Sign in to follow this  
SquallStrife

My Adventures with 4G

Posted (edited)

I moved to an apartment complex which is yet to receive NBN connectivity. I have the option to take up ADSL2+, but even best case 24/1 is unusable for me, given my Twitch bitrate is 3000-3200kbps.

So I had to look at wireless.

I've settled on a prepaid data-only plan with OVO, an Optus reseller, at $99/mo for 500GB.  Not the best value, but also not the worst. 

The device I purchased was a Netgear Nighthawk M2 from Telstra, outright and sim-unlocked, at a cost of around $300. It came with 100GB of data on Telstra's network, which has lasted me just over 2 weeks with deliberately frugal use.

I was apprehensive at first, but I think the results speak for themselves, and it's only going to get better when 5G comes along.

Screenshot_20190617-182433_Speedtest.thumb.jpg.1e8b956184ca91d599c5efc5cc8df0b1.jpg

Would I prefer a fixed-line connection? Of course I would, if not just for the quota, but for the lost packets performance and having a real IP address.

Can I "make do" with 4G for a few months up to a year? I think so.

Edited by SquallStrife
  • Like 1

I don't get it - "Twitch bitrate is 3000-3200kbps. "  which equates to about an 8th of the best-case scenario of ADSL2+

Though more realistically just under a third if you get 10 mbps.

The problem with cellular data is it's so variable - get a few others on it and you'll probably plunge below ADSL2+ values.

And regardless, the ping time isn't setting the world on fire (going on memory here).

I just ran a quick SpeedTest here - got 2.25 Meg/sec worth of torrent going as well and got a 6 ms ping and the DL speed reflected the remainder of my capacity.

15 hours ago, Rybags said:

I don't get it - "Twitch bitrate is 3000-3200kbps. "  which equates to about an 8th of the best-case scenario of ADSL2+

Though more realistically just under a third if you get 10 mbps.

The problem with cellular data is it's so variable - get a few others on it and you'll probably plunge below ADSL2+ values.

And regardless, the ping time isn't setting the world on fire (going on memory here).

I just ran a quick SpeedTest here - got 2.25 Meg/sec worth of torrent going as well and got a 6 ms ping and the DL speed reflected the remainder of my capacity.

Download speed, sure. The upload speed of ADSL2+ is only 1Mbps, that's the kicker.

• Like 1

So you're using LTE Advanced Cat6 on your current Telstra? It can't be LTE Advanced Cat4 because that tops out at 150Mbps download.

2 hours ago, Jeruselem said:

So you're using LTE Advanced Cat6 on your current Telstra? It can't be LTE Advanced Cat4 because that tops out at 150Mbps download.

The Nighthawk M2 is a Cat20 device. Up to 2Gbps.