch glider with the dog at the local park

 

my skin now hates sunshine enough to render both of those problematic, and although i do a bit of "flying", i am out of condition enough to probably drown in any swell large enough to conjure up a good break

 

 

the web is great for finding a weird group of people with similar interests, who would never be seen locally in such (relatively minuscule) abundance; but in the world there are enough to gather a virtual tribe from the comfort of my desk - that works for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ivan. LTNS. I'm very active on the 'disease' Facebook, but have no interest in any other social media sites. I came back here a few months ago. It's slow going though, and I find I have little time to get into the more political threads these days. 

 

For me it's been a decade of a few diamonds, and a lot of rust. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I came back a few months ago bein disillusioned with the book of face. I decided to be another voice that helped move things along again (although I'm not exactly prolific). I'm hoping things get going again with a resurgence in people who miss all the good stuff we used to get out of this community. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well fuck ! I'm glad you guys came back for more than a look-see  ... now if someone could give MooTheCow back his ITT all would continue to be well ... gotta say though I quite like the av MooTheCow 😉

Actually why not have an "Open Door " now ? I mean people are getting old and weary with the endless wait of it all 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to say though, I did prefer the days when rope was reeled out on a good ol’ flame war.  They were indeed the good times. Entertainment and challenge all in one !

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Ivan,

 

I hope you enjoy the company of other cranky old fucks : D

 

Still on the tools?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2019 at 9:44 PM, chrisg said:

🙂

 

 

Faceebook....don't get me started...what a pile of crap, busting relationships left right and center.

 

Zuckerberg looks like some kind of demented moron to me.

 

Cheers

Ahhh facebook has its uses.  If it hadn't been for Facebook I would never have connected with so many cousins living in the UK.  It's also a great marketing / advertising  tool for my business 😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DEVERE said:

Ahhh facebook has its uses.  If it hadn't been for Facebook I would never have connected with so many cousins living in the UK.  It's also a great marketing / advertising  tool for my business 😀

Welcome back, don't feed the trolls, etc

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heya Ivan. 

 

Sounds like a fine life you're living. Thanks for popping in and saying hello, it's easy to come see what's up at Atomic, have a lurk then ghost off, but a little post here and there goes a long way, especially for those of us who remember the golden era and the fondness we all had for each other.

 

You can use your original ITT account if you want. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nich... said:

Welcome back, don't feed the trolls, etc

 

Ignore Takoma.

 

 

🙂

  • Yes Sir! Very atomic! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🙂

 

He aint hard to ignore because he hasn't come back, yet 🙂

 

We used to say they never leave, I have this strange suspicion that it may be true, slowly the old names are returning.

 

I probably overstated it Dev, Facebook surely has its uses, especially for family correspondence and advertising.

 

It's just I have literally seen it more than once lead to divorces, families ceasing to talk to each other and all manner of other not nice outcomes.

 

I can't really blame Zuckerberg for it in the first instance but I do seriously wonder if a "forum of forums" is actually the best way to go, or if it should be quite so easy to use - there can be good reasons for keeping granny away from the telephone 😉

 

Also I keep hearing of major, major stuffups in this thing called "Timeline" which being I'm not a user I scarcely understand.

 

Eh, it has gone beyond being a fad but if it endures is still anyone's guess.

 

Speaking of which, could anyone have predicted that selling books on line would, in a not particularly long space of time would make Bezos the wealthiest man on earth, even after he paid out over $50BILLION in a divorce settlement !?!

 

The mind boggles at the power of a the net sometimes even after decades of using it.

 

Cheers

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chrisg said:

It's just I have literally seen it more than once lead to divorces, families ceasing to talk to each other and all manner of other not nice outcomes.

Less time bitching about facebook, more time bitching about phones (and family christmas dinners) please.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🙂

 

Why would I bitch about 'phones?

 

My Oppo does everything I could ever want and change, a very under-rated brand that has thus far lasted longer than my last half dozen or so.

 

In all seriousness once the dust settles I'll probably upgrade it to their latest if Vodaphone doesn't price it out of contention, and they probably wont. I really do like the mesh networking feature, for complex reasons. No it's not original but in Oz conditions where reception can easily fall off a cliff it can make a big difference to still be able to communicate a few kms to friends and relatives - bit amazed the Chinese Government has allowed it actually.

 

As for Christmas dinners... possibly a tad early 🙂

 

Cheers

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Ivan!! 🙂 /waves

 

ChrisG, was Facebook the actual root cause of these divorces or instances of families not speaking to each other anymore, or is it more the people involved and their specific actions that were the underlying root cause of these outcomes?

 

The platform we use to communicate with each other is simply that - a platform. It requires our input to make it what it is. I think shit people will be shit people regardless of how they choose to communicate with others. I can tell you all about families ceasing to speak with each other, and how that is not necessarily a negative outcome for those involved. The nicest thing these particular "relatives" of mine ever did was exiting out of our lives...but I digress. That's a story for another time.

 

These are my thoughts about my own personal use of social media vs posting here on the forums:

  • Times and people change. Technology changed. I have changed a lot since I was a teenager and in my early 20's when I was posting here 24/7, but in other ways I am still the same old Cheeks. I still have my geeky interests like anime/manga, cosplay, gaming, photography, fandoms, writing, and a new interest of late, video editing. These things aren't my main passion anymore, and I'm no longer spending hours in front of the dual monitors. I used to spend SO much time locked in my office. Then the advent of smaller, lighter laptops had me migrate out into to the living room to spend more time with others, and not using my desktop at all anymore. Then the advent of smart phones meant I had less reliance on the laptop, and more time with people IRL I guess. 

 

  • I have new interests, new social circles,  and I don't have the same amount of time that I used to have to devote to the forums. I'm in the gym training multi times a week, I'm at dance rehearsals and cheer practice, and i'm more active IRL now. My friends and I are making our online social media content by being actively social together IRL. My favourite thing about Atomic was the community, the friendships, and the people. The meets. Obviously getting to know people online, but getting to spend time with people IRL too was the best. Social media naturally sits well with me because it focuses on these aspects within groups of people and communities, it has never been easier to find niche groups of like minded people. 

 

  • The things that are important to me now would probably bore the crap out of most people here lol. I could be wrong though and making a big assumption!! I post about all my new interests on my social media accounts and chat about it with others who I know are equally interested. I remember one particular Atomican moderator here one time complained about the type of content people were posting here in the General Chat, complaining that some threads are more suited to a personal blog. If I recall, the statement was "Atomic is not your personal blog". It was not aimed at anyone in particular, just an observation this mod had made.  Regardless, this comment in particular stuck with me, and for the first time I started to question and second guess the content I posted here. Some things I wanted to post about felt more appropriate posting to social media rather than here once social media was really starting to take off.

 

I do miss the golden era when forum activity was at its peak here, and the hallways were buzzing with life and personalities. Social media can be a bit of an echo chamber at times - I do miss having all sorts of characters and opinions like Atomic used to lol. Who didn't love a lively flame war? I consider myself lucky that I still see many Atomicans IRL and on social media frequently. It feels a bit like school or uni, we all graduated and moved on to the next phases of our lives. Le sigh.

 

I will agree that social media is not the same when it comes to flame wars and debate - the rules of engagement on social are either messy or non existent. Us Atomicans can have a lively debate with each other, even if we have polar opposite views. We know the basic rules of attacking the idea, not the person. Well, when you have these debates on Facebook, then you have their idiot friends who dont know you jump in, or old racist Uncle Joe Bloggs will jump in and ruin everything...and then it gets personal, and then its just an actual shit fight rather than an intelligent flame war. No thanks, that's a hard no from me lol.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

🙂

 

No Cheeks, it probably almost certainly was not, it was just in the van - doesn't stop me from telling it to fuck off  🙂

 

It's great that you have moved to new levels, I suppose I have but in more incremental levels.

 

Such is life...

 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, CheekyChops said:

Hey Ivan!! 🙂 /waves

 

ChrisG, was Facebook the actual root cause of these divorces or instances of families not speaking to each other anymore, or is it more the people involved and their specific actions that were the underlying root cause of these outcomes?

 

The platform we use to communicate with each other is simply that - a platform. It requires our input to make it what it is. I think shit people will be shit people regardless of how they choose to communicate with others. I can tell you all about families ceasing to speak with each other, and how that is not necessarily a negative outcome for those involved. The nicest thing these particular "relatives" of mine ever did was exiting out of our lives...but I digress. That's a story for another time.

 

These are my thoughts about my own personal use of social media vs posting here on the forums:

  • Times and people change. Technology changed. I have changed a lot since I was a teenager and in my early 20's when I was posting here 24/7, but in other ways I am still the same old Cheeks. I still have my geeky interests like anime/manga, cosplay, gaming, photography, fandoms, writing, and a new interest of late, video editing. These things aren't my main passion anymore, and I'm no longer spending hours in front of the dual monitors. I used to spend SO much time locked in my office. Then the advent of smaller, lighter laptops had me migrate out into to the living room to spend more time with others, and not using my desktop at all anymore. Then the advent of smart phones meant I had less reliance on the laptop, and more time with people IRL I guess. 

 

  • I have new interests, new social circles,  and I don't have the same amount of time that I used to have to devote to the forums. I'm in the gym training multi times a week, I'm at dance rehearsals and cheer practice, and i'm more active IRL now. My friends and I are making our online social media content by being actively social together IRL. My favourite thing about Atomic was the community, the friendships, and the people. The meets. Obviously getting to know people online, but getting to spend time with people IRL too was the best. Social media naturally sits well with me because it focuses on these aspects within groups of people and communities, it has never been easier to find niche groups of like minded people. 

 

  • The things that are important to me now would probably bore the crap out of most people here lol. I could be wrong though and making a big assumption!! I post about all my new interests on my social media accounts and chat about it with others who I know are equally interested. I remember one particular Atomican moderator here one time complained about the type of content people were posting here in the General Chat, complaining that some threads are more suited to a personal blog. If I recall, the statement was "Atomic is not your personal blog". It was not aimed at anyone in particular, just an observation this mod had made.  Regardless, this comment in particular stuck with me, and for the first time I started to question and second guess the content I posted here. Some things I wanted to post about felt more appropriate posting to social media rather than here once social media was really starting to take off.

 

I do miss the golden era when forum activity was at its peak here, and the hallways were buzzing with life and personalities. Social media can be a bit of an echo chamber at times - I do miss having all sorts of characters and opinions like Atomic used to lol. Who didn't love a lively flame war? I consider myself lucky that I still see many Atomicans IRL and on social media frequently. It feels a bit like school or uni, we all graduated and moved on to the next phases of our lives. Le sigh.

 

I will agree that social media is not the same when it comes to flame wars and debate - the rules of engagement on social are either messy or non existent. Us Atomicans can have a lively debate with each other, even if we have polar opposite views. We know the basic rules of attacking the idea, not the person. Well, when you have these debates on Facebook, then you have their idiot friends who dont know you jump in, or old racist Uncle Joe Bloggs will jump in and ruin everything...and then it gets personal, and then its just an actual shit fight rather than an intelligent flame war. No thanks, that's a hard no from me lol.

 

The good thing these days is that the forum doesn't take nearly as long to keep up with. Long gone are the days where the morning's posts are on page 3.

 

Why don't you give us a go with your new interests. Maybe you'll get more back than you expect... Then again, maybe not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CheekyChops said:

I remember one particular Atomican moderator here one time complained about the type of content people were posting here in the General Chat, complaining that some threads are more suited to a personal blog. If I recall, the statement was "Atomic is not your personal blog"

 

Oh. Well I thought the Green Room was open for whatever anyone wanted to chat about ( legal stuff  Duh ! ) ... christ people talked about chucking meat at their person of interest. I seriously will never forget that thread or Hazard.

A place to communicate regardless of how badly one might do that * cringes guiltily *

 

Anyway, I said g'day before in that other thread ... tell me, how high can you kick your legs ? << serious question :)  ... please

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×