Sign in to follow this  
NZT48

Israel Folau and freedom of communication

Champion rugby player Israel Folau recently posted this on Instagram and it has been getting a lot of attention. In response Folau has been sacked by Rugby Australia. It looks like the matter is going to court. Australian Christian Lobby has raised over two million dollars to pay for Folau's legal fees.

On ABC's Q&A they were discussing this and whether or not this sort of communication should be legal. I think making any sort of communication illegal except for where it is voluntarily agreed by contract is absurd. The question should be around what Folau's contract says. I think employers should be free to sack employees for any reason, or, if there is a contract involved, any reason permitted by the contract.

Regarding the content of what Folau posted: I think these views are pretty common and I don't really understand what all the fuss is about. I think it is good to be inclusive but pretending sin is not sin is actually exclusive and dangerous. It seems almost all the fuss is about the inclusion of "homosexuals" in the list of sinners. Folau's message is a warning. He is trying to warn and help people. We should be free to express our religious views. Let's not pretend otherwise. The right to say "homosexuals are wrong" is equally as important as the right to say "Christians are wrong".

I’d like to rewind back in reverse order, so that we can unpackage the stupid.

ANZ Bank, recently shown to have defrauded 2m Australians criticises the values of a brown woman supporting her husband.

A bunch of people who ran interference for religious powerful pedophiles raise $2m for rich brown man to defend his right to post stupid shit on the Internet.

Lefty whiteys shut down a GoFundme page for the rich brown man who said some stupid shit, instantly turning him into a christian martyr and free speech hero.

A religious brown man who knows how to run and carry a ball at the same time, is fired because people who don’t believe hell or god exists, are awfully outraged on behalf of people who might have been outraged but are yet to be located - on account of an insta post suggesting god and hell exist.

Airline that transits and has a strategic partnership with a national carrier of an apartheid, sexist and homophobic country has its gay chairman issue another one of those values statements.

Brown islander dude employed to take elbows to the head and carry a ball he probably doesn’t even realise doesn’t fit the physical requirements of attaining ball-hood, makes a post on Instagram that reflects majority opinion of 15y ago and is now effectively hatespeech by virtue of the same people whose ancestors taught said religion to said brown man’s ancestors at the point of a gun as colonisers.

—-

Who wins in the battle of stupid vs. stupid?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NZT48 said:

I think employers should be free to sack employees for any reason, or, if there is a contract involved, any reason permitted by the contract.

Regarding the content of what Folau posted: I think these views are pretty common and I don't really understand what all the fuss is about. I think it is good to be inclusive but pretending sin is not sin is actually exclusive and dangerous. It seems almost all the fuss is about the inclusion of "homosexuals" in the list of sinners. Folau's message is a warning. He is trying to warn and help people. We should be free to express our religious views. Let's not pretend otherwise. The right to say "homosexuals are wrong" is equally as important as the right to say "Christians are wrong".

So you think you should be free to express your religious views but also shouldn't break contracts about said views?

7 hours ago, Leonid said:

Lefty whiteys shut down a GoFundme page

I have to say this is when my waning interest kicked in a little more . Was surprised it was able to occur really. I mean all sorts seem to get a GoFundme page going these days... I would have thought it could only be stopped if the funds were deemed to be raised for illegal purposes. I thought it was a bit harsh that another 'body' had the pull to halt the page like that.

I do sort of agree Ev, but GoFundMe can make its own rules, no one can really interfere.

Cheers

i keep hearing it's the game they play in heaven, but most of the terrestrial competitors would seem to not pass the entry requirements to the big stadium in the sky

i am however sympathetic to the annoyance of homosexuals; all the other descriptors of those going to hell appear to be a personal choice, whereas sexuality seems less optional as a path

then again, sociopathic traits and personality disorders aren't likely something people have by choice either

• Haha 1

I thought you'd the one who would bring up this topic NZ.

According to the list in the OP Heaven should be deserted .

• Haha 1

Ah that's different tho', @eveln, because DMB repents each time he serially sins.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Nich... said:

Ah that's different tho', @eveln, because DMB repents each time he serially sins.

Which is the fucking reason we are a species of fucked children 

Edit: angry about the repent shit, not at the post 

Edited by eveln

10 hours ago, Nich... said:

So you think you should be free to express your religious views but also shouldn't break contracts about said views?

There should be no law against freedom of communication and individuals should have unlimited freedom to contract.

9 hours ago, TheManFromPOST said:

working on the Sabbath is also bad, has this sportsman done that?

Dunno about that. According to the Jews Christ violated the Sabbath...

but religious intolerance hurts people

as i have said, i am left handed.  Baptists view that as being inleague with the devil . and thus i should have my left handedness beaten out of me

do you think left handed people deserve to be beaten?

🙂

If they try TMFP I'll beat them to death with my left hand, I'm extremely left oriented as well 🙂

Cheers

Posted (edited)

The goblin throws a cobbled-together explosive device at the party.

image.png.0982654b78bc3e28aa7989e745e1bf61.png

The rest of you take .....(rolls dice).... 9 burning damage.

Edited by SquallStrife
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, chrisg said:

🙂

If they try TMFP I'll beat them to death with my left hand, I'm extremely left oriented as well 🙂

Cheers

I'm just trying to point out to the OP that religious people judge others on issues that part of their natural state

supposedly a high percentage of American presidents are lefties (25%, opposed to 10% of the general population)

Posted (edited)

I don't believe being left-handed warrants a beating.

Edited by NZT48

Posted (edited)

Israel's post is both broad and scathing, and your response was "Oh but he's just trying to warn and help people!", as if the buffoon has a shred of good intention in his body.

First of all, social media is about generating exactly this kind of hype/hysteria, it doesn't matter whether it's positive or negative, people are talking about him, so he feels relevant, and will receive offers for paid promotion out of it.

Secondly, there's an old saying that goes "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar". If Israel genuinely wanted to bring people across to his faith, there is plenty to love about individual church groups that would make a good sell. "Come to church on Sunday, there's music, it's warm and cosy, the people are friendly, and there's a place to sit down!" will convert more people than "BE ONE OF US OR BURN IN HELL". Posts like the one in your OP are NOT designed to warn/help people, they're there to be divisive and create controversy, and at that, Israel has succeeded.

I wouldn't want somebody so petty and narcissistic working for me, regardless of the subject matter, and apparently, neither did Israel's employer. Organisation like Australian Rugby Union and the NRL want their players to be positive role models, not doomsayers.

It speaks volumes that the ACL is standing behind Israel, rather than distancing themselves. It's not about the good that individual churches do for their communities, it's about trying to be the state sanctioned morality police.

Edited by SquallStrife
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NZT48 said:

I don't believe being left-handed warrants a beating.

OK, now change 'Left-Handed' to homosexual

🙂

He probably thinks being left-handed is a solid indication of homosexuality.

I must be over-compensating 🙂

Cheers

I don't believe being homosexual warrants a beating.

23 hours ago, NZT48 said:

It seems almost all the fuss is about the inclusion of "homosexuals" in the list of sinners.

Well that sure, but I took exception to the " revelers " I think it's a bit harsh to expect us not to have fun. ... also having just had a look at the Go Fund Me site I can see why his page would have been stopped.

As for his views messing with his job prospects, I guess it depends whether his infamy, due to his publicly stated views, hinders his job. Perhaps his ' work ' is no longer up to par. I wouldn't know, I only know anything 'bout this bloke cos of his page being canned

3 hours ago, TheManFromPOST said:

OK, now change 'Left-Handed' to homosexual

What if it’s a left-handed homosexual?

chrisg will know the answer to that one ^^